• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Comic Box - Rookie Adventures in Buying/Selling/Cons
5 5

809 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

First show we used ours it seemed to be turning all the time and kicking out sales.  Second time we used it nothing seemed to sell.  I think we had small sets in it the first time and single comics the second so perhaps the type of product was the difference.  We haven't used them since as they take up quite a bit of room in the car.  They are ideal for a small area that won't fit a table.

I am not sure why they didn't produce since the first show. We definitely had small sets in them that Edmonton Expo (2013). I think it is a combination of things, economy has turned downwards since the 2013 show. You can see what we had in them in these pics I took.

While I don't think we can claim that we were the first to offer sets, that was the first show we did them and they were a hot commodity and it was because we had just bought that 37 long collection that had lots of books that were not easily found.

Clob Booth B.JPG

Clob Spinners.JPG

Edited by Artboy99

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Gods, we're the worst.  We have a Deadpool trick or treat head with the top cut off and we just jam money in as it comes.  We leave it sitting in our booth, sometimes in plain sight.  We've had a few customers actually point out how easy it would be to steal and on a good day at a show we'd be very sorry to see it run off.

I don't know if it has been noticed but I tend to sit by it.

Edited by Artboy99

8 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

We're getting more secure with our Deadpool head, now we stash it on a box under the table.  But it's hardly secure lol

Square is wonderful, first show we used one we had a couple hundred credit card transactions.  Sure I'd rather take cash and keep the square fee  but accepting credit cards will entice buyers who don't have enough cash - it's becoming a cashless society, especially for young people.  Put up a sign on your wall saying you accept credit cards.

Oh yeah, the other thing I forgot...I did have a nice sign printed up saying accepting cash, Paypal and Square...But I forgot to put it up doh!

7 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I am not sure why they didn't produce since the first show. We definitely had small sets in them that Edmonton Expo (2013). I think it is a combination of things, economy has turned downwards since the 2013 show. You can see what we had in them in these pics I took.

While I don't think we can claim that we were the first to offer sets, that was the first show we did them and they were a hot commodity and it was because we had just bought that 37 long collection that had lots of books that were not easily found.

Clob Booth B.JPG

Clob Spinners.JPG

Set up looks great!!!!

I am definitely going to give my spinner rack a "field test" once I figure out making a new base (mine was missing when I bought it).  My rack also has pockets specifically for Archie digests...I have been trying to source some of those cheap but I have not yet found any in my area.

45 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Set up looks great!!!!

I am definitely going to give my spinner rack a "field test" once I figure out making a new base (mine was missing when I bought it).  My rack also has pockets specifically for Archie digests...I have been trying to source some of those cheap but I have not yet found any in my area.

One of those racks had those pockets on it, Dave took some time and used my dremmel to cut off all the digest holders. I think it was a good choice, his spinner looks fantastic now.

41 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

One of those racks had those pockets on it, Dave took some time and used my dremmel to cut off all the digest holders. I think it was a good choice, his spinner looks fantastic now.

Ack! I can see the reasoning behind it but no way I will do that! LOL!

I thought I could also put some Blue Ribbon and other digests in them but I am very, very low on those now too.

Seems like one of my business cards from a local show may have helped something come across my path...

I received the following email:

I have inherited 5 very large boxes of comic books ranging from the 1940’s to the 1990’s from my late brother in law.  Not really sure what the value is on them and I am wondering if you had any time whether you would pop out here or I can meet with you to look over these boxes?

I still don't know if they are looking to sell or just 'free advice'...My luck it will likely be like one old book and the rest be 90's drek, but you never know so I am going to look should they actually want me to come over and check them out.

:wishluck:

18 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Seems like one of my business cards from a local show may have helped something come across my path...

I have inherited 5 very large boxes of comic books ranging from the 1940’s to the 1990’s from my late brother in law.  Not really sure what the value is on them and I am wondering if you had any time whether you would pop out here or I can meet with you to look over these boxes?

I still don't know if they are looking to sell or just 'free advice'...My luck it will likely be like one old book and the rest be 90's drek, but you never know so I am going to look should they actually want me to come over and check them out.

As a customer, I don't like booths you walk into, for a few reasons:

(1) If there's a crowd, it's hard to navigate.  I tend to just move to the next booth.

(2) Sometimes it's hard to tell if the inside is a public space, or the dealer's private space.  It may deal on the dealer's demeanor.  So if you do an inside space, you have to make sure you're got a good "come on in" attitude.

So I guess if there's no premium cost, then get the inside booth, but overall I tend to like the layout of the dealer behind his/her tables and me on the other side going through long boxes.  Just my 2 cents.

8 hours ago, W16227 said:

Have cash ready to go when you meet!!!!  ( obviously be safe) - these contacts can be great scores ...

I have not yet had a reply to my email (sent Tuesday evening).  I am going to call tomorrow (Friday) and hopefully I can speak to them and/or leave a message.  I don't  want to come across as too eager.  Hopefully will be able to see what they have this weekend, so keep those :wishluck: crossed! :)

29 minutes ago, n2wdw said:

As a customer, I don't like booths you walk into, for a few reasons:

(1) If there's a crowd, it's hard to navigate.  I tend to just move to the next booth.

(2) Sometimes it's hard to tell if the inside is a public space, or the dealer's private space.  It may deal on the dealer's demeanor.  So if you do an inside space, you have to make sure you're got a good "come on in" attitude.

So I guess if there's no premium cost, then get the inside booth, but overall I tend to like the layout of the dealer behind his/her tables and me on the other side going through long boxes.  Just my 2 cents.

Always appreciate any feedback and opinions!

With regards to your second point, I like to think I am a pretty approachable person and my wife always helps me at the shows and like to think we give out a "friendly" vibe...We have had a range of people come to our booth from little ones to adults...Last local show, we had a regular customer's wife come back with their newborn so mom and baby could be comfortable behind the table while my regular did some digging. 

I think in terms of "walk in" I don't have quite the space allotment that others do but putting more product out as a few have suggested seems more realistic for me.

On 6/29/2017 at 9:35 PM, Wall-Crawler said:

I have not yet had a reply to my email (sent Tuesday evening).  I am going to call tomorrow (Friday) and hopefully I can speak to them and/or leave a message.  I don't  want to come across as too eager.  Hopefully will be able to see what they have this weekend, so keep those :wishluck: crossed! :)

I opted to send a follow up email as it is Canada Day long weekend.  Person responded saying they will call me next week, so still :wishluck: but at least they are replying...

So, my first sales thread on the boards in awhile went off the rails. 

Kind of frustrating. Always hear about how this place being "so much better" than everywhere else to sell. Don't get me wrong, I have sold books here but this one is baffling to me.

For whatever reason, moderator pulled it. Whether it was "on their own" or someone "humped the button" guess I will never know. I listed a few slabs in the Gold/Silver/Bronze section.  Here was my thread title and exact rules:

Rainy Canada Day Mini Slab Sale with Keys!

Well, it is Canada Day but for me, the weather is sucking the life out of it where I am, so why not have a mini slab sale?

:rulez:

No Probies or Hall of Shamers

First unconditional :takeit: in thread or PM gets the book. In event of "tie" winner determined by time stamp.

Payment is in USD Funds. Must be paid within 5 Days unless otherwise negotiated. PayPal Only.

Shipping to the USA will be $20 and $15 within Canada.  Book(s) will be shipped via Canada Post, tracked and insured.

Returns are not accepted on CGC books.

The "newest" book I had listed was from 1982. Everything else was late 70's. I provided scans and a clear price.

So why was my thread pulled? See attached pics and my response.

My other question is why was this even flagged in the first place? If someone didn't like my post, why not just send a PM and say like "Hey I think..." or "You might want to fix X" or why does a Mod not contact you first then see if it needs to be removed instead of this convoluted process? Meanwhile, tons of other sellers simply state "PayPal" as payment and there is even another boardie selling modern reprints in that forum.  Just seems like such an ODD thread to pull when I am pretty sure I conformed to all the rules...

Anyway, annoying. Just venting here as I am not getting a response anywhere else, 20 + hours later.

CGC Mod.jpg

CGC Mod 3.jpg

Edited by Wall-Crawler

1 hour ago, Wall-Crawler said:

So, my first sales thread on the boards in awhile went off the rails. 

Kind of frustrating. Always hear about how this place being "so much better" than everywhere else to sell. Don't get me wrong, I have sold books here but this one is baffling to me.

For whatever reason, moderator pulled it. Whether it was "on their own" or someone "humped the button" guess I will never know. I listed a few slabs in the Gold/Silver/Bronze section.  Here was my thread title and exact rules:

Rainy Canada Day Mini Slab Sale with Keys!

Well, it is Canada Day but for me, the weather is sucking the life out of it where I am, so why not have a mini slab sale?

:rulez:

No Probies or Hall of Shamers

First unconditional :takeit: in thread or PM gets the book. In event of "tie" winner determined by time stamp.

Payment is in USD Funds. Must be paid within 5 Days unless otherwise negotiated. PayPal Only.

Shipping to the USA will be $20 and $15 within Canada.  Book(s) will be shipped via Canada Post, tracked and insured.

Returns are not accepted on CGC books.

The "newest" book I had listed was from 1982. Everything else was late 70's. I provided scans and a clear price.

So why was my thread pulled? See attached pics and my response.

My other question is why was this even flagged in the first place? If someone didn't like my post, why not just send a PM and say like "Hey I think..." or "You might want to fix X" or why does a Mod not contact you first then see if it needs to be removed instead of this convoluted process? Meanwhile, tons of other sellers simply state "PayPal" as payment and there is even another boardie selling modern reprints in that forum.  Just seems like such an ODD thread to pull when I am pretty sure I conformed to all the rules...

Anyway, annoying. Just venting here as I am not getting a response anywhere else, 20 + hours later.

CGC Mod.jpg

CGC Mod 3.jpg

I'm a big fan of B_H and do it fairly often (although much less so lately despite a seeming increase time-period issues).  I remember your thread, and did not report it.  It all seemed reasonable to me, though I would not consider anything past 1983 as bronze (not the issue with your thread).  Also I always thought those threads were just moved to the right period when the era isn't right.

I think its probably a misunderstanding mixed with unluckiness.  I would think next time it won't happen again unless someone really has a vendetta against you.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:56 AM, Wall-Crawler said:

Expenses/Profit Margin:  After all expenses were factored in, I did approximately 7 X what it cost me to attend this show

You've got to be thrilled with that result!   Congrats!  :headbang:

20 hours ago, revat said:

I'm a big fan of B_H and do it fairly often (although much less so lately despite a seeming increase time-period issues).  I remember your thread, and did not report it.  It all seemed reasonable to me, though I would not consider anything past 1983 as bronze (not the issue with your thread).  Also I always thought those threads were just moved to the right period when the era isn't right.

I think its probably a misunderstanding mixed with unluckiness.  I would think next time it won't happen again unless someone really has a vendetta against you.

Books were from late 1970's to 1982.

I hope it is just a misunderstanding but there is something odd about why it was pulled in the first place with zero mod response.

I might try again or just send them off to eBay. I hope no one has a "vendetta" :| - I don't think I have done wrong by anyone here. 

Edited by Wall-Crawler

So, with regards to my sales post...

When the thread was first pulled I contacted the mod and said I was not sure why it was pulled and the only thing I subsequently thought of and asked about was if it could have been b/c I had some of the books listed on my FB Page in a "For Sale" photo album (there were no prices attached). Just scans of the books.  Sidebar: They had been there awhile and simply forgot as even though they were in that album, I was not 'actively' trying to sell them there.  I advised the mod that if that was the problem, that I had already moved the photos to a "non for sale" photo album.  

It was then that the mod advised of the above reasons why my thread was actually pulled (PayPal, wrong forum).

So today, I guess after reviewing my response to the above reason why it was pulled, mod writes back to say "upon further inspection it appears it was the FB issue and if that has been rectified (which I said it was days ago) that I could relist".   

What? How does a mod not know the reason why a thread is pulled in the first place? Why did it take them since Sunday to "figure it out"?

I "get" the multiple listing rule. I agree with it, however, my books were on my FB Page  in a "For Sale" album with no prices and they were not being 'actively' advertised/marketed as 'for sale' in any groups. But obviously I guess that still counts as being "available elsewhere". 

I guess what annoys me is that this might mean is that someone took the time to go to my FB page, check out my albums (or just flat out didn't agree with something about my post) and then instead of sending me a PM to let me know so I could fix it, notified the mod . Whatever the actual reason, just seems a little petty to button hump. I'm not a high volume seller on the boards but all of my transactions have been good and I am by no means a "repeat sales board rules breaker".  If I would have received a PM saying "Hey man, you have books in another spot/might be in wrong forum/might be problem with PayPal wording -  You might want to address that" I would have done so and thanked them for pointing it out to me. 

Regardless, whatever the 'real' reason was, lesson definitely learned. I will be a lot more diligent should I decide to post another sales thread here.

end of rantrant

On 6/27/2017 at 9:56 PM, Wall-Crawler said:

So, we have been playing "email tag" with the potential seller.

I have been trying to not be seen as "pushy"...I have left my mobile number and said for them to text me/email me, send me a few pics, a list whatever and they will reply to emails but usually not until a few days later...Case in point, I was told they may have some free time this Friday.  I replied saying I was available, left my phone number (again)  and still zip.

Maybe they are busy, a time waster/not that eager to sell...Who knows...

At this point, I have "a bad feeling about this" so should I just pick up the phone and call them to see what is what? Like I said, I don't want to be seen as pushy or "too eager"...

5 5