• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Comic Box - Rookie Adventures in Buying/Selling/Cons
5 5

809 posts in this topic

SOLD! Getting a reader. :)

Thanks guys! Yes, I did have one person that I know for sure say "I have to go to the ATM" and they never came back :sorry:

Yep, the voice of reason speaks to them. Honey, you're not serious about spending $500 on a comic are you?

Just get Karl to pull her off to the side to take her glamour shots.

SOLD! Getting a reader. :)

Thanks guys! Yes, I did have one person that I know for sure say "I have to go to the ATM" and they never came back :sorry:

Yep, the voice of reason speaks to them. Honey, you're not serious about spending $500 on a comic are you?

Just get Karl to pull her off to the side to take her glamour shots.

...Ok, gotta fill me in...I'm missing the reference...

Yes he takes lots of photos of the cosplayers him and torch work together at the cons.

Yeah, there was also a booth near us at the Calgary Expo a few years back with some pretty girls in costume. They would pose for $5 and Karl had a lot, really a lot, of $5 bills in his pocket.

Yes he takes lots of photos of the cosplayers him and torch work together at the cons.

Yeah, there was also a booth near us at the Calgary Expo a few years back with some pretty girls in costume. They would pose for $5 and Karl had a lot, really a lot, of $5 bills in his pocket.

hm

hm

All the money raised went to charity but the girls cut him off after a few pics lol

Organizers asking vendors would be interested again. Signed up and was promised my pick of spots and set up, so barring any unforeseen circumstances, I am in for next year.

Up next, the collectible show that started me on this is scheduled for April 2017. This is the one where I am really going to try to switch up my set up and display.

Update: Submitted vendor application for Graphic Con in Sudbury, ON.

This is the closest "pure" comic convention to me. I submitted pretty much as soon as registration opened and indicated I would like a premium booth (two 8 foot skirted tables, access to electricity - that I don't think I need that but maybe - Also includes up to three chairs and three vendor passes). The show advises that those spaces are limited. Really, I could easily fill three 8 foot tables as that is what I have at my local shows.

Now I just have to sit back and :wishluck: they accept me for show on June 10th, 2017. I will find out in March 2017 if I have been selected.

I am really hoping that I am selected as it will be a good "test" to see if I also want to venture out and try a larger show but this one seems to be a good mix of a larger size/more attendees, focused market and very minimal travel expenses for me. Plus, I am getting a bit of the "show" bug...Each show I feel a little more comfortable and looking forward to the next one.

IF Graphic Con accepts me, my show schedule for 2017 is shaping up like this:

* Northeastern Ontario Antique Collectibles and Nostalgia Spring Show - April 9th, 2017 (confirmed)

* Graphic Con - June 19th, 2017 (application pending)

* Northeastern Ontario Antique Collectibles and Nostalgia Fall Show - October, 2017. This show is tentative. The last Fall show was the two day show (commented about earlier) and if it goes ahead will only be a one day show.* (pending/tentative)

* Gateway FanEx - November 12th, 2017 (exact date pending, but confirmed)

So, potentially 4 shows in 2017 as of this writing. In the new year, I also plan to focus on hopefully securing a new collection or two, ramp up eBay sales. I have also been thinking of setting up an Ebay Store. I would appreciate any insights and thoughts/tips from anyone who may have one. Finally, I would like to try a few more board sales here.

Edited by Wall-Crawler

I received a call based on handing out business cards at the previous show I did. The person who contacted me is looking to unload their action figure collection. We chatted for about an 45 minutes and he sent me some pics.

They all appear to be still in original packaging. Bulk seems to be Turtles (original and reissues), various DC action figures (some reissue of Super Powers line), Spider-Man, X-Men and Iron Man Toy Biz lines and a few others but I won't really know until I get to check it out in person. A few pics of a bunch of action figures in boxes. Reasons for wanting to sell are typical. Other interests. Family.

Now this could all fall through (we are supposed to meet up after Boxing Day), as this is outside my wheelhouse other than what I can cross reference to eBay sales, is anyone familiar with any of particular figures from those lines that I should look out for in case I do end up combing through boxes?

Thanks in advance for any advice/tips.

I have been in a bit of a "buying drought" as of late so while action figures are not my area of "expertise", product is product. I have picked up a few comics "here and there" but nothing I would call really significant in the last six months. I have lots of stock to keep me going through the summer shows but things seemed to have "dried up" here lately - I did have one person contact me, eager to sell and he was supposed to send me a list and then just stopped emailing. Sigh.

Edited by Wall-Crawler

As mentioned earlier, unfortunately other than picking up a few books here and there, I have not been able to unearth any new collections to buy :( . I think the last was the small collection of Creepy and Eerie Mags.

Tonight I went and checked on the one individual who contacted me about some toys. I was pleased to see that he did have a decent collection but also still boxed when I got there and he went into a fair bit of detail, so I ended up being there for awhile (so much so that my wife texted me to ask if I was "ok" lol ).

He was a good dude though so it was all good. For the time though, I wanted to walk away with a little something for my time so I picked up a few of his "doubles" from his X-Men collection. Nothing "earth shattering" but I can add a few to some local shows here and there just to help liven up displays, etc.

We are supposed to connect again in a few weeks, he is looking to move his collection all at once but I don't think that will happen, at least with me, as I think his prices are a bit off and he is still a bit too attached but we will see. I might try to work off "smaller chunks" but honestly, if I don't get any of it, I am ok with that too as it likely won't be much meat on the bone anyway based on my sense of things, but like I said, shall still see how it plays out.

167091.jpg.59b4df54ff29a98bbf1a044436023ce7.jpg

This thread (and Ed's one man business) is like the bizarro-Uchicha thread. :applause:

I stopped reading that one awhile back. It came across as too much punching down for my taste. The guy is clearly struggling on a fundamental level yet people line up to deride him.

Update: Submitted vendor application for Graphic Con in Sudbury, ON.

This is the closest "pure" comic convention to me. I submitted pretty much as soon as registration opened and indicated I would like a premium booth (two 8 foot skirted tables, access to electricity - that I don't think I need that but maybe - Also includes up to three chairs and three vendor passes). The show advises that those spaces are limited. Really, I could easily fill three 8 foot tables as that is what I have at my local shows.

Now I just have to sit back and :wishluck: they accept me for show on June 10th, 2017. I will find out in March 2017 if I have been selected.

I am really hoping that I am selected as it will be a good "test" to see if I also want to venture out and try a larger show but this one seems to be a good mix of a larger size/more attendees, focused market and very minimal travel expenses for me. Plus, I am getting a bit of the "show" bug...Each show I feel a little more comfortable and looking forward to the next one.

IF Graphic Con accepts me, my show schedule for 2017 is shaping up like this:

* Northeastern Ontario Antique Collectibles and Nostalgia Spring Show - April 9th, 2017 (confirmed)

* Graphic Con - June 19th, 2017 (application pending)

* Northeastern Ontario Antique Collectibles and Nostalgia Fall Show - October 22nd, 2017. This show is tentative. The last Fall show was the two day show (commented about earlier) and if it goes ahead will only be a one day show.* (pending/tentative)

* Gateway FanEx - November 12th, 2017 (exact date pending, but confirmed)

So, potentially 4 shows in 2017 as of this writing. In the new year, I also plan to focus on hopefully securing a new collection or two, ramp up eBay sales. I have also been thinking of setting up an Ebay Store. I would appreciate any insights and thoughts/tips from anyone who may have one. Finally, I would like to try a few more board sales here.

Update for show schedule for 2017:

* Northern Game Expo - October 15th, 2017. Primarily a video game show but they do have some comic vendors. Organizer approached me at the Gateway FanEx from this past November to see if I would be interested in doing their show, so I got in touch with him to see if they were still interested. Costs are reasonable and only an hour and a bit away from my house. I am supposed to be getting a vendor package within the next few weeks. They seem to have a pretty good set up so I would really like to give this show a shot.

If I end up doing this show, I would have two "back to back" weekends of setting up at different shows.

I finally used some "downtime" to launch something I have been thinking of for awhile...Opening an eBay Store.

I signed on for the Basic Store to see how it goes. Biggest issue for me was finding the time to list books I have but I consider it good motivation to get on with things and now that I have it started, adding books should be easier now that it is up and running. I still plan on doing monthly auctions.

Here is the "shamless plug" link for those who want to check it out:

http://stores.ebay.com/More-Fun-Comics-Emporium

I welcome any comment or feedback, constructive criticism and whatnot, just be gentle. ;)

Thanks for reading.

I know it has been awhile since I have posted (if anyone is actually reading lol) but I am still in "waiting mode" to hear about some shows and the eBay store has been doing fine.

Sidebar: I have not been as active on it as I would like since I launched the store... Between work, gym (yes decided to get back in shape, typical NY resolution I know) and other "life stuff" I have not had as much free time to dedicate as I would like but I think I have a good established routine now so that should help...

ANYWAY, as mentioned earlier, I have been having a bit of a comic buying funk. Nothing of significance has presented itself to me in some time. Well, that changed tonight as I bought a fair size chunk of a customer's collection. He contacted me saying he needed to downsize and asked if I would be interested. Just proves that connections matter and make a difference!

Here is what I picked up - Nothing to "retire" on but still a buy I am happy about.

Comic%20Lot%202_zpsbw8blilf.jpg

View from slightly different angle...

Comic%20Lot%201_zpsavm9nzgr.jpg

The long box on the right is LOADED with Defenders comics. It is nearly a complete run of the original series with just a few issues missing + some of the newer series.

Back row box is a box of New Mutants, sadly, no Cable or Deadpool and his Warlock collection...Missing Marvel Premiere but had all of Warlock #9 - #15 (Thanos saga) and the Strange Tales. Sadly, the first Gamora the centrefold is there but detached.

The box on the left contained the Strange Tales/Doctor Strange (1st and 2nd series) related books and Namor, The Sub-Mariner and a few odds and sods.

The FF book (first "HIM") is about a 4.5 and the Thor (first full Adam Warlock) is pretty nice except missing a small piece lower right. The Cat and Submariner #1 are pretty nice and the rest are all solid books. I still have a lot to go through but all bagged and boarded and organized so will be nice to really have a sort through.

The other neat thing I bought was this Doctor Strange poster from 1983 by Kevin Nowlan.

doc%20strange%20poster_zpse2tkusgo.jpg

It is still shrink wrapped to the board. I was told this was in the display in the store where the owner bought it so I don't know if it is actually "affixed" to the backing board or not. Regardless, a cool piece of art and might help catch some eyes the next show I do.

Other quick notes: Some nice Doc Strange Strange Tales books and nice Subby's like first Stingray. I know the Defenders has the first Starhawk, first Wrecking Crew. The first New Mutants and Legion are Canadian Price Editions, if anyone cares about that.

5 5