• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DEADPOOL 2 (2017)

764 posts in this topic

Saw Solo on Saturday, Deadpool on Memorial Day, liked Deadpool more.  Just as funny as the first and roughly as good, but one minor quibble:

Spoiler

I was REALLY happy that Juggernaut was the hidden baddie, but they didn't do enough with him.  The scene where he rips Deadpool in half was freaking AWESOME, but I really wanted to see him plow through a wall, or a building, or some kind of really impressive display of force.  I generally enjoyed how they had him plowing through walls in the third X-Men film, but he looked too small for that to be believable.  This version DEFINITELY looked like he could plow through anything, but they didn't have him do much of that aside from when he plowed through that bridge which they didn't even show him doing, just the effects of it.

I imagine it was a CGI cost savings to avoid major scenes of destruction featuring him, but I really hope to see that someday.  Maybe after Disney gets the X-Men back.  

Edited by fantastic_four

Just saw it. I had fun, but wish it had the courage to follow through on what it's pretending to be. Hard to mock superhero cliches and conventions and then follow those same formulas. If there are more tired plotlines than "revenge for the dead girlfriend/wife" or "saving the kid before he turns bad" I don't know what they are. The fact that Deadpool 2 not only treats these threadbare storylines with a straight face, but asks US to treat them seriously in a movie that frames itself as a sendup of the genre, is a serious misfire. Total missed opportunity. 

Lots of other good stuff though. The team's first/last outing was hilarious, Domino was perfect, Reynolds plays a great Deadpool, and I loved seeing the Juggernaut done right.

Loved the inside jokes including reference that Rob Leifeld can not draw feet.  I'm glad Rob has a great sense of humor.  Did he have a cameo in this movie as well?  I wasn't sure if he was one of the armored truck drivers.

Loved the actress that played Domino.

Thought Brolin was too puny to portray Cable.  I thought John Cena from WWE would have been a better choice.  

All the previews shown in commercials were cut from the movie.  A little disappointed not to see more X-Force in action.  Director's cut will be released for sure.

Cheers!

N.

Edited by NelsonAI
typo

The gigantic and over-powered X-Men character broke into the film late in its second act, where he would have a bit of a fight with Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool before appearing later the film to duke it out with Colossus. As it turns out, the mutant was not only voiced by Wade Wilson actor Ryan Reynolds also but never actually existed on set outside of some stunt men standing in.

"We had somebody in a gray suit, you know, performance capture, but we weren't recording," Leitch told ComicBook.com. "It was only for a reference on film. We weren't recording mo-cap. He's completely animated and so, we just thought, because his geometry, he's so tall, getting performance capture onset for his physicality wasn't effective. If it was going to be an actor where we saw his face, we would probably have done a face rig, but it wasn't that situation. So, we had different stunt performers at different times play him as reference, but it was never a mo-cap situation."

For the Essex House throw down, however, there were a pair of stunt performers going at it to make the fight look as realistic as possible, in terms of the characters' movements.

"I'll say this though, for the fight scene at the end with Colossus, we did do mo-cap reference, and so we had a smaller stunt performer -- maybe like, 5' 7" -- fighting a guy who's 6' 4", 6' 5", and tried to get more proportions right," Leitch said. "And we did the fight scene in mo-cap and put cameras on it. And it was still just a reference for the animators, it was really some great animation done by Framestore that pulled us over the finish line."

In a rare moment for current cinema, the Juggernaut's appearance was withheld from marketing despite being a fan-favorite character who might have sold some more tickets.

"Deadpool gets to do all the fun marketing things that no one else gets to do, and we were trying to be provocative with the marketing," Leitch said. "We were trying to be shocking. [Ryan Reynold is] sort of the keeper of the brand and he has a lot to say with that. And he was really passionate about keeping Juggernaut a secret, just like he is in the -script. It's like, if you knew he was in it, then you would subvert that moment in the prison where Russell and Wade are talking about the monster in the basement, and you kind of subvert that moment for the audience and it's not as entertaining."

Already at $255M Domestic. Wow!

And it was the Sony Chairman who held back Deadpool for years because he did not believe these films had a market.

Deadpool Creator Rob Liefeld Calls Out Former Fox Executive Tom Rothman For Keeping Movie [Back] For So Long

During a recent interview with Variety, Deadpool creator Rob Liefeld revealed the name of the executive at Fox who kept the film grounded all those years. His name is Tom Rotham, and he's currently the Chairman of Sony Pictures. He was previously the chairman and chief executive officer of Fox Filmed Entertainment. This is what Liefeld said when asked who was preventing Deadpool from getting made:

"I’ll jump on the sword. I don’t really work in the movie business, so I’ve always been able to navigate and speak freely. The answer is two words: Tom Rothman. He is now the [chairman] of Sony. I wish him well. He’s a canny operator in the business. But when he gets it in his mind to dismiss something — nothing seemed to push him over the edge. I thought for sure [he would be on board] when he saw how good Deadpool looked and moved [in the test footage], but for whatever reason, we had an opponent to the film.”

Tom Rotham is also notoriously the guy behind X-Men: Origins Wolverine and how Deadpool ended up appearing in that movie. Thankfully, former Fox chief Jim Gianopulos ended up seeing the light and ultimately greenlit the Deadpool film. Liefeld went on to share what it was like for him when he found out the movie was getting made:

"I cried like a baby, and it wasn’t just for me. It was for Tim [Miller] and Ryan [Reynolds] and Rhett [Reese]. The -script you saw in 2016 was written in 2010."

Now the Deadpool franchise is thriving and we are getting an X-Force film and I'm sure we'll see more Deadpool movies! The success that Deadpool and the other Marvel films are seeing right now is proof that the superhero genre is not going away anytime soon. But, there was a time when some studios thought that it wasn't going to last.