• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Comic Box - Rookie Adventures in Buying/Selling/Cons
5 5

809 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Lead on possible collection...

This one is from an gentleman who lives out of town...Like an hour...He is going to MAIL me his list of comics (no email, no cell phone)...The local antique shop where my wife use to work referred him to me.  He said he has a price guide though so we will see. Likely be top dollar asking prices for comics that are not as old as I am hoping but of course I said send me the list.

The guy said he also has a bunch of cigarette cards from his father, most from the 1900 - 1920's.  Asked me if I would be interested in seeing the list of those...I know NOTHING of cigarette cards other than a quick Google search but I figured why not take a look?

Hopefully 2018 starts with a nice new acquisition.

Awesome keep us posted!  If you get the collection you might be able to get the cards as a throw-in.  

I've only had one interaction with a older collector that was using 'stale' guide pricing.  A little while back a friend of mine and I had visited a collection of someone that we had been in mutual contact with.  He was an older guy that still had a bunch of golden and silver age comics; it's too bad we missed out on him selling most of his collection before because I think he sold a ton of SA/GA superhero books to one of the shops in town - cough, 3 cents a comic, cough.  Anyways, he had a basket of 10 cent sups with some silver age DC books as well, about 50 in total I think (pretty much all low grade, no keys that I remember save one book).  The first time we went over there he told me the books would be no more than $10/each in bulk;  "okay I'll think about it".  There really wasn't much, but he had the first bizarro in pretty decent condition that looked like it was worth about $250-300....my friend was interested in a ton of old stuff in really sharp VF+ condition - Joe Palookas, Tracy, etc. 

A few days later I called the seller back and he gave me a price that was around $550-600, I can't remember the exact number but I knew it was higher than $10/book and when I mentioned that to him he was clearly confused, apparently he didn't remember saying that.  In hindsight I should have negotiated a sale for the 10 centers so that I landed the only book I cared about - rookie mistake at the time.

My friend on the other hand had made a second visit before I let the deal on the superhero books walk-away.  Whatever price the seller had negotiated with my friend on the Joe Palookas/ Tracy weren't the same price he mentioned to us before.  He had some crazy pie-in-the-sky value of $100 each on all these high grade rare 10 centers - based on some 'guide' value he had from the 1980s.  Not only that, because the price was stale they had to be worth at least that and much more so no way was he budging.  When it comes to comics my friend clearly didn't have my discipline because he bought the whole stack of what he was after at $100 each - worked out to several grand.   Sure the books were nice, but c'mon, Joe Palooka?  Who cares.  If he were to dump that amount of money on a dealer at a minimum the dealer would give some kind of price break....anyways my experience with people using old guide values are books are either way over-priced (easy walk-away), or under-priced.  

Just grabbed this hand-cart from HD yesterday; it will be used next weekend on what is supposed to be the worst show of the year.  It converts to a platform dolly and can easily handle 8 longs.  That elusive hernia won't catch me yet.  :wink:

IMG_1669.JPG

Edited by spreads

11 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

No internet is an indication that the guy is old and his comics may be very old.

cigarette cards 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Tobacciana/593/i.html?_sop=16&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_from=R40&_nkw=cigarette+cards

Trying not to get "ahead of myself" with the potential books...But yeah, I would *think* some good potential.

Thanks for the link! Going to do a bit more research...He is including a list of the cards he has along with the comics.

2 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Trying not to get "ahead of myself" with the potential books...But yeah, I would *think* some good potential.

Thanks for the link! Going to do a bit more research...He is including a list of the cards he has along with the comics.

I looked at a small collection last year that also included about 600 wrestling posters.  I did do some research on wrestling posters before going over but there didn't appear to be a ton of value and I didn't know how well they'd sell at local shows.  I didn't get a call back as I believe the owner sold it all to someone who could better value the posters and was willing to make an offer on the comics and the posters.  It wasn't a huge loss as there wasn't much in the comic side of the collection.

10 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I looked at a small collection last year that also included about 600 wrestling posters.  I did do some research on wrestling posters before going over but there didn't appear to be a ton of value and I didn't know how well they'd sell at local shows.  I didn't get a call back as I believe the owner sold it all to someone who could better value the posters and was willing to make an offer on the comics and the posters.  It wasn't a huge loss as there wasn't much in the comic side of the collection.

The guy said he was mailing the list just before Christmas so I should have it by Tuesday.  Don't have to wait too much longer...

On 12/30/2017 at 1:01 PM, Wall-Crawler said:

Lead on possible collection...

This one is from an gentleman who lives out of town...Like an hour...He is going to MAIL me his list of comics (no email, no cell phone)...The local antique shop where my wife use to work referred him to me.  He said he has a price guide though so we will see. Likely be top dollar asking prices for comics that are not as old as I am hoping but of course I said send me the list.

The guy said he also has a bunch of cigarette cards from his father, most from the 1900 - 1920's.  Asked me if I would be interested in seeing the list of those...I know NOTHING of cigarette cards other than a quick Google search but I figured why not take a look?

Hopefully 2018 starts with a nice new acquisition.

List arrived in the mail today.

Unfortunately, the comics are not what I was hoping - I was hoping for some sweet Marvel and DC silver age, what I got was a real "hodge podge" of books :frown:

The list starts with several books from the late 1960's to the mid 1970's of various Dell and Gold Key, ranging from things like "The Dirty Dozen" to "Walt Disney Beagle Boys", some mid 70's Charlton romance books, some low grade early Tarzan, some late 80's and early 90's random Justice League,  Legion of Super-Heroes, Micronauts, Punisher, Teen Titans, etc.

For "mainstream" there is a decent selection of Uncanny X-Men, the earliest being #23 and the highest being #233.  The X-Men interest me.  The bulk appears to be bunch of older Classic Comics from early 1940's to mid 1960's.  The Classics drive me nuts as making sure they are the right HR-N or whatever number/version make me :frustrated:and the "market" for them is difficult.  I am still sitting on a stack to process.

As for the cigarette cards, it appears to be a decent list but from my limited research, there are no "big ones"...No early movie or sport stars...But I do have to do more research. He has them all under the header Imperial Tobacco Co. but some have different company attached to the set or lot or whatever.  The earliest are from 1900 and the latest 1925.  Brief list:

• Characters from Dickens
  • British Live Stock
  • Birds Nests and Eggs
  • Gardening Hints
  • Children of All Nations
  • Flower Culture in Pots
  • Dog Series
  • British Birds
  • Famous British Ships
  • Army Corps and Divisional Signs
  • Records of the World
  • Wonders of the World

I am going to contact the individual this week. See if I have to buy all the books or can "pick em" from the list.  I still have to see everything in person too of course.  I'm interested in the cigarette cards, even out of pure general interest, but for "how much" will depend on how much I can find out, so I will see where he is at with those as well.

Just picked-up another small lot; third consisting of under 300 comics in about a month.  All old stuff, a bulk deal, that was only 'take-it-or-leave-it'.  Original owner, all readers that have been kept in the family for decades.

WC, you're a Classics Illustrated guy, I got a pile of them.  Shoot me a message ;) Not sure if there's any demand at all for these, might try and price em out cheap like I do with some other books at the show.  The coup de grace was the book below...the ASM wasn't even listed in his pile of books, it's bad he didn't have more. 

IMG_16771.jpg

6 hours ago, spreads said:

WC, you're a Classics Illustrated guy, I got a pile of them.  Shoot me a message ;)

Sorry, I know a little bit about them but don't really deal in them. Kind of like you, if I come across them as part of a collection, I will take them but definitely not an "expert" in them or anything or something I particularly "look for".

...Nice little scoop there though...What else did you get?

54 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Sorry, I know a little bit about them but don't really deal in them. Kind of like you, if I come across them as part of a collection, I will take them but definitely not an "expert" in them or anything or something I particularly "look for".

...Nice little scoop there though...What else did you get?

About 150 low grade DC: GL, WW, Superman, Superboy, Jimmy Olson, Batman/Tec, Adventure, Flash.  Mostly 12 centers, earlier 10 cent issues as well.  There's a bunch of other one-offs, but the BB28 is the reason I bought the lot.  There's a bunch of coverless stuff too I have to see if they're any key issues, and then about another 100 of the non Marvel/DC stuff (really not much Marvel, seeing the ASM was a nice bonus).  I'm happy that I'll be adding about 15 Batman/Tec golden/silver books to my runs - even if they are beaters. 

IMG_1678.JPG

IMG_1679.JPG

On 1/2/2018 at 8:29 PM, Wall-Crawler said:

List arrived in the mail today.

Unfortunately, the comics are not what I was hoping - I was hoping for some sweet Marvel and DC silver age, what I got was a real "hodge podge" of books :frown:

The list starts with several books from the late 1960's to the mid 1970's of various Dell and Gold Key, ranging from things like "The Dirty Dozen" to "Walt Disney Beagle Boys", some mid 70's Charlton romance books, some low grade early Tarzan, some late 80's and early 90's random Justice League,  Legion of Super-Heroes, Micronauts, Punisher, Teen Titans, etc.

For "mainstream" there is a decent selection of Uncanny X-Men, the earliest being #23 and the highest being #233.  The X-Men interest me.  The bulk appears to be bunch of older Classic Comics from early 1940's to mid 1960's.  The Classics drive me nuts as making sure they are the right HR-N or whatever number/version make me :frustrated:and the "market" for them is difficult.  I am still sitting on a stack to process.

As for the cigarette cards, it appears to be a decent list but from my limited research, there are no "big ones"...No early movie or sport stars...But I do have to do more research. He has them all under the header Imperial Tobacco Co. but some have different company attached to the set or lot or whatever.  The earliest are from 1900 and the latest 1925.  Brief list:

• Characters from Dickens
  • British Live Stock
  • Birds Nests and Eggs
  • Gardening Hints
  • Children of All Nations
  • Flower Culture in Pots
  • Dog Series
  • British Birds
  • Famous British Ships
  • Army Corps and Divisional Signs
  • Records of the World
  • Wonders of the World

I am going to contact the individual this week. See if I have to buy all the books or can "pick em" from the list.  I still have to see everything in person too of course.  I'm interested in the cigarette cards, even out of pure general interest, but for "how much" will depend on how much I can find out, so I will see where he is at with those as well.

Spoke with the individual this week, said I was interested in the books he had but he confirmed he would like to sell them all at once.  He then happens to mention he missed a few, that included some Batman, Wonder Woman and a few others so I asked him to kindly to send me those as well.

I have a strong inclination he may be one of those "OSPG" is the "be all and end all" and that ultimately his asking price will not be realistic. I should have the other list this week. If it comes in, I might just try to figure this out sooner rather than later and go there and see if I can look at them and work it out sooner rather than later...Or walk away.

On 1/7/2018 at 11:45 AM, Wall-Crawler said:

Spoke with the individual this week, said I was interested in the books he had but he confirmed he would like to sell them all at once.  He then happens to mention he missed a few, that included some Batman, Wonder Woman and a few others so I asked him to kindly to send me those as well.

I have a strong inclination he may be one of those "OSPG" is the "be all and end all" and that ultimately his asking price will not be realistic. I should have the other list this week. If it comes in, I might just try to figure this out sooner rather than later and go there and see if I can look at them and work it out sooner rather than later...Or walk away.

Seller said he would mail Part II of the list...Has not arrived yet. I left a message for him to see if he has sent it, etc.  

Been hectic with personal and work life so other than this, no big leads or anything of note to report other than I am hoping that Part II of this list is phenomenal lol

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:45 PM, spreads said:

I've only had one interaction with a older collector that was using 'stale' guide pricing. 

...anyways my experience with people using old guide values are books are either way over-priced (easy walk-away), or under-priced.  

My experience is that they think whatever they have is "Near" Mint upon the premise that it's "close enough". They therefore think whatever they have is "worth" the highest price they see in any guide.

:eyeroll:

On 12/11/2017 at 6:41 AM, Wall-Crawler said:

So, a turn of events regarding the local show...

The show is "dead".

Not long after my post about being approached to handle advertising, signing on, etc., the "main" organizer called me.  Long story short,  he thought about it more and decided he didn't want the hassle. Simple as that.

Some may ask why I didn't take it on myself.  Bottom line, I don't want to be the "organizer" of a "antique, collectible and nostalgia" show.  Honestly,  I would rather let the dust settle from this one and maybe make something "my own" later on.

So, out of that, will come opportunity (hopefully). What exactly, little too early but for 2018, for shows, it is looking like the following:

Northern Game Expo - April 2018 (already paid up)

East Ferris Flea Market - May 2018 *  This is a one-day flea market that takes place in an arena on a community just outside my home town that I am thinking of trying.  I went last year with my wife, solid turn out, you had to park on the road as the parking lot was full, far more than the local antique show. Tables are DIRT, DIRT cheap (like $10 for an 8 foot table).  I might try to unload nothing but cheap books here.  I also thought it might be a good place to hand out business cards. Never know what kind of newsprint gold could come your way.  Will require a bit more investigation...

Sudbury Graphic Con - June 2018 (waiting for applications to come up).  This is the largest show I do. Looking forward to it.  Will try for a "premium booth" again, but I think you pretty much have to be a "store" to get one.

Northeastern Antique, Collectible and Nostalgia Show - October 2018

Gateway Fan Ex - Late fall 2018 (TBD)

So, other than eBay (just finished last auction for 2017), that is pretty much a close on the year.  I might do a "roll up" of sorts.  As always, thanks for reading!

rantrant

Ok, so now I am pretty annoyed. Actually, I am more than annoyed.

As some of you may have been following for awhile, know that the local show that got me started, The Northeastern Show, has folded.  There were several reasons for this, mostly related to declining attendance (and I had offered ideas how to right the ship) but one reason I decided not to move forward with it when one of the organizers dropped out, is that I was not sure how much my 'voice' would actually be heard.

I also reported that the 'gate' money was being donated to one of the political causes of one of the organizers, instead of really be reinvested back into the show.  I never really knew how much though.  So, today, on Facebook I see a post from one of the organizers, still saying clearly saying "from the organizers of the Northeastern Antiques, Collectibles and Nostalgia Shows" (even though they have cancelled the show), stating that they have donated a total of $4,000 in 2017 to this cause.

WTF?

I had proposed a better venue. Didn't want to do that, too expensive. They never even bought or rented signs to put out directing traffic to the venue.  They didn't think advertising on social media or local papers was "worth it".  They didn't pay for radio ads. The list goes on and they basically did not reinvest anything back into the show and now to learn, in what is  the final year of the show, they have donated $4,000 to a local political cause?  I highly doubt I will ever be involved with a show they put on again, should they decide to bring it back at some point.

What a waste.  

13 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

So they had an agenda and it was more important to support a political cause than to build the show.  You made the right choice to not get involved. 

It would certainly appear that way.  Definitely frustrating.

Just found out this week that another group may be attempting a new local show so will see what develops there.  The thing is, this town use to support a very large and successful two day antique show...While things have changed since then, I see no reason with the right venue and marketing, etc. why my town couldn't host something like that again.  

1 minute ago, Wall-Crawler said:

It would certainly appear that way.  Definitely frustrating.

Just found out this week that another group may be attempting a new local show so will see what develops there.  The thing is, this town use to support a very large and successful two day antique show...While things have changed since then, I see no reason with the right venue and marketing, etc. why my town couldn't host something like that again.  

Perhaps you should approach this other group and explore becoming involved, I know you have a lot to offer.

On 2/13/2018 at 12:48 PM, thehumantorch said:

Perhaps you should approach this other group and explore becoming involved, I know you have a lot to offer.

Thanks @thehumantorch I genuinely appreciate that!

I did get connected with one of the organizers and it is looking like I am "in".  I think they people who put this together were a close knit group and seem to be on their way and I will try this one out and see how it goes.  One of the organizers is the owner of new local antique/consignment shop.

There are a couple of downsides...One, for some reason, they have decided to start with a two day show. However, they may let me only book for one day. The show doesn't seem to have a lot of time to advertise, but hopefully they have a marketing strategy. I have always relied on my regulars anyway, so no big deal, but if the show actually has some advertising, that would be great.  The other 'downside' is it is the weekend before my second biggest show of the year.  Back to back shows not always fun, but hey, gotta do what you gotta do. I don't want to "miss out" and not get re-established quickly again with this show.

The pros are that the people seem motivated and the venue is newer and right downtown, so lots of parking and other shops.  Maybe that will help. I have never been there so I don't know about loading and unloading, but judging by the website, it is a lot "fresher" than the location of the other show.

So now, it is looking like this:

*NEW* Great Northern Antique and Oddities Show - April 21st and 22nd, 2018 (pending)

Northern Game Expo - April 29th, 2018 (confirmed)

East Ferris Flea Market - May 2018 (under consideration) - This is a huge local flea market. An 8 foot table is like $5 -$10. I'm strongly considering seeing if I can attend and bring nothing but $1- $5 books.  Nothing fancy. Just some cheap books and business cards.  I mean, for $10 even if it is a flop, all that I lost was my time and it is only like a 30 minute drive from my house.

Sudbury Graphic Con - June 9th, 2018 (application pending)

Gateway FanEx - Fall 2018 (to be determined)

So there is where we are at for now...Nothing else exciting to report.  I know I keep saying it, but I have to find the time to list more on my eBay store...

Edited by Wall-Crawler

Sounds like you've made the right call, and it's a shame the antiques show was a front for a political fundraiser - I would out someone on Facebook about this.  Just to let the public know the facts about that circus.

I'm on the shelf for my monthly shows for now, I've lost my vehicle and made no definitive plans to get a new one.  We do have a second car that's much smaller, so I will have to make a decision whether I still want to do what I was doing in a scaled-down capacity. 

5 5