Anyone planning on seeing Hardcore Henry?

22 posts in this topic

1,957 posts

This movie looks like it was taken from a comic book. But I'm still on the fence about this one. I really don't like movies that have shaky cam effects from any pov. I am curious if it will bother me as much since it's a first-person pov. It doesn't bother me in fps video games and that's what many reviewers compare this to.

I also wonder if this will open a new perspective for comic-based movies or just be a flash in the pan fad?

11,110 posts

No, got a headache just watching the commercial. :ohnoez:

8,814 posts

It's getting some positive reviews, I'll probably check it out, noticed there was a 7:00pm screening on Thursday evening that has a Q&A with the director.

16,930 posts

Looks good enough to see it :)

82,956 posts

What's not to like?

3,635 posts

+1.

10,378 posts

+1.

+2

19,605 posts

+1.

+2

I'm betting if you can handle the shaky cam, it'll be a pretty fun movie. if you can't, then obviously the movie won't be as fun.

7,531 posts

I bet this will be awesome on the Oculus Rift.

88,995 posts

Hardcore headache.

1,650 posts

I won't be seeing it. Just watching the previews in the theater made me sick, I cannot imagine sitting through two hours of that.

10,378 posts
I am curious if it will bother me as much since it's a first-person pov. It doesn't bother me in fps video games and that's what many reviewers compare this to.

I think the first-person-shooter comparison is valid, but the difference is that the FPS games are controlled by the player. You want to go left, you press the correct button. You want to jump, you press the correct button. There's no "surprise" or "disorientation" of moving or jumping because you're in control. The movie takes away your control, and makes surprise and disorientation a constant feeling.

8,814 posts

Surprised to see that today the RT rating has dropped from in the 80's to a shocking 50's. Uh, I don't think I've seen an RT score drop like that before.

8,814 posts

OK, so if you're not familiar with how this movie came about, you may have seen this music video from a couple years ago from Biting Elbows.

This director had a GoPro and went snowboarding, but he didn't know how to snowboard so he didn't get any footage. A friend of his borrowed the GoPro and did some parkour. He like the footage and it gave him the idea for the music video, which was popular enough that they did a gofundme for this movie, Hardcore Henry. If you liked the music video and think you can take a hour and a half of even more extreme, bone breaking, blood spilling action, then go for it. Seems there was a comic that was given to those that went to the 7pm fan experience showing tonight (only about a dozen people at the local theater, so there might not be a lot of them around if this movie is a hit, though that's not likely). Wonder if it explains why the head bad guy has super powers?

3,115 posts

I kinda wanna see it but I feel like I should take some motion sickness medicine before going into the theater.

82,956 posts

Finally got to see this movie. I liked the approach, but man at times does the same viewpoint when the action gets going can make you a tiny bit sick.

Sharlto Copley (District 9) deserves some form of award with all the characters he played as avatars for the same individual. For a simple film, quite the acting display.

11,177 posts

This is out on dvd now for those that may have an interest. :flamed: