• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Standards?

27 posts in this topic

If this topic has been started somewhere sorry I'm on my phone and I don't feel like searching through more topics. So I'm i the only one thinking that CGC is starting to get tougher on grades? If so do you think the market will add value at some point to grades. I think when someone sells a modern book in 9.6 for 100 less than raw on a 300 dollar book then there is something wrong.

If this topic has been started somewhere sorry I'm on my phone and I don't feel like searching through more topics. So I'm i the only one thinking that CGC is starting to get tougher on grades? If so do you think the market will add value at some point to grades. I think when someone sells a modern book in 9.6 for 100 less than raw on a 300 dollar book then there is something wrong.

They've run hot and cold as long as I can remember. Essentially if your only submitting a book for the purpose of grading it is akin to playing the lottery. If there were someway to remove the human element, then you would have a fair and balanced system, and until that happens I can assure you its a crapshoot to say the very least. (can u tell I don't submit much anymore :preach:

My speculative theory is that CGC started tightening their grading about 18 months ago (that's when I noticed slabs coming back about .5 lower than they would have come back 18+ months ago) to signal to the market that CGC is the tighter (and thus more desired) grading label. Timing is not coincidental with the arrival of CBCS on the scene.

That's my theory, but there's no doubt grading has been tighter. I've had some books hammered recently that I've reduced submissions.

My speculative theory is that CGC started tightening their grading about 18 months ago (that's when I noticed slabs coming back about .5 lower than they would have come back 18+ months ago) to signal to the market that CGC is the tighter (and thus more desired) grading label. Timing is not coincidental with the arrival of CBCS on the scene.

That's my theory, but there's no doubt grading has been tighter. I've had some books hammered recently that I've reduced submissions.

I personally am nervous about submissions of high dollar books to CGC these days - although there's a plethora of graded visual data available to compare one's books prior to submission, things do seem to be consistently coming back lower and lower.

Good theory.

but books can't continue to come back lower and lower... if CGC has decided to grade tighter than CBCS, then they eventually have to settle on a new standard.

+1

That was my initial guess when I got my last batch back, that it was a first timer or something. I keep looking them over and cant shake the feeling some are way way off. I'm gonna break down and crack a couple open and resend them with my next batch to see.

When I'm looking at a 7 that looks exactly like a 9.4 it tends to bother me. After over 200 submissions this was the first time I absolutely felt something was wrong, upsetting considering how long I waited and the money I spent.

That was my initial guess when I got my last batch back, that it was a first timer or something. I keep looking them over and cant shake the feeling some are way way off. I'm gonna break down and crack a couple open and resend them with my next batch to see.

When I'm looking at a 7 that looks exactly like a 9.4 it tends to bother me. After over 200 submissions this was the first time I absolutely felt something was wrong, upsetting considering how long I waited and the money I spent.

If you're looking at a book in a CGC 7.0 slab and it looks like a 9.4, it's far, far, far more likely that there's a significant yet not very visible defect you're missing than that CGC got it wrong. The usual culprits are stains or long non-color breaking creases that are only visible when you angle the book.

If you're looking at a book in a CGC 7.0 slab and it looks like a 9.4, it's far, far, far more likely that there's a significant yet not very visible defect you're missing than that CGC got it wrong. The usual culprits are stains or long non-color breaking creases that are only visible when you angle the book.

(thumbs u Yuuuup.

Yup indeed :preach:

I got back a Strange Adventures #191, which I had hoped would grade out higher than the blue 8.5 it received.

There was a very small stain on the 1st page, the size of a nickel or a quarter, IIRC.

The graders' notes indicated something like small stain on interior page.

I remember thinking the book looked much better than an 8.5, otherwise.

There will be occasional variations in grading, but they are minor and unavoidable.Grading paper is not 100% science, much more involved than grading a coin.

To suggest CGC has new standards, when you don't understand what is involved in grading, is erroneous.

Look, the resto service is bar none the best out there and at least you get more consistent grading than from the millions of collectors out there and at least one or more of the competitors. However, I hope no fan boys really believe that the human element at CGC (or anywhere else) does not cause for discrepancies from grader to grader. Grading is by no means an exact science! If you think your book got slammed, resubmit and post the results,I have seen both sizable bumps and even some drops, to some small degree a final grade depends on the defects and the different graders preferences, having a long day at work etc! :preach:

Yep hope your books get graded on Friday afternoon instead of Monday morning.

Sure there are books which are like a 9.5, it has to land on either a 9.4 or 9.6. It can go either way.

I have noticed this before. Some books I think are 9.4 get 9.6 and some books I definitely think are 9.6 get 9.4 (shrug) . Every book I have graded from 1990 forwards is in a slab and is either 9.4 or 9.6 (with the occasional 9.8) and sometimes I compare them and I still don't understand the difference.

I don't see how changing your grading standards makes you more desirable. If anything, it looks more inconsistent and puts into question the thousands of books graded previously. You also have to consider the other guys have a good rep and not easily swept under the carpet like PGX. I've heard many people say they're in no hurry to submit books, also not so great for the bottom end.

There's certainly a lot of anecdotal evidence to support the notion that CGC has tightened their grading up recently.

For instance, I recently resubmitted a book. The original grade was 9.4. I cracked the slab and had the book professionally pressed and cleaned and resubmitted it.

Originally the book was graded a 9.4 and listed three defects in the grader's notes.

The resub came back with only a single defect listed in the grader's notes--but now was graded only a 9.2. So apparently the book improved, but its grade went down.

Your miles may vary.

There's certainly a lot of anecdotal evidence to support the notion that CGC has tightened their grading up recently.

For instance, I recently resubmitted a book. The original grade was 9.4. I cracked the slab and had the book professionally pressed and cleaned and resubmitted it.

Originally the book was graded a 9.4 and listed three defects in the grader's notes.

The resub came back with only a single defect listed in the grader's notes--but now was graded only a 9.2. So apparently the book improved, but its grade went down.

Your miles may vary.

Simply ask them to correct the error.

Your miles may vary.

Simply ask them to correct the error.

I did not know that was possible. Thank you. I will email CGC now.