• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone planning on seeing Hardcore Henry?

21 posts in this topic

This movie looks like it was taken from a comic book. But I'm still on the fence about this one. I really don't like movies that have shaky cam effects from any pov. I am curious if it will bother me as much since it's a first-person pov. It doesn't bother me in fps video games and that's what many reviewers compare this to.

I also wonder if this will open a new perspective for comic-based movies or just be a flash in the pan fad?

No, got a headache just watching the commercial. :ohnoez:

+1.

+2

I'm betting if you can handle the shaky cam, it'll be a pretty fun movie. if you can't, then obviously the movie won't be as fun.

I am curious if it will bother me as much since it's a first-person pov. It doesn't bother me in fps video games and that's what many reviewers compare this to.

I think the first-person-shooter comparison is valid, but the difference is that the FPS games are controlled by the player. You want to go left, you press the correct button. You want to jump, you press the correct button. There's no "surprise" or "disorientation" of moving or jumping because you're in control. The movie takes away your control, and makes surprise and disorientation a constant feeling.

OK, so if you're not familiar with how this movie came about, you may have seen this music video from a couple years ago from Biting Elbows.

This director had a GoPro and went snowboarding, but he didn't know how to snowboard so he didn't get any footage. A friend of his borrowed the GoPro and did some parkour. He like the footage and it gave him the idea for the music video, which was popular enough that they did a gofundme for this movie, Hardcore Henry. If you liked the music video and think you can take a hour and a half of even more extreme, bone breaking, blood spilling action, then go for it. Seems there was a comic that was given to those that went to the 7pm fan experience showing tonight (only about a dozen people at the local theater, so there might not be a lot of them around if this movie is a hit, though that's not likely). Wonder if it explains why the head bad guy has super powers?

Finally got to see this movie. I liked the approach, but man at times does the same viewpoint when the action gets going can make you a tiny bit sick.

Sharlto Copley (District 9) deserves some form of award with all the characters he played as avatars for the same individual. For a simple film, quite the acting display.