• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long is too long to wait for a commission?

65 posts in this topic

right, but isn't the picture with the guy holding the art, the art that was received? That looks like Hannah from Cadillacs and Dinosaurs by Mark Schultz

Malvin

I agree that is a drawing of Hannah but that does not look like Mark Schultz's work at all. I'm squinting like a madman to see the drawing better, but that just does not look like Mark's style. I've talked to Mark several times and he is very upfront about how long it takes him to get commissions done and he told me it's taking even longer now since he's kicking into high gear with following up on Xenozoic Tales and such.

Kudos to the guy giving it 10 years (well not by choice though). I gave up on my last commission after waiting 3 years for it. Got my deposit back and outside of one artist I will no longer do commissions anymore. I really wish that when artists took these obligations on they would treat it just the same as their full time paying job. When you don't deliver the goods after years of waiting then that door closes not only for them, but also colors my opinion of ever doing another one again from any other artist. If he was the only one that did it to me, I would still do commissions, but after 5 failed commissions from artists not doing the work (got deposits back on all of them thankfully) I can't put myself through that ever again.

I'm now waiting for an artist to ship the commission. Paid half in December and the balance a few weeks ago. I don't know how long this will take now. I almost feel like asking for a refund.

You should ask for a refund.

There's no excuse if it was supposed to ship and hasn't. People have time to eat, sleep, go on social media, cash your checks or ask you for your payment... they can most certainly be respectful and professional enough to follow through on their commitment, especially given the fact you've waited so long.

Agreed. Only problem is I saw the finished piece and love how it turned out lol

But from now on, I am not going to pay a deposit for work to start. Just not worth the headache. I have completed/am waiting on commissions from Stanley Lau, Rags Morales, and John Byrne. They all refused to take money down as they can't guarantee a time frame. That works for me and the artist.

Only problem is I saw the finished piece and love how it turned out lol

There's a thin line between love and hate :)

Personally, for me a negative experience in any situation, be it a beautiful woman with a horrendous personality; a high end sports car that ends up being a lemon; or a piece of art rendered by an artist who leaves a bad taste in my mouth... I'd easily separate surface aesthetic beauty from the ugliness of a cancerous personal experience.

I'd think of the wringer the artist put me through, nearly having me beg and plea for the piece and all of the inconsideration of the process and probably put it up for sale to get rid of that reminder of the experience.