• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has there ever been a first appearance only on a cover?
1 1

100 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I've seen that ridiculous Liefeld before-- did he also draw the bloated cap too?

It said Quesada on the cover right below Wolvie's right hand. That's who I assumed drew it....It's like they all were wearing a wind breaker type costume that a gust of wind came by and created the inflatables

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It said Quesada on the cover right below Wolvie's right hand. That's who I assumed drew it....It's like they all were wearing a wind breaker type costume that a gust of wind came by and created the inflatables

It's like the artist somehow becomes 'blind' to their pictures faults - they are so invested in its creation that they can no longer see that it has gone wrong. What is it in Liefeld's eye for example that makes him decide that his Captain America picture is fine and won't in any way harm his reputation? And yet every other human being on the planet looks at it with amused horror. He has lost the ability to judge it somehow, having spent so long looking at it. Its a bit like when you say the same word over and over in your head, it starts to lose meaning and not sound right, but you know it is right, so use it with confidence. When Liefeld submitted that picture, the Editor or whoever should have said "No Rob, that one hasn't worked mate. Try again". What we need in life is more people who are prepared to say "No Rob, that hasn't worked mate. Try again". If there were more people like this in life we maybe would not have had Rogue One, the Stallone remake of Get Carter or the New Boards.

23 hours ago, Davidone said:

Ronin first appears on the Quesada variant of New Avengers vol.1 #1. Next he appears on the cover of New Avengers vol. 1 #4 variant, solo. He doesn't actually appear in the story until issue 11.

Screenshot_2017-04-11-12-52-17-1.png

The sig of this cover should read:

Quesada after Liefeld

59 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

The sig of this cover should read:

Quesada after Liefeld

Quesada gets full credit for the cover because Liefeld would never get a human boot onto Captain America.

The "New" powerless and sans costume Wonder Woman is announced on the cover of issue 178 - but in the story she appears in costume and with her powers. Diana doesn't give up her powers and costume until issue 179. 58eeef2709492_Wonder_Woman178.jpg.1dc386d850690067a585668359a94994.jpg

I was actually discussing with a local collector over Red Hulk 1 and pulled up the thread to show him and give other examples. The CFD just caught my eye. I also thought any other instances in the last war could get added. The Ronin info is actually relevant now with the renewed interest. There is nothing wrong with getting correct info out there. 

Edited by Hey Kids, Comics!

Not exactly on topic, but adjacent: Valiant's new Doctor Mirage appears in Shadowman #5, but not on the cover. She appears on the cover of a later issue of Shadowman (11 or 12 maybe?) but not in the issue. The first books in which she appears on the cover *and* inside is the first issue of her first mini-series.