• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is Avengers #1 such a slow grower (money wise)?

45 posts in this topic

Its not a tough book to get. Sort of like xmen 1. And both are blue chip keys that move like glaciers. One would think that when their premiere movies were announced, they both experiences the normal explosion in value, not that they were cheap even prior, but the investment potential just isnt there and others are looking at other books for that payday. If you are a collector, buy it keep it and upgrade when you ever get the chance. They do get tougher in higher grades. Again both are common as dirt in the low end.

Ya, if anything X-men 1 should be much higher but easy book to get compared to most other Marvel super-keys. I personally think X-men 1 is just as important as AF 15, as it gave birth to nearly half the Marvel Universe, but will never be in the same league as AF 15 value wise.

X-men #1 is for sure important, however there are many more copies in circulation compared to Hulk #1, FF #1, JIm 83, TOS 39 and AF 15.

Avengers 1, 4, X-men 1 are very common. Still great books just a dime a dozen in the marketplace.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

Could someone post the census stats on Brave and the Bold 28 versus Avengers 1?

???

Avengers 1 - 1972 blue labels - 2806 total

BB28 - 655 blue labels - 796 total

More than 3 times the amount of AV 1 to BB28.

High grade copies (8.0 and above):

Avengers 1 - 190 (58 in 9.0 and above)

X-men 1 - 233 (67 in 9.0 and above)

Brave and the Bold 28 - 51 (13 in 9.0 and above)

Those are just the slabbed copies at CGC. I have seen hundreds of both Avengers 1 and X-men 1 raw in market. Very few Brave and the Bold 28 raw.

Quick eBay check:

X-men 1 - over 50 copies for sale on eBay (stopped counting at 51)

Avengers 1 - over 50 copies for sale on eBay (stopped counting at 51)

Brave and the Bold 28 - ~29 copies for sale on eBay (a few coverless)

Good input! Thank you.

(thumbs u

Could someone post the census stats on Brave and the Bold 28 versus Avengers 1?

???

Avengers 1 - 1972 blue labels - 2806 total

BB28 - 655 blue labels - 796 total

More than 3 times the amount of AV 1 to BB28.

High grade copies (8.0 and above):

Avengers 1 - 190 (58 in 9.0 and above)

X-men 1 - 233 (67 in 9.0 and above)

Brave and the Bold 28 - 51 (13 in 9.0 and above)

Those are just the slabbed copies at CGC. I have seen hundreds of both Avengers 1 and X-men 1 raw in market. Very few Brave and the Bold 28 raw.

Quick eBay check:

X-men 1 - over 50 copies for sale on eBay (stopped counting at 51)

Avengers 1 - over 50 copies for sale on eBay (stopped counting at 51)

Brave and the Bold 28 - ~29 copies for sale on eBay (a few coverless)

Good input! Thank you.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

Thanks I purchased it from Heritage Auctions.

Link (Paid almost 8400$ but I really wanted it since it has very nice eye appeal):

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-brave-and-the-bold-28-justice-league-of-america-dc-1960-cgc-fn-60-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7147-91236.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

This seems very strange to me as The Avengers movies (And the future looks very bright as well as there are more and more movies that will be released) have done very well and they have become one of the favorite super hero teams of all time.

I would have thought it would have passed BB28 but not even close why is this?

I am a big fan of The Avengers and will pick up a mid grade Avengers #1 some time in the near future. To be honest I prefer The Avengers story line much more than the Justice League Of America series (I will still keep my BB28 and I have zero intentions of selling it).

Avengers 1 experienced a huge run up already. If it kept growing at the same rates that it grew at leading up to the first Avengers movie, its prices would be at AF 15 levels now.

It hasn`t passed B&B 28 because Avengers 1s are a zillion times easier to find than B&B 28s.

Agreed. Saw this thread title and was surprised.

Have we hit the point were if comics are not doubling evey year we're disappointed?

Agreed. Saw this thread title and was surprised.

Have we hit the point were if comics are not doubling evey year we're disappointed?

Yes. :sumo:lol

I think some people may be surprised that the success of the first Avengers movie (not AoU) has not translated into a larger run up compared to some of the individual character 1st appearances (e.g. TOS #39 or JIM #83). As previously stated, there are just too many copies of the later Marvel #1s around. Don't get me wrong, Avengers #1 (and #4) is a book that tends to sell fast at shows, but if you are looking for price appreciation there are better Marvel SA keys for that.

It is like the BA #12 vs. NM #98 value comparison. In 9.8 and lower the BA 12 price is much higher since there are fewer available copies relative to NM 98. Both Harley and Deadpool are extremely popular characters, but the overabundant supply of NM 98 curtails its value a bit.

Edited by kimik

I can't let this thread die with what Bunky said about the Avengers #1.

hm

lol

I love Avengers 1 but the bottom line is there are no first appearances and it's a gathering of existing characters. It's not like The FF with an intro of all heroes.

It's just not as hot a key book in my eyes as TOS 39, JIM 83, TTA27, etc.

I can't even accept the premise of this thread that Avengers 1 is a slow grower in terms of price. Compare today's price to the twelve cents at which it was available only 52 years ago. Either that or compare its price today to that of almost all other comics that came out in 1964.

:preach:

Its not a tough book to get. Sort of like xmen 1. And both are blue chip keys that move like glaciers. One would think that when their premiere movies were announced, they both experiences the normal explosion in value, not that they were cheap even prior, but the investment potential just isnt there and others are looking at other books for that payday. If you are a collector, buy it keep it and upgrade when you ever get the chance. They do get tougher in higher grades. Again both are common as dirt in the low end.

I agree completely. Quantity plays a part every time. Another good example is Fantastic Four #48 - very common in the high grades. The only two books that come to mind that constantly defy the quantity hypothesis are Incredible Hulk #181 and Giant-Size X-Men #1.

Book is EVERYWHERE, and most collectors have their keeper copies,

and nobody else really cares, IMHO

Yeah well we all can't be pre-robin detective collectors.

Book is EVERYWHERE, and most collectors have their keeper copies,

and nobody else really cares, IMHO

I don't have a keeper copy and I really care.

Ditto :)