• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All-Star 8 value?

27 posts in this topic

A buddy of mine who owns Southern California Comics in San Diego, CA just obtained a nice Golden Age collection and asked if I could help him find some recent sales (besides GPA) of All-Star 8 in .5 (PR). The book would grade G/VG 3.0 if not for a missing non WW story page, hence the PR .5 grade. The book is currently at CGC and I was hoping that someone on the boards knows of any similar sales within the last 18 months. The most recent sale of a CGC 1.0 for $11,950 via Heritage in February is the closest sale I could find. Any assistance would be appreciated and if anyone is interested in the book feel free to send any inquires to Jamie at socalcom@aol.com. Thanks

Chris

161715.jpeg.30da488f7254b69973c2e74db430d260.jpeg

Interested to see if this is the copy I was refering to above and if it comes back with any resto. I believe the copy I am refering to had some color touch as well as a few small tear seals. The page missing was 1/2 page out of the Dr Fate story I believe.

If it is the copy I am refering to above, it was originally bought from my friend for a little less. He also got a small pile of nice GA beaters thrown in. So that being said. probably came to 8K+

This copy was up on the bay as a buy it now for some big bucks but didn't sell.

The All-Star Comics 8 will be in my hands shortly from CGC. It already has a Universal Blue Label graded .5 I bought a collection of GA from the relatives of the original owner out of Missouri. The claim of original ownership has been established. We determined the centerfold was missing before purchasing the All-Star 8.

The missing component does not affect the WW story.

Now the trick is, how to calculate a current value without throwing it to the winds of auction. AND will that value be miraculously increased before the WW movie?

Probably so I'm hoping some clairvoyant within the Boards feels he or she has more info that I'm not privy to.

The All-Star Comics 8 will be in my hands shortly from CGC. It already has a Universal Blue Label graded .5 I bought a collection of GA from the relatives of the original owner out of Missouri. The claim of original ownership has been established. We determined the centerfold was missing before purchasing the All-Star 8.

Now the trick is, how to calculate a current value without throwing it to the winds of auction. AND will that value be miraculously increased before the WW movie?

Probably so I'm hoping some clairvoyant within the Boards feels he or she has more info that I'm not privy to.

Would you rather have the Blue .5 or would you rather have a Green label with a qualified grade? I think I'd rather have the qualified grade myself. .5 makes it seem like it's in terrible shape.

I think painting the pig blue or green still leaves it a pig

I know that would call a rare key missing pages from a backup story a a "pig" and that some would call a common but pristine new UPC variant a "gem" but most people fall somewhere in between. In determining whether I like a book I start with what part it played in culture and then how rare it is, and then about the condition, (if it's incomplete caring most about whether the parts that made it famous are still there, and then about how nice it looks, and then about it's structural purity

Would you rather have the Blue .5 or would you rather have a Green label with a qualified grade? I think I'd rather have the qualified grade myself. .5 makes it seem like it's in terrible shape.

I'd rather just have it in mylar, so I don't have to be reminded it's missing something every time I look at it.

I think painting the pig blue or green still leaves it a pig

I don't think I could ever equate this book to a "pig".

I understand what you're saying, but if the book presents like a 6.0 I think I would want to have that grade on the label, even if the label is Green.

Blue or Green, a buyer is going to see it's missing the CF. But at least with the Green label they'll get an idea of Grade.