• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Emerald City Comic Con, March 2-5, 2017, Seattle, Washington
2 2

171 posts in this topic

Silvestri, Latour, and Ramos added today, plus some others.

With now six of the seven original Image founders, I suspect we will see an announcement of Jim Lee in the coming weeks as a guest an then perhaps Image will announce something special event wise as well to coincide with the convention, just would seem a perfect opportunity with Image's move to th pacific northwest and their 25th anniversary this year.

With now six of the seven original Image founders, I suspect we will see an announcement of Jim Lee in the coming weeks as a guest an then perhaps Image will announce something special event wise as well to coincide with the convention, just would seem a perfect opportunity with Image's move to th pacific northwest and their 25th anniversary this year.

When this group first formed Image I stood in line outside a New York LCS for hours in the cold. They were supposed to arrive earlier for the signing but didn't roll in until around noon (my feet were froze). Most of them were wearing dark sunglasses and strolled in like they were rock stars. 25 years...been a long time. lol

Have they announced any dates for this years Image Expo?

When this group first formed Image I stood in line outside a New York LCS for hours in the cold. They were supposed to arrive earlier for the signing but didn't roll in until around noon (my feet were froze). Most of them were wearing dark sunglasses and strolled in like they were rock stars. 25 years...been a long time. lol

In the very early 90's when I worked for the main comic distributor one of my duties was to deliver the comics twice a week (yes back then comic stores got in shipments twice weekly) and on my route was the store McFarlane co-owned. At times he would do a store signing so I would go down early and hang out with him before people would show up. During one such signing he said to me "Can I share you some ideas I have?" and I said "Absolutely". He then proceeds to show me preliminary sketches of various characters which later would be come Spawn, etc. They were rough pencils, some inked, showing all four sides, his chain, cape, etc. He proceeded to tell me all about it and how he wanted to start a company up by creators. He is one of the coolest guys out there, I still cherish those memories because he was so down to Earth and then we proceed to look through all of my Amazing Spider-Man issues from his complete run as he signed them and tell me things about the covers he liked and didn't like. About four years ago he was up here in Seattle for the PAX convention but wasn't really announced, he was there for his Halo line. Even though nearly 20 years had passed he recognized me, got up from his tabled walked over and gave me a big hug and we got caught up. I hope I can make it over to his table to say hi at ECCC, but leaving my booth is generally difficult.

With regards to an Image Expo, one would think they would have one with the recent move to Portland, the founders all being in town, the 25th anniversary, and that they have held an Image Expo here the last two years to coincide the day before the convention starts. Hopefully an announcement is made in the next week or two, and then perhaps we may hear of a Jim Lee appearance too.

Unfortunately Silvestri is only listed for one day, so I'm assuming no sketching opps? And a 25th anniversary Image event would be pretty sweet.

I read somewhere that he generally does a lottery-based thing where he picks five people and charges $200 for a blank variant cover sketch. Unsure if that is current or if he will be doing that at the show.

In the very early 90's when I worked for the main comic distributor one of my duties was to deliver the comics twice a week (yes back then comic stores got in shipments twice weekly) and on my route was the store McFarlane co-owned. At times he would do a store signing so I would go down early and hang out with him before people would show up. During one such signing he said to me "Can I share you some ideas I have?" and I said "Absolutely". He then proceeds to show me preliminary sketches of various characters which later would be come Spawn, etc. They were rough pencils, some inked, showing all four sides, his chain, cape, etc. He proceeded to tell me all about it and how he wanted to start a company up by creators. He is one of the coolest guys out there, I still cherish those memories because he was so down to Earth and then we proceed to look through all of my Amazing Spider-Man issues from his complete run as he signed them and tell me things about the covers he liked and didn't like. About four years ago he was up here in Seattle for the PAX convention but wasn't really announced, he was there for his Halo line. Even though nearly 20 years had passed he recognized me, got up from his tabled walked over and gave me a big hug and we got caught up. I hope I can make it over to his table to say hi at ECCC, but leaving my booth is generally difficult.

With regards to an Image Expo, one would think they would have one with the recent move to Portland, the founders all being in town, the 25th anniversary, and that they have held an Image Expo here the last two years to coincide the day before the convention starts. Hopefully an announcement is made in the next week or two, and then perhaps we may hear of a Jim Lee appearance too.

Wow. That sounds way better than being a fly on the wall - thanks for sharing. (thumbs u

Liefeld tweeted that he was looking forward to getting together with all of them at ECCC (but didn't include Lee) and Silvestri is only there on Friday. So, might be scheduling issue. Fingers crossed that he makes it. Ill get to see him in Dallas though fortunately.

If the panel happens, I bet its friday afternoon/evening.

Edited by kevhtx

Was that Capital or Diamond? I worked for Capital in their Seattle office in the mid-90s for about 18 months until the branch was shut down.

Ok, Ill put together a tentative list soon and we can start kicking around ideas. Probably just food and drinks would be my guess.

Any news? I tried in the past to put together a dinner (after Jazzman moved to Texas) and it was near impossible. More than happy to let someone else put one together. I've had lunch with a few boardies the past few years. BTW, I'll be available Friday only.

Was that Capital or Diamond? I worked for Capital in their Seattle office in the mid-90s for about 18 months until the branch was shut down.

When I started in 1990, Diamond was buying up Destiny Distributors which was the local distributor here. The owner of Destiny ran the Seattle location for Diamond. I think Capital had an office in downtown Seattle, and then Diamond bought out Capital and then I left in 1996, I think it was 1997 when the comic market kind of imploded on itself and then finally bounced back a few years later. I think Diamond then shut down their Seattle location in 1997 or 1998.

Liefeld tweeted that he was looking forward to getting together with all of them at ECCC (but didn't include Lee) and Silvestri is only there on Friday. So, might be scheduling issue. Fingers crossed that he makes it. Ill get to see him in Dallas though fortunately.

If the panel happens, I bet its friday afternoon/evening.

Also some of them may be in town but just not at the convention itself. I would be very surprised if there is no Image Expo this year, it just seems with most of the founders in town and the 25th anniversary this year would make for a perfect time to celebrate that. We still have a month to go, perhaps an Image Expo is still on and an announcement is imminent.

Wow. That sounds way better than being a fly on the wall - thanks for sharing. (thumbs u

Yeah great memories indeed, hopefully I can swing by and see Todd but generally leaving my booth is hard. I really don't have anything I need signed I have my entire Amazing Spider-Man run done by him all signed plus a good amount of Spider-Man #1 signed and Spawn #1's, but would still like to see him, super nice guy he is.