• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Comic Box - Rookie Adventures in Buying/Selling/Cons
5 5

809 posts in this topic

awesome!

my turn to threadjack....

Count I Con is around the corner ( really my main con) ---- my third year there....

Last year I had an open design -  with the pole in the middle, lol - I get the same spot this year. Chuck Fiala is at my booth again - so I need a spot for him as well.

image.png.f169ae1bf7100d84336cc99b1226840a.png

Right side was the bargain bins ( dollar and two dollar)_ left side sets -- middle back issues. Wall books in back with table in front to block access.  Worked well.

This year - going for an open design.  Should have more surface area. I have reloads for the cheapies so they will be on special quick.  Instead of a drape wall in the back with banners- I am only setting the frame up in the center of the booth with banners.

vimage.png.1c896de83bf1b1af99308c1a97275eca.png

Opening so we can get in - will be blocked off.  Back wall - will be all dollar and $2 books -side is the sets and tpb. Front will be Chuck and back issues.  Wall books behind that. Table in back for storage.

Currently - 60 boxes ( shortboxes) of old " bargan" stock.  42 fresh stock.  Reloads if I need it ( though no bag and board).

About a box of treasuries.

Back issues/wall - three new boxes pulled and priced. Probably 20+ hidden away that I have to locate....

Will bring one box of slabs - mixture of items.  A couple of high end that go in the locked display.

Still pulling more - will stop after tomorrow and worry about packing for load in.....

48 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Great job with the 10x expenses - some day I'll hit that number.  And you sold a slab! 

Thanks!  

Also...I am an insufficiently_thoughtful_person...I did not do 10 x my expenses...I did just a smidge over 7 X my expenses...Chalk it up to being dead tired.

I have sold a few slabs now at local shows. Not many, but a few.  The past three shows I have sold at least one. Every local show I have done, I am the only person with CGC books. I will continue to bring them if for nothing less they at least bring some curious eyes to the booth.  

There were a few startled looks when people asked for the price of the Preacher #1 CGC 9.8 I brought with me - Apparently not everyone knows yet that some comics can fetch "big bucks".

Next Show: Northeastern Antique, Collectible & Nostalgia Show,  Sunday, October 22nd 2017.  First "back to back" shows.

This is the show that I started doing and the one that is like 5 minutes from my house.  Basically, I am bringing the exact same stuff I did to the show I just finished with a few different boxes and items for the "antique" crowd.

After this one, I will likely stop giving updates on this show unless anything "interesting" happens as it is becoming rather repetitive at this point I would imagine.

15 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Thanks!  

Also...I am an insufficiently_thoughtful_person...I did not do 10 x my expenses...I did just a smidge over 7 X my expenses...Chalk it up to being dead tired.

I have sold a few slabs now at local shows. Not many, but a few.  The past three shows I have sold at least one. Every local show I have done, I am the only person with CGC books. I will continue to bring them if for nothing less they at least bring some curious eyes to the booth.  

There were a few startled looks when people asked for the price of the Preacher #1 CGC 9.8 I brought with me - Apparently not everyone knows yet that some comics can fetch "big bucks".

That's my usual multiplier (7X) which keeps me going back but is not enough to blow my socks off.  I do like clearing out a ton of cheap books for more then I can donate them.  I've got a Preacher 1 CGC 9.8 and CGC 9.6 which soon may not be high priced books :cry:

16 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

That's my usual multiplier (7X) which keeps me going back but is not enough to blow my socks off.  I do like clearing out a ton of cheap books for more then I can donate them.  I've got a Preacher 1 CGC 9.8 and CGC 9.6 which soon may not be high priced books :cry:

I guess everyone has different expectations.  I am quite happy with my "multiplier"... I do "small town" shows so my expectations are pretty modest but my expenses (and risks) are low.  I was pleased with this one as it was my first time attending and very focused on video games but they did advertise comics as well.

If I were doing bigger shows and expenses were higher, you would bet I would want to do better...There was one (new) show that is about 2.5  hours from where I am and after attending their first show last spring as a con goer to check it out, I thought about signing up for their 2018 show but based on their "success" of their initial show (they report about 7,000 people attended), they have changed a few things that make me very apprehensive.

The price of tables for comic vendors are more than other vendors (which seems so stupid to me), they made it a two days instead of one and they changed the date from May to June.  There is also increased competition.

So now, increased cost of tables + hotel and food + gas for two nights, the changing of dates from spring (when not much to do) to really the kick off of summer... I don't know...Maybe it would be "worth it" but I am pretty risk adverse...

4 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Thanks!  

That's a nice book to have, I have a beauty in my 'to do' grade pile that I'm confident will be 9.6-9.8.  I believe the price on preachers have actually come down quite a bit off their highs last year?

41 minutes ago, spreads said:

That's a nice book to have, I have a beauty in my 'to do' grade pile that I'm confident will be 9.6-9.8.  I believe the price on preachers have actually come down quite a bit off their highs last year?

Yes.  Still a nice book to have but no longer commanding that premium.

5 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

I guess everyone has different expectations.  I am quite happy with my "multiplier"... I do "small town" shows so my expectations are pretty modest but my expenses (and risks) are low.  I was pleased with this one as it was my first time attending and very focused on video games but they did advertise comics as well.

If I were doing bigger shows and expenses were higher, you would bet I would want to do better...There was one (new) show that is about 2.5  hours from where I am and after attending their first show last spring as a con goer to check it out, I thought about signing up for their 2018 show but based on their "success" of their initial show (they report about 7,000 people attended), they have changed a few things that make me very apprehensive.

The price of tables for comic vendors are more than other vendors (which seems so stupid to me), they made it a two days instead of one and they changed the date from May to June.  There is also increased competition.

So now, increased cost of tables + hotel and food + gas for two nights, the changing of dates from spring (when not much to do) to really the kick off of summer... I don't know...Maybe it would be "worth it" but I am pretty risk adverse...

Wait, they charge comic sellers more than other vendors?  I've never heard of that before.  Any idea why?  Can you tell us the name of the show please?

16 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:
5 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Wait, they charge comic sellers more than other vendors?  I've never heard of that before.  Any idea why?  Can you tell us the name of the show please?

seriously, that makes no sense.

The only thing I could think of is if there is a dedicated 'comic dealer' area that is a prime location and more heavily advertised than others, or the spaces are bigger or something.

4 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

https://www.cottagecountrycomiccon.com/Cottage_Country_Comic-Con/Welcome.html

Comic & Pop Culture Exhibitor: Exhibit & Sale at the show with your products on a 8 foot table. Additional tables are available as well. Please click on the logo below to register. (Selling Comic Books, Toys, Collectables, Crafts, Video Games, Apparel & Pop Culture items)

1 Table - 8 Foot Table Pricing for 2 Days is only $275.00  

Artist Alley - Comic Artist / Comic Writer at the show with a 6 Foot Table. 

1 Table - 6 Foot Table with a Chair. Pricing for 2 Days is only $175.00

Records Vendor: Exhibit & Sale at the show with your products on a 8 foot table. Additional tables are available as well. Please click on the logo below to register. (Selling Records Vinyls)

1 Table - 8 Foot Table Pricing for 2 Days is only $200.00  

Antique Market Vendor: Exhibit & Sale at the show with your products on a 6 foot tables. Additional tables are available as well. (Selling Antiques) 1 Table - 6 Foot Table Pricing for 2 Days is only $190.00

Game Zone Vendor: Exhibit & Sale at the show with your products on a 6 foot tables. Additional tables are available as well. Please click on the logo below to register. (Selling Video Games Only) 1 Table - 6 Foot Table Pricing for 2 Days is only $195.00

Again, they seemed to put on a very solid first show that was really well attended but this is a bit disappointing (the changes) to someone who is a "small fish" who was considering attending.

Interesting, I'd email them and ask why certain dealers pay more than others for what appears to be the same amount of space.

Ultimately I'd book the show.  $275 for a two day show is $137.50 per day so quite reasonable.  They had a successful 1 day show and it's a reasonable expectation that a 2 day show can be successful.  In the end I try to support every show within reach until they prove me wrong and if this show grows and succeeds it will be worth it. 

53 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Interesting, I'd email them and ask why certain dealers pay more than others for what appears to be the same amount of space.

Ultimately I'd book the show.  $275 for a two day show is $137.50 per day so quite reasonable.  They had a successful 1 day show and it's a reasonable expectation that a 2 day show can be successful.  In the end I try to support every show within reach until they prove me wrong and if this show grows and succeeds it will be worth it. 

I have thought about emailing but I don't want to bother unless I were to be serious and do the show.

I get that but I would probably need two tables and that would be $550 and with cost of gas, hotel (2 nights), food, etc. probably be close to a grand.  What would a "reasonable" rate of return for that kind of investment be?

I know $1000 is small potatoes for the big guns/vets, but for me, that would be the most I have invested in a show so I guess it is one of those things, never know unless you try...My other challenge would be convincing someone to help me for 2.5 - 3 days (part of Friday to drive and set up, Saturday, Sunday and then tear down and drive home) lol

I enjoy reading this thread, but I have to ask a question - why do you (and others) care about multiples of expenses? Surely the relevant question is "did my profit on the day repay me for the time invested"? I could imagine doing 10x, but if it works out at $20/hour, I might well decide to do something else.

5 hours ago, AJD said:

I enjoy reading this thread, but I have to ask a question - why do you (and others) care about multiples of expenses? Surely the relevant question is "did my profit on the day repay me for the time invested"? I could imagine doing 10x, but if it works out at $20/hour, I might well decide to do something else.

10X is just a ball park number to estimate if the show was worthwhile.  If you only do 5X your costs you may very well be ahead if you sold a lot of books that had great margin.  If you sell 10X your costs of keys with only a 10% margin you may very well have lost money.  Typically we sell a bit or a lot of anything and if I did 10X my costs I did ok.  You'd be surprised at how many vendors consider it a successful show if they sell enough to pay for their booth.

$20 hour?  Considering the time required to buy collections, bagging and boarding, pricing, etc I'm sure I don't make $20 per hour.  But I do enjoy setting up at shows,  and I see a ton of comics and a few go into my collection each show. 

6 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

10X is just a ball park number to estimate if the show was worthwhile.  If you only do 5X your costs you may very well be ahead if you sold a lot of books that had great margin.  If you sell 10X your costs of keys with only a 10% margin you may very well have lost money.  Typically we sell a bit or a lot of anything and if I did 10X my costs I did ok.  You'd be surprised at how many vendors consider it a successful show if they sell enough to pay for their booth.

$20 hour?  Considering the time required to buy collections, bagging and boarding, pricing, etc I'm sure I don't make $20 per hour.  But I do enjoy setting up at shows,  and I see a ton of comics and a few go into my collection each show. 

100% agree.

$20 an hour seems like a pipe dream when you factor in bagging/boarding, but this is a hobby and I enjoy doing it.  If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't be there.

And there are definitely dealers that setup (at my monthly show) that have not sold anything at all!  These guys I'm sure are retired and probably have loads of time on their hands - the same crowd you see at estate sales.  I've seen other dealers that complain about barely selling their costs but then you look at what they have and it's no surprise...

15 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

https://www.cottagecountrycomiccon.com/Cottage_Country_Comic-Con/Welcome.html

Comic & Pop Culture Exhibitor: Exhibit & Sale at the show with your products on a 8 foot table. Additional tables are available as well. Please click on the logo below to register. (Selling Comic Books, Toys, Collectables, Crafts, Video Games, Apparel & Pop Culture items)

1 Table - 8 Foot Table Pricing for 2 Days is only $275.00  

Artist Alley - Comic Artist / Comic Writer at the show with a 6 Foot Table. 

1 Table - 6 Foot Table with a Chair. Pricing for 2 Days is only $175.00

Records Vendor: Exhibit & Sale at the show with your products on a 8 foot table. Additional tables are available as well. Please click on the logo below to register. (Selling Records Vinyls)

1 Table - 8 Foot Table Pricing for 2 Days is only $200.00  

Antique Market Vendor: Exhibit & Sale at the show with your products on a 6 foot tables. Additional tables are available as well. (Selling Antiques) 1 Table - 6 Foot Table Pricing for 2 Days is only $190.00

Game Zone Vendor: Exhibit & Sale at the show with your products on a 6 foot tables. Additional tables are available as well. Please click on the logo below to register. (Selling Video Games Only) 1 Table - 6 Foot Table Pricing for 2 Days is only $195.00

Again, they seemed to put on a very solid first show that was really well attended but this is a bit disappointing (the changes) to someone who is a "small fish" who was considering attending.

Are there any antique dealers that setup on a table?  Maybe they are just using the space, but I can't see how many items they can fit in that small surface area?

27 minutes ago, spreads said:

Are there any antique dealers that setup on a table?  Maybe they are just using the space, but I can't see how many items they can fit in that small surface area?

The local antique show I do there are people who only use one table...You can fit A LOT of coins, military medals and toys etc on one table...If selling antique pine furniture, not so much!

14 hours ago, AJD said:

For me it comes down to comparing selling books at a Con compared to selling books on E-Bay.  With E-Bay fees and Paypal I pay about 12% (lets assume shipping is a wash) which is a little better the 8x1 multiplier vs expenses.  I find listing books on e-bay to be easy since I can do that while watching tv or on my lunch hour.  Con require a huge outpouring of time all at once since I've got to get multiple long boxes of books prepped whereas e-bay I can do 100 books at a time.  So if I get 5x expenses then I'd rather just go for a couple hours and do some shopping at a particular Con rather then giving 20% of the profits to the house.  Now cash is key but considering how frugal most Con buyers are lately cash isn't that great since they want much less then e-bay prices. 

Edited by 1Cool

5 5