• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Comic Box - Rookie Adventures in Buying/Selling/Cons
5 5

809 posts in this topic

Lots of attractive books in that lot - they should attract some collectors.

And, yes, someone is reading! :hi:

Thanks!

Yes, itching to really dive into it this weekend.

Also, the "scuff" or "dirt" on the poster was just on the plastic wrapping and wiped off no problem.

Cool journal

I just came across it today and I'll be sure to follow up

I'm in the GTA- perhaps I'll see you at a show at some point

Cool, thanks!

I have been asked to do one and think I might try one one day (in the GTA) but what is a deterrent for me is anything on a Sunday is a "no-go" as I would have to take time off work and the expense of gas, hotel, meals, etc...I just don't know if I have "enough" to compete with the "big boys".

...My worry is that I would make a big expenditure (to me) and not really come out that far ahead...I am still kind of "risk adverse"...

But I should probably try at least once at some point...

Edited by Wall-Crawler

Very cool journal! I will definitely be reading from this point forward. I didn't know you were doing this so I'm glad I found it. Especially since its based in my home town! Are there any shows in North Bay during the summer months? Maybe I'll try to get up to the cabin early so I can hit the Sudbury show.

I totally understand .. It would be a big expense to come down for a show.

Something like the Toronto comic show would be the ideal show for you.

It is a one day show (unfortunately a Sunday), but the vendor tables are cheap ($80) and everyone who goes has intent to buy (there are no special guests, panels, cosplayers, etc.). It really is a comic collector show

Many hobbyists/sellers attend as vendors. It's not all the big players

Very cool journal! I will definitely be reading from this point forward. I didn't know you were doing this so I'm glad I found it. Especially since its based in my home town! Are there any shows in North Bay during the summer months? Maybe I'll try to get up to the cabin early so I can hit the Sudbury show.

No shows in North Bay in the summer months. Just April and October (Antique and Collectibles Show) and in November at the Gateway FanEx, which just had their first go...Will be interesting to see what improvements are made for that one, but I am confirmed for those three.

Sudbury Graphic Con in early June is the closest...That is the one I applied to as a vendor so I am crossing my fingers that I am accepted. Honestly, will be disappointed if I am not...

"Fun" email exchange today...Guy looking to sell this book...This was the best pic he sent me:

Space_zps2fsbzwcb.jpg

I could tell there were multiple spine ticks and a chip missing from the lower right...As the guy is 45 minutes away, I just asked again for a bit more info and his asking price...Would not send me pics of the back cover nor the interiors, just wanted to "meet". I also asked where he initially got it from as it was the only book he had...

"...I bought the book from a very good older friend of mine that paid 250$ for it years ago. I paid 400$. I would like to get at least 600$ but need at least what I paid. I think looking at it in person would be better for both of us. Would you be willing to do that?"

I politely declined.

I hate that stuff. I stopped scavenging CL or Kijiji because too many people waste my time.

What I also hate are the sellers who refuse to give me a price. All the "please contact" or "make me an offer" stuff is just bizarre to me. These people are out to string you along.

I'm a firm believer: If you're selling something, state an asking price! It's your book! If you want an offer, how's $1?

Edited by Michelangelo

On 2/5/2017 at 5:43 PM, Michelangelo said:

I hate that stuff. I stopped scavenging CL or Kijiji because too many people waste my time.

What I also hate are the sellers who refuse to give me a price. All the "please contact" or "make me an offer" stuff is just bizarre to me. These people are out to string you along.

I'm a firm believer: If you're selling something, state an asking price! It's your book! If you want an offer, how's $1?

I don't bother scouring CL or Kijiji too much but I do have an ad up saying I buy comics.  I just use the free option and when time, renew it.  I don't feel the need to pay for it to keep it at the top.  More often than not, responses to my ad lead nowhere but I have made a few good buys from the ad to make it worthwhile to keep up.

Fun story this morning.  Just as I am dropping off my wife at work, I get a text from my dad with a picture that looks like Batman #1, yes the original Batman #1.

I call him and ask why is he sending me that pic.

My second cousin and her boyfriend were visiting my parents on their way to Ottawa.  They know I collect, buy and sell so they wanted to show me the book.  Turns out the pic they sent me was of a book their friend found in the wall of a home he was helping to renovate.

My first instinct is that it is HAS to be a reprint.  My second thought was "what if it is not?" - Remember the Action Comics #1 that was found in a wall a few years ago?

http://www.cbr.com/action-comics-1-found-in-wall-of-house-sells-for-175000/

So, my second cousin's b/f messages their friend and gets him to send me some more pics of the book.  Long story short, I was late getting to work and after looking at all the pics, it is the Batman Masterpiece Edition.

So, while disappointing, it is still a cool find. I may end up buying it or the owner may just keep it.  I wonder why though, what would possess someone to put a comic in the wall?  I wonder if the person who did it thought "I am going to put this in here so whomever finds it will think they won the lottery" with evil glee in their heart.

On 12/30/2016 at 7:15 PM, Wall-Crawler said:

Update for show schedule for 2017:

* Northern Game Expo - October 15th, 2017. Primarily a video game show but they do have some comic vendors. Organizer approached me at the Gateway FanEx from this past November to see if I would be interested in doing their show, so I got in touch with him to see if they were still interested. Costs are reasonable and only an hour and a bit away from my house. I am supposed to be getting a vendor package within the next few weeks. They seem to have a pretty good set up so I would really like to give this show a shot.

If I end up doing this show, I would have two "back to back" weekends of setting up at different shows.

I am still waiting on Graphic Con ("pure" comic con), I am confirmed for the Northern Game Expo all the way in October 2017.  Website is here (needs updating): http://northerngameexpo.com/about/

I was approached by one of the organizers and asked to attend, so this hastened the approval process.  As it is primarily a video game show, I still have expectations that I should do ok and I will be filling the comic book niche.  Regardless, this show is an hour and a bit from my house and my spouse and I can make a day of it anyway as Sudbury has a few stores and shops that mine does not, so minimal investment to attend, so why not?

On 2/18/2017 at 0:49 AM, comicguy77002 said:

stumbled across this journal and it's a good read. keep it going. love hearing about your tales 'from the front line'

Thanks very much.  The journal has also allowed me to get some great advice from other more seasoned sellers, which has been incredibly helpful.

One idea that I have been "toying" with is the idea of getting a small/home business licence.  If things proceed according to plan, I will do 4 local shows this year + the online selling. I'm wondering if it is "time" to make that leap but I am not sure if is "worth it".

Any sellers have any experience with it or thoughts in general? Particularly from Ontario?

Thanks!

5 5