• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Comic Box - Rookie Adventures in Buying/Selling/Cons
5 5

809 posts in this topic

Graphic Con Update 

I was told I a can set up my booth how I want so long as I don't extend beyond my allotted booth space (creep) or interfere with another vendor. Makes perfect sense.  I also have to be able to quickly and safely enter/leave my booth space. 

Now the one area that is a bit surprising, is it turns out I may be able to use another table (the show supplies one 8 foot table with tablecloth) but the tablecloth I use must be "fire resistant (with a certificate proving so)" OR according to the fire regulations, pass a  test that that involves cutting a piece of the fabric, holding a match under it for 12 seconds to see if it burns.  If it does not burn or stops as soon as match removed or within 2 seconds, it is fire resistant.  If not, no good.

Now, is this just something stated for "insurance purposes"?  Where the heck would you even buy such a tablecloth?  Are they really going to ask me to produce a certificate?  I suppose worse case scenario, I just get your typical  tablecloth and if someone comes around and it doesn't "pass the test", I just don't use it?

Just wondering if folks from other larger cons have encountered these kind of fire or other regulations or know where I can get a tablecloth that will meet the regulation to save me any potential hassle. This is my first show there and I don't want any "hiccups". 

...Not exactly the most "exciting" post but it is related to setting up shows! 

Edit: Found some fire retardant tablecloths online.  Looks like I will be ordering one once I know for 100% I can make use of an extra table and will add that to the 'expense' list once I do. Sorry for lame post. lol

Edited by Wall-Crawler

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I've never heard of a show requiring fire resistant table cloths.  

Ok, so maybe it wasn't just me...

We were supposed to get exhibitor package, floor plan and where our booths are located today...Got an email at the end of the day saying it would be delayed until next week due to a "last minute change has left us reviewing our site plan".  Oh well. One more week...

16 minutes ago, W16227 said:

lol - especially considering all of the significantly NOT flame retardant comic books on top of them..........

This is why I am wondering if it is one of those "insurance things we have to say to cover our butts".  The fire regs that were sent ahead of the package make reference to a whole whack of stuff, like corrugated cardboard...Good thing I don't have my paper wares in "cardboard" boxes :whistle:

Anyway, once I find out for sure on my space I can decide how I can configure and if I need to order a tablecloth...Here is a link to the fire resistant tablecloth I found and will order if I have to in case anyone else ever has to:

http://www.displays2go.ca/P-2548/6ft-Deluxe-Table-Cover-Black

"The table cover is durable and flame retardant and all orders are shipped with a flame retardant certificate from an independent testing laboratory."

Edited by Wall-Crawler

Well, I received my exhibitor package from Sudbury Graphic Con. I am pretty pleased.  

I have been told that my booth is "open" on two sides so I can supply my own table, which is fantastic as I can bring more product.  I am going to be going with an "L" shape.  Displays behind me.  "Traditional" I know but I think my safest bet for first show here. Now, I just need to order a fire resistant table cloth ;)

Booths are slightly smaller, they are 10 (w) x 8 (d) and they supply the one 8 ft table with black covering and drapery.

Here I am...A41 (More Fun Comics)

Graphic Con Layout - MFC Booth Location.jpg

Edited by Wall-Crawler

So I had been researching about getting a fire resistant table cloth, looking for where to buy as shipping costs on some of them seemed out of whack.  I told my wife my "dilemma".  The first thing she said was "why don't you ask them if you can just rent one from them?"

:idea:

I emailed my contact on Thursday.  Today they replied that they don't rent them but "sure we can provide you with an extra one at no charge".

:banana:

Sometimes the simplest solution is just asking a polite question.  Or listening to your wife lol  I must say, so far, the organizers have been very accommodating and excellent to deal with. I am really starting to look forward to the show.

27 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Mycomicshop.com does not have any listed for that price so I asked him what store and if I could have a link...

I want that link too - I would buy that in an instant

I am all set for GRAPHIC CON.

I have all the books/display loaded into the truck and ready for transport.  Higher end stuff will be loaded tomorrow morning.

Friday:  Drive to Sudbury in the AM (about an hour and a half from my home), do some shopping.

I can set up between 2 - 3:30 PM so will do that.

Have some dinner.  Afterwards, going to see Wonder Woman!

Saturday:

Have to be ready to go at 9:30 AM.  Doors open the public at 10 AM.

SELL, SELL, SELL

Show closes at 8 PM.  Plan is to unpack as quickly as possible and hopefully be on the road home by 9:30 PM.

Get home around 11:30 PM/Midnight at latest.

* I opted to not stay overnight as A) I can make it home, B) would prefer to sleep in my own bed whenever I can and C) I don't want to "waste" all of Sunday driving home and unloading.  Oh, and I guess there is an E) Save some $$$ by not having to spend more on another hotel

Note: I will try to actually post some pics of this particular show and follow up with my 'market report'.

Good luck with the show.

For a local multi-day show, say a 2 day show with a Friday setup, we sometimes haul in as much as possible for setup, haul more in Saturday morning and then haul out some of what doesn't seem to be selling home Saturday night.  And then if anything did sell well Saturday haul more of it Sunday morning.  Essentially adjusting our inventory throughout the show and making Sunday take down easier by taking some stuff home Saturday night.

5 5