• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Comic Box - Rookie Adventures in Buying/Selling/Cons
5 5

809 posts in this topic

Looks like might be a bit closer to actually seeing what this collection is all about...Sent me a spreadsheet of the first 20 books...Definitely nothing that is making me super eager to get in there...I can't remember the last time someone reached out to me and then dragged their feet to have me actually look at their books...

On 7/12/2017 at 0:06 PM, Wall-Crawler said:

Looks like might be a bit closer to actually seeing what this collection is all about...Sent me a spreadsheet of the first 20 books...Definitely nothing that is making me super eager to get in there...I can't remember the last time someone reached out to me and then dragged their feet to have me actually look at their books...

Appointment set! This Sunday at 10 AM.

While the first list of 20 books they sent did not set my heart racing, this is the first collection "in the wild" I have looked at in awhile. Apparently it is "6 printer size boxes stuffed with comics".

I'm really hoping there is some decent stuff (curious to see what the books from the 40's are...) Worst case scenario, I have a little fun checking out a collection and they only live like 20 minutes from my house so not like it is a huge investment of my time.  

Well, went and met with the person who contacted me this morning.

They were very pleasant but of the 5 banker boxes that were stuffed with comics, they were, for the vast majority, used book store fodder :cry: Thankfully it was only a 15 minute drive from my house.

There were few silver (lot of really beat up classic illustrated), lots of beat up bronze age Gold Key random books and there were some copper/modern books but the condition simply was not there.   Not worth the time.  The seller understood and let me pick out a few items that I wanted.

...I don't like to walk away with "nothing" so here is what I decided to take home, some purely because I thought they were "neat".

history of comic strip art.jpg

penguin comics.jpg

comic book heroes.jpg

french.jpg

foreign bats.jpg

Treasury 2.jpg

Treasury 3.jpg

Treasury.jpg

neal adams.jpg

shazam hardcover.jpg

12 centers.jpg

Edited by Wall-Crawler

In my experience you have to look at every collection possible whether it sounds like a great one or not.  Some of our best buys percentage wise have been small $100 type buys that led to $200 to $300 in quick sales.  Every era has gems and all it takes is one gem to make it worth your time.  Sorry it wasn't better but keep kicking tires.  

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

In my experience you have to look at every collection possible whether it sounds like a great one or not.  Some of our best buys percentage wise have been small $100 type buys that led to $200 to $300 in quick sales.  Every era has gems and all it takes is one gem to make it worth your time.  Sorry it wasn't better but keep kicking tires.  

Yep! All it takes is one! While disappointing, at least I got a little something and the investment in time was very, very minimal. I'm also glad I just went and checked it out. Now I know what they had and can just move one.  Where I am, calls to check out collections are few and far between, so I definitely check them out whenever I can.  

1 hour ago, AJD said:

I really like the stuff you bought. But, yeah, a disappointing outcome compared to what might have been.

Thanks!

The books I just thought were fun.

The french editions I nabbed because the last few local shows I have done, I have someone ask if i had any french comics. Now, if I am asked, I do!

The Batman book is from early 70's and is an Italian edition. Funny how that ended up in my neck of the woods. Sellers had no idea how the original owner had it either. I thought it was neat.

I try to buy Treasury editions and the over sized 1st Editions and Limited Collectors editions when I can if the price is right...I find they make great visuals for booths at shows and I like the format. I am also running very low.

The Shazam is a hard cover and again, I just thought it was kinda cool. I just wish the dust jacket was in better shape.

As for the comics, a few Neal Adam covers and some silver age books and a couple of Whitman's made it not a completely "wasted" trip.  They had a bit more different or "neat" stuff but condition was so poor I passed.

The next show I am doing is the Northern Game Expo in Sudbury, ON.

http://northerngameexpo.com/

While the show is not until October 15th, 2017, I have been starting to think about what to bring.  While the focus is gaming, last year they had around 1,400 people turn out. This would make it the second largest show I have done.  I'm wondering if anyone has set up at a gaming centric event? Or even thoughts in general about what to bring... The good thing is that I am the only "pure" comic guy, the few others are anime and may sell a mix of stuff.

I already know my space and due to layout it will have to be pretty standard, I will have two 8 foot tables and we are allotted 4 feet of space behind the tables, so essentially I have a 16 x 4 sized booth.  I am going to ask that maybe I could get a corner so that I can add my own 4 foot table.

Anyway, any thoughts on setting up at more of a gaming show or other advice always appreciated!

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 0:06 PM, Wall-Crawler said:

I had a paid ad up for a short period of time and was contacted by someone that took months to actually provide any kind of list of what he had.....and never got to any pricing or idea of what he wanted.  Buying collections you have to deal with the duds, it's a sunk cost that's part of the game.

I have a story of a bust, I had someone contact me about 35 minutes away.  I usually never drive that far with someone whom provides very little detail on their comics (never a good sign), sure enough the stuff he had was nothing I had any interest in.  I still treated him cordially and after politely declining he directed me to an estate store where I scored a pile of good comics! (check the gargage sale thread, five copies of SSM 64 for $1.5 each, etc.).

On 7/18/2017 at 6:31 AM, Wall-Crawler said:

The next show I am doing is the Northern Game Expo in Sudbury, ON.

http://northerngameexpo.com/

While the show is not until October 15th, 2017, I have been starting to think about what to bring.  While the focus is gaming, last year they had around 1,400 people turn out. This would make it the second largest show I have done.  I'm wondering if anyone has set up at a gaming centric event? Or even thoughts in general about what to bring... The good thing is that I am the only "pure" comic guy, the few others are anime and may sell a mix of stuff.

I already know my space and due to layout it will have to be pretty standard, I will have two 8 foot tables and we are allotted 4 feet of space behind the tables, so essentially I have a 16 x 4 sized booth.  I am going to ask that maybe I could get a corner so that I can add my own 4 foot table.

Anyway, any thoughts on setting up at more of a gaming show or other advice always appreciated!

Haven't set up at a game expo.  

Assuming it's a generally young crowd I'd take $1 books, sets, trades, moderns and modern variants of popular characters, and of course some wall books for the shock and awe value.  This would be an excellent show to use at least one table for books flat on the table.

22 hours ago, spreads said:

I had a paid ad up for a short period of time and was contacted by someone that took months to actually provide any kind of list of what he had.....and never got to any pricing or idea of what he wanted.  Buying collections you have to deal with the duds, it's a sunk cost that's part of the game.

I have a story of a bust, I had someone contact me about 35 minutes away.  I usually never drive that far with someone whom provides very little detail on their comics (never a good sign), sure enough the stuff he had was nothing I had any interest in.  I still treated him cordially and after politely declining he directed me to an estate store where I scored a pile of good comics! (check the gargage sale thread, five copies of SSM 64 for $1.5 each, etc.).

I just post the "freebie" ads on some Canadian sites like Kijiji. When the ad expires, I just renew it.

I always try to look at collections whenever I get a call or lead.  99.9% of the time, turns out to be like the last visit (or worse) but can't play the game if you don't get on the field right?

Nice little score there. Congrats!

13 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Haven't set up at a game expo.  

Assuming it's a generally young crowd I'd take $1 books, sets, trades, moderns and modern variants of popular characters, and of course some wall books for the shock and awe value.  This would be an excellent show to use at least one table for books flat on the table.

I am going to assume it will be something similar to the local show I did up at the local university last year (but better) and that crowd skewed 20 somethings and under for the the most part.

I agree with trying the books out of the boxes and on the table for this show. How much to space dedicate and layout is up in the air but I have time. I was also going to scour my stock to look for video game themed comics and put those out on display. I agree with the cheapies, sets (I don't have a lot of trade stock) and whatever kewl modern books I have.

On 8/4/2017 at 6:07 PM, Wall-Crawler said:

Nothing much to report other than I picked up a banker box for CHEAP of some assorted MAD magazines and other oddities and antique/flea market fodder...

As pickings are slim I try to answer whatever call I get...Here is example...

20170804_173719.jpg

The Mad 476 (the Trump cover) does well on eBay.

23 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

...It pours (sorta).

I was contacted today by a local antique dealer wanting to divest themselves of their comics...

Haggled on bulk offer...This is what I got...

Will post better of finds once sorted...

20170806_160720.jpg

So the haul is looking good.  Not as many casualties as  I thought due to how they were stored.  Most of it is within the past 15 years with a few nice little finds.  

To expedite, I am going to be able to make a lot of nice runs and sets out of a this stuff.  Average condition is VF to NM- I would say.  Some better, some not. Perfect for shows.  This is not a "mega key find" but rather a nice solid collection of books that will serve me well at shows.

There is a small stack of Whitman books I have to look up too.  A few silver age and bronze age books. I have a handful of books that will allow me to pay off what I paid for this lot once I get them all squared away. 

I am trying to sort in-between doing some minor house stuff, so it is taking a bit longer than expected.  This is one of the things with being a one man show that I don't think your typical guy on the street appreciates, the time to put it all together...

6 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

I am trying to sort in-between doing some minor house stuff, so it is taking a bit longer than expected.  This is one of the things with being a one man show that I don't think your typical guy on the street appreciates, the time to put it all together...

Agree 100%.  Go to page 1 or 2 of this thread and that's where I'm at, just setting up at my second show ever this coming Sunday.  I spent 10 hours with my girlfriend yesterday driving around in Quebec looking at cottages, on the way back I picked-up a small lot of 100+ comics that I can move easily at $1/$2 each.  When buying collections it's like you're always playing catch-up....trying to get buys sorted, your collection organized (updated), and then figuring out what and how to sell while trying to live a full and normal life.

Edited by spreads

2 hours ago, spreads said:

Agree 100%.  Go to page 1 or 2 of this thread and that's where I'm at, just setting up at my second show ever this coming Sunday.  I spent 10 hours with my girlfriend yesterday driving around in Quebec looking at cottages, on the way back I picked-up a small lot of 100+ comics that I can move easily at $1/$2 each.  When buying collections it's like you're always playing catch-up....trying to get buys sorted, your collection organized (updated), and then figuring out what and how to sell while trying to live a full and normal life.

...My problem is worse during the summer. I hate being indoors (especially in summer).  When weather is good so I am at the lake whenever I can be.  Which usually leads to small mad rushes in the Fall and Winter to get stuff ready. I am still way behind on organizing and sorting previous collections but I have my "core" books and slowly work on getting more sale and show ready.

Ok, so making good progress on sorting...I have dubbed this collection "the working man's lot" lol

Here is an example of the sets I have been able to put together so far.  There are a few mini's under some of the piles and a few more off to the side...I think I have around 35 sets built. The big ones are complete Orion #1 - #25 and Batman and Outsiders #1 - #32 and Annual #1.

There are several more I could make but just missing one or two issues to make a set (so annoying), so those I set aside for another day in a special "to be completed box" in case I find the one or two issues to complete a set.  Examples: I need to find a Kitty Pryde and Wolverine #6 to complete the mini and Avengers Forever #4 to complete the maxi series.

I also have to decide whether to make lots/story arc sets out of runs of titles like Captain America, Dark Avengers, JLA/Justice League, Mighty Avengers, New Avengers and Uncanny X-Men or just sell as singles in my title boxes. Opinions?

Anyway group shot on some of the sets I have managed to assemble.  

August Lot.jpg

5 5