• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Comic Box - Rookie Adventures in Buying/Selling/Cons
5 5

809 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, spreads said:

This setup is awesome guys, how much additional time/space is needed transporting the materials/wall displays.  You guys really have quite the inventory if NTT #2 didn't make it to the wall!  On average for a show like this how many of those wall books would you sell in a day?

Thanks.  I think I mentioned before that the walls are shelves for closets.  They're heavy but we take them apart for transport and I can slide them between boxes the length of my vehicle so they don't take up a ton of room.  

When the economy was booming we sold a lot of keys and wall books.  There was one Calgary Expo that we sold 50% of our wall books and tons of sets and minor books.  It was insane.  Now that the economy has cooled it's tough.  We've done shows where we've only sold a couple minor wall books and debated leaving our walls at home. 

Our last show was pretty bad.  Wall was slow and I think we'd only sold one book until near the end when we sold a 7.5 ASM 129, FF 19 8.5 and another dealer asked up to put aside our ASM 20 9.2 plus a smaller book - we'll see if he pays.  Rest of our booth was dead, hardly anything sold and I think we may reduce how many booths we take.

10 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I quite like your display.

Very organized boxes with labels and dividers. (thumbsu

One thing I want to do with our boxes is to make every bag the same. Mylite 2 with board. I really dislike browsing a box where you have all sorts of different bags: poly bags with no tape or only 1 piece of tape and the corners of the flap are flipped up, mylars with open tops so as you browse flipping through books your fingers go into that open top and you ding the book.

We have a banner that I made, that I would like to get back to using again but I want to come up with a very fast and simple way of attaching it to the wall display.

20150925_150306_zpsgnqanmi9.jpg

CalgaryExpo2014019_zps1d268f9e.jpg

Thank you for the compliment!

I started to tape the two corners of all the bags, I hate it when you have a 'triangle' sticking up, so now whenever I bag and board, I tape both corners. All the books in my boxes are pretty much the same bag, either Comic Care and Ultra Pro. 

For the dividers, I just buy those "post it" tabs and write on them very neatly with a sharpie and then use clear packing tape to affix to a backing board and voila, inexpensive divider.  I am transitioning all "higher end" books to Mylites with Full Backs.

I want to make 'signs' for all the individual title runs at the back of the box, like say a Spidey face or Batman symbol, to help draw the eye in.

With regards to your banner, I had a concern when I went to the Sudbury show how to hang my banner...I just bought a some cheap white plastic shower curtain rings and those worked great for looping through grommet to hang it from the top of the back booth wall as they had some 'give' so you could adjust the size a wee bit.

As always, great set up!!! I always dig how you guys organize your booth.

28 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

I started to tape the two corners of all the bags, I hate it when you have a 'triangle' sticking up, so now whenever I bag and board, I tape both corners. All the books in my boxes are pretty much the same bag, either Comic Care and Ultra Pro. 

For the dividers, I just buy those "post it" tabs and write on them very neatly with a sharpie and then use clear packing tape to affix to a backing board and voila, inexpensive divider.  I am transitioning all "higher end" books to Mylites with Full Backs.

I want to make 'signs' for all the individual title runs at the back of the box, like say a Spidey face or Batman symbol, to help draw the eye in.

With regards to your banner, I had a concern when I went to the Sudbury show how to hang my banner...I just bought a some cheap white plastic shower curtain rings and those worked great for looping through grommet to hang it from the top of the back booth wall as they had some 'give' so you could adjust the size a wee bit.

As always, great set up!!! I always dig how you guys organize your booth.

Thanks.

I custom made dividers to put in our boxes.

Divider%20Master%20A_zpsbfa36f2s.jpg

Daredevil%20divider_zps9nekecni.jpg

Dividers%20master%20B_zps6bp6tava.jpg

Harley_zps0jej1be6.jpg

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 6:16 PM, thehumantorch said:

What is a 'sell-my-stuff' content sale?

We have 2 types of tables.  Larger 6'X 3' and a smaller 4'X 2'.  Karl is right, one of our 6'X 3' fell apart when I opened it at the last show, we've used them for probably 40 shows or more.  I tossed it.  Both of my smaller 4'X 2' tables have fallen apart also after perhaps 10 shows.  Essentially the screws holding the metal legs to the plastic top have ripped out.  They're just not built for heavy boxes.

You guys are bringing all your own tables?

https://www.sellmystuffcanada.com/

I've been to three of these in Ottawa now, they're franchise-run with an established business model.  This franchise is run very-well, the company is professional and they're very efficient.  I've gone to four of these and bought stuff at three of them (:P), my first experience with them was when I grabbed a pile of comics for $1 a piece (second guy in the door). 

13 minutes ago, spreads said:

You guys are bringing all your own tables?

https://www.sellmystuffcanada.com/

I've been to three of these in Ottawa now, they're franchise-run with an established business model.  This franchise is run very-well, the company is professional and they're very efficient.  I've gone to four of these and bought stuff at three of them (:P), my first experience with them was when I grabbed a pile of comics for $1 a piece (second guy in the door). 

Booth always comes with a table but we bring extras and jam them in.

Thanks for the link to sellmystuff, will check it out.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 12:44 AM, Artboy99 said:

Thanks.

I custom made dividers to put in our boxes.

Divider%20Master%20A_zpsbfa36f2s.jpg

Daredevil%20divider_zps9nekecni.jpg

Dividers%20master%20B_zps6bp6tava.jpg

Harley_zps0jej1be6.jpg

Love em.  I had a great reaction when I printed out the top 2 inches of key books (BA 12, ASM 129, etc) and used those as my headers to designate where stuff was located.  Had about a dozen people get wide eyed and grab the "book" and laugh when they saw it was only the header on top of a couple backing boards.

53 minutes ago, spreads said:

Have you guys seen those painted short boxes?  I saw a few people with them last show, there was an all-black venom box!  It looked really cool....

I have not seen the Venom one but I have seen them. They are more expensive than you basic short box though I know that.  My only issue with using those for a show besides cost, is that I would want to fill the box with what the actual box art is...But that is just me...I will be sticking with just making a nice label for the front.  Now, if they came out with nice Spidey ones for my personal collection...

15 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

I have not seen the Venom one but I have seen them. They are more expensive than you basic short box though I know that.  My only issue with using those for a show besides cost, is that I would want to fill the box with what the actual box art is...But that is just me...I will be sticking with just making a nice label for the front.  Now, if they came out with nice Spidey ones for my personal collection...

I wouldn't bring them to shows to highlight, they would get damaged/bumped during moving.  As a short-box on your shelf though they look amazing.

On ‎2017‎/‎11‎/‎21 at 10:15 AM, spreads said:

I wouldn't bring them to shows to highlight, they would get damaged/bumped during moving.  As a short-box on your shelf though they look amazing.

I agree. It is amazing how beat up boxes get doing shows, even if you take care of them something still manages to get dinged and ripped.

8 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I agree. It is amazing how beat up boxes get doing shows, even if you take care of them something still manages to get dinged and ripped.

Yep. I have some I have to replace. I was thinking of a) moving to short boxes or b) trying those more "plastic-y" type long boxes.

1 minute ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Yep. I have some I have to replace. I was thinking of a) moving to short boxes or b) trying those more "plastic-y" type long boxes.

we went with shortboxes and I am happy we did so.

Easier to haul, can fit them into little spots in the vehicle. Lighter to lift: this old guy isn't as strong as he used to be!

I have never used the plastic boxes. I was looking into them a few years ago, the consistently higher price turned me away.

25 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

we went with shortboxes and I am happy we did so.

Easier to haul, can fit them into little spots in the vehicle. Lighter to lift: this old guy isn't as strong as he used to be!

I have never used the plastic boxes. I was looking into them a few years ago, the consistently higher price turned me away.

How long would those plastic boxes last?  It's funny, a buddy of mine was trying to sell used long-boxes...lol it's like they're taped and beat-up, just give em away to people who want em! 

Would the short boxes take longer to move though?  I'm looking at the 8-10 longs I'm bringing, seems like it would take longer to load/unload? 

On 11/9/2017 at 5:43 PM, Wall-Crawler said:

Turns out for sure the April 2018 show is done.  The other organizer said he is willing to try it one more time for next October though.  

Part of that though depends if I am willing to take on an organizer role. They like my product and ideas.  I said I would need some time to think about it as I am not sure I will be able to dedicate the time to it.  I work full time, active buyer/seller and I do enjoy my out door activities.  I do wonder though about how much "say" I may or may not end up ultimately having as well.  Apparently, the other vendor said that he would still deal with the dealers but looking for someone to do advertising, promotion, recruitment.  I asked about "re-branding" and that would also be on the table but kind of need to know if I am interested or not.

I don't want this little show to "die".  For me, it is a good little show.  I am leaning towards "trying out" to be an organizer for the next one to see if we can improve things. I do have to make a decision soon though.

What say thee? Give it a go and throw my hat in the organizer ring? Run away and do something else? Any advice either way?

...I also found out only about 250 people came through the doors last show (I knew attendance was way down)...Even with that low attendance, I still did very, very well thanks to my regulars...

I have had to do a fair bit of travelling for work, been busy, etc. so just got around to talking to the other organizer today for like half an hour.

So...while I strongly considered @Bird advice to just let this show die and maybe do one on my own later, I kind of took the middle road.

I agreed to "partner" for just the October 2018 Show (April 2018 Show is dead).  Basically, if I had said "no" the other organizer would have opted out and the show would have died as he does not want to do one on his own.  However,  I would only commit to doing the October Show on a "let's see how it goes" basis and my role will primarily be marketing and promotion.

I opted to do a "trial run" because this is a good little show for me.  When I mentioned the show might "die" several of my regulars seemed disappointed, so that was a factor. It also "saves" me from having to organize something on my own right out of the gate should this one have folded and get some more experience.  Most importantly, this will test my "motivation" to do something like this and I want to see how receptive the other person will really be in terms of giving me the reigns and letting me run with my ideas. 

We briefly discussed some of my concerns and ideas and "compensation" for my time.  It is really too early to comment about it more than this as we are going to have a longer sit down early in the New Year to really hash things out.

So, in the meantime, if people have suggestions about promotion/co-organizing a local show (with limited budget) feel free to post here and/or send via PM.

3 minutes ago, spreads said:

How long would those plastic boxes last?  It's funny, a buddy of mine was trying to sell used long-boxes...lol it's like they're taped and beat-up, just give em away to people who want em! 

Would the short boxes take longer to move though?  I'm looking at the 8-10 longs I'm bringing, seems like it would take longer to load/unload? 

8-10 longs isn't much. We typically bring the equivalent of up to 25-30 longs. I find the shorts are easier to lift and lighter. Yes you are doing the motions twice as much but it is easier to do. Want to speed it up then lift 2 shorts at once.

15 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

8-10 longs isn't much. We typically bring the equivalent of up to 25-30 longs. I find the shorts are easier to lift and lighter. Yes you are doing the motions twice as much but it is easier to do. Want to speed it up then lift 2 shorts at once.

So, 50-60 shorts :P....I do lift two long boxes at once and carry them down the hall, I think I partially over-exerted myself and pulled a groin muscle because I was dying in the last ball hockey game. 

Another off-topic rant, how and where do you guys store your books?  I see having a short-box inventory as a huge plus in that regard.....

38 minutes ago, spreads said:

So, 50-60 shorts :P....I do lift two long boxes at once and carry them down the hall, I think I partially over-exerted myself and pulled a groin muscle because I was dying in the last ball hockey game. 

Another off-topic rant, how and where do you guys store your books?  I see having a short-box inventory as a huge plus in that regard.....

Sigh, where do we store them?  Where don't we store them.... Most of our stuff that doesn't go to shows is in my basement.  Call it 150 longs.  My basement is big so it's not a huge problem storing them but it's a pain taking them down and up the stairs.  Inventory that goes to shows is split between my garage and artboy's condo.  Silly story - A few years ago we bought a 10 long box collection and decided to store it at artboy's third floor condo.  After we moved it in I noticed his floor seemed to be sagging.  We had so much in there that I think we were exceeding his wood frame condo's weight tolerance.  I can just imagine the news after his floor collapsed into the condo below.  We moved that collection to my place.

13 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Sigh, where do we store them?  Where don't we store them.... Most of our stuff that doesn't go to shows is in my basement.  Call it 150 longs.  My basement is big so it's not a huge problem storing them but it's a pain taking them down and up the stairs.  Inventory that goes to shows is split between my garage and artboy's condo.  Silly story - A few years ago we bought a 10 long box collection and decided to store it at artboy's third floor condo.  After we moved it in I noticed his floor seemed to be sagging.  We had so much in there that I think we were exceeding his wood frame condo's weight tolerance.  I can just imagine the news after his floor collapsed into the condo below.  We moved that collection to my place.

You want to take pain moving boxes - I live (hopefully not much longer) in a penthouse condo on the 27th floor.  At least if that floor collapses it might take down our neighbors!  :D

The most I've seen in person was a Kingston dealer's home and his 300+ boxes, god shoot me if I get anywhere remotely near that level.  However, maybe if this thread is still running we'll re-visit this post in five years and I'll be at 400.  :facepalm:

5 5