• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Comic Box - Rookie Adventures in Buying/Selling/Cons
5 5

809 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, spreads said:

So I ended-up grabbing that lot yesterday; it was an hour drive back to an area where I grew-up.  I chatted a bit with the guy, but not as much as I normally would have because I had to high-tail it back to an easter dinner.

Great Lot; about three long-boxes worth that will be covered by 300 alone.  Owner had these books for years, read from the stands.  The condition as not great as most were unbagged/boarded, but he did know which books were important and those were protected.  

Highlights: 

He was a big Miller/Macfarlane guy so basically every copper-age Marvel Macfarlane was there aside from some late ASMs, and also some DC books.  

These three runs I haven't completely gone over yet, but I'm fairly confident what's there:

X-Factor - sold run, have to go through the books but I think it has the first 70 issues or so

New Mutants - complete from 1 to about 90 (too bad he didn't get the full run), includes Annuals

X-Men - big run, starts in the 100s and goes into the 270s (266, 244, 212, etc. all there)

I've already-stripped all the other books (lots of semi keys in there, some trades, and some sets I'll put together) and I've since advertised the rest into two bulk lots with buyers already scheduled to pick them up tomorrow.  I know you guys have bigger inventories, but I'm not taking that approach of having books from each title...

Oh and this book was thrown-in...he said he got it at a yard sale for a nickel - lol thought that was a myth!  He didn't think it was worth anything in the condition, unfortunately he didn't have any more. 

IMG_1971.JPG

IMG_1972.JPG

Nice, sweet little collection and that Strange Mysteries is indeed worth something.

Selling in bulk on Craig's List or Kijiji or Facebook is something I've been considering.

Nothing like what you guys have scored but here are my "paltry" Easter weekend antique store and flea market rescues...

The Adventure Comics is the first appearance of Karate Kid, Princess Projectra, Ferro Lad and Nemesis Kid, which is pretty cool.

The Doctor Strange: Oath I picked up the entire mini (just didn't bother to post all the pics).

I always try to pick up Adam Hughes covers on the cheap when I find them...The Joe Jusko cover I just thought was cool for $1.

Easter 1.jpg

Easter 3.jpg

Edited by Wall-Crawler

22 hours ago, spreads said:

So I ended-up grabbing that lot yesterday; it was an hour drive back to an area where I grew-up.  I chatted a bit with the guy, but not as much as I normally would have because I had to high-tail it back to an easter dinner.

Great Lot; about three long-boxes worth that will be covered by 300 alone.  Owner had these books for years, read from the stands.  The condition as not great as most were unbagged/boarded, but he did know which books were important and those were protected.  

Highlights: 

He was a big Miller/Macfarlane guy so basically every copper-age Marvel Macfarlane was there aside from some late ASMs, and also some DC books.  

These three runs I haven't completely gone over yet, but I'm fairly confident what's there:

X-Factor - sold run, have to go through the books but I think it has the first 70 issues or so

New Mutants - complete from 1 to about 90 (too bad he didn't get the full run), includes Annuals

X-Men - big run, starts in the 100s and goes into the 270s (266, 244, 212, etc. all there)

I've already-stripped all the other books (lots of semi keys in there, some trades, and some sets I'll put together) and I've since advertised the rest into two bulk lots with buyers already scheduled to pick them up tomorrow.  I know you guys have bigger inventories, but I'm not taking that approach of having books from each title...

Oh and this book was thrown-in...he said he got it at a yard sale for a nickel - lol thought that was a myth!  He didn't think it was worth anything in the condition, unfortunately he didn't have any more. 

IMG_1971.JPG

IMG_1972.JPG

The Strange Mysteries 12 is a book that has been high on my want list for several years ( due to the month and issue number on the cover being my date of birth, and that I collect skull covers)

6 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

I hate you guys lol

Picking up our new buy tomorrow night lol 

Found some Serbian Walking Dead/Invincible books in our last buy.  Not sure what to price them  at or if we have a chance of selling them but Mycomicshop doesn't have them and will pay for them.... I love weird stuff.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics/record?TID=24416707

5 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Nothing like what you guys have scored but here are my "paltry" Easter weekend antique store and flea market rescues...

The Adventure Comics is the first appearance of Karate Kid, Princess Projectra, Ferro Lad and Nemesis Kid, which is pretty cool.

The Doctor Strange: Oath I picked up the entire mini (just didn't bother to post all the pics).

I always try to pick up Adam Hughes covers on the cheap when I find them...The Joe Jusko cover I just thought was cool for $1.

Easter 1.jpg

Easter 3.jpg

There you go, buying a collection lol 

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

The Strange Mysteries 12 is a book that has been high on my want list for several years ( due to the month and issue number on the cover being my date of birth, and that I collect skull covers)

Thanks.  It is a cool-looking cover, presents well in Mylar.  I priced it at $100 but I'm happy to hold onto it for my collection - I just don't see cool stuff like this often.

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

Picking up our new buy tomorrow night lol 

Found some Serbian Walking Dead/Invincible books in our last buy.  Not sure what to price them  at or if we have a chance of selling them but Mycomicshop doesn't have them and will pay for them.... I love weird stuff.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics/record?TID=24416707

I remember the TWD Serbian books were super hot; I think they still sell quite well on ebay.  I had no idea there were Invincible ones as well, but it makes sense...

8 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Doesn't count :sumo:

Do you have any Vampirella variants?  I sold some on ebay to a guy in Austria a few weeks ago, he had a very long WTB list (I think he was collecting the entire run).  If you have some I'll give you his contact. 

13 minutes ago, spreads said:

Do you have any Vampirella variants?  I sold some on ebay to a guy in Austria a few weeks ago, he had a very long WTB list (I think he was collecting the entire run).  If you have some I'll give you his contact. 

I have a few but certainly not something I am "swimming" in...He can reach out to me at more_fun_comics on eBay though. I don't ship outside of Canada and USA generally though...I just find it too much of a hassle between guys not wanting to pay for shipping with tracking and for some places, how long it takes to get there in a speedy manner. I have a few international customers that I make exceptions for though but yeah, generally speaking, just does not seem worth the hassle.

25 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

I have a few but certainly not something I am "swimming" in...He can reach out to me at more_fun_comics on eBay though. I don't ship outside of Canada and USA generally though...I just find it too much of a hassle between guys not wanting to pay for shipping with tracking and for some places, how long it takes to get there in a speedy manner. I have a few international customers that I make exceptions for though but yeah, generally speaking, just does not seem worth the hassle.

I am interested. What Vampirella variants are you in possession of?

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎02 at 9:03 PM, thehumantorch said:

Nice, sweet little collection and that Strange Mysteries is indeed worth something.

Selling in bulk on Craig's List or Kijiji or Facebook is something I've been considering.

Turns out the buyer tonight was a regular at the shows, so I'm happy it's going to a good home since I won't be offering cheap 50 cent readers anymore. 

4 hours ago, spreads said:

I remember the TWD Serbian books were super hot; I think they still sell quite well on ebay.  I had no idea there were Invincible ones as well, but it makes sense...

I can't find any on ebay except on the Serbian ebay and only a few that haven't sold.  They're flip books, Walking Dead on one side and Invincible on the other.

3 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Got a lead via Facebook..."My dad has some comics he would like to sell...No, no pictures..."

Going to check it out this Sunday. NO CLUE as to what is in it. So could be absolute junk but the place is only 20 minutes away, so why not?

Let us know, these are often the stories for great buys.  Or a bunch of joke, but 20 minutes away you can't not check it out.

In other news, we have purchased a home (had the inspection today); so it looks like I need to make an effort to move out some of these books I have   :p 

On 4/4/2018 at 12:56 AM, thehumantorch said:

I can't find any on ebay except on the Serbian ebay and only a few that haven't sold.  They're flip books, Walking Dead on one side and Invincible on the other.

I am going to Poland for 2 weeks in July and will look for these books when I am there. Something like 7 cities in 12 days so I will be getting around. Not like they are next to each other but Poland is a lot closer to Serbia than New Jersey USA! I wonder how Siri will do when I say "Siri find the nearest comic book shop" while standing in Krakow!

5 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Got a lead via Facebook..."My dad has some comics he would like to sell...No, no pictures..."

Going to check it out this Sunday. NO CLUE as to what is in it. So could be absolute junk but the place is only 20 minutes away, so why not?

Hundreds in one pocket, twenties in the other! Good luck!

5 5