• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What did the werid comic reader or owner do their comic book?

50 posts in this topic

I bought a pile of DC horror comics at the flea market. On the back cover of one it looked like a pentagram drawn in blood. Call me superstitious, but I threw it away. And I don't like to throw away comics no matter how bad they are.

Recently acquired first volume of Dr. Strange collection, I found #1 has two tapes over the staples. Checked if the cover was detached. No, the cover is still attached. Flipped through pages. I was so puzzled by the Marvel Stamp was taped around it then the tapes went on to the edge of the page. The MVS is fully intact and is never cut.

In the olden days of collecting it was not unheard of to apply small pieces of tape over the staples as a way of protecting the book. Have to wonder if the collector was an older person.

Just out of curiosity, Dr. Strange has a few iterations. Are you talking about the 2nd series from 1974?

PS - this habit of using scotch tape back in the day was at least part of the reason CGC does noes not consider scotch tape to be resto.

Yes, it is the second series.

A couple of years after I moved to SF in 1999 I was at a shop going through a small pile of Fiction House GGA (Fight, Rangers and Wings titles). On every panel of every page someone had, with a soft black pencil, drew a small circle centered on every woman's breast. They did not miss a single one. It was a pity as the books were in beautiful shape. We dubbed it The Nipple Collection.

I found a collection of Cherry Poptarts had the pages glued together. Guess it was to keep the comic from creasing? (shrug)

After decades, I'll confess that I went through a brief period of mutilating my comic books.

As a kid in the mid-70s, what annoyed me about reading Marvels was you'd get two facing pages of story and artwork (yay!) followed by two facing pages of ads (boo!). So I took a bottle of rubber cement and GLUED THE AD PAGES TOGETHER, so that I only had beautiful story pages to look at when I flipped through the book. This became laborious over time, so I stopped. I haven't yet found any of these poor glued books as I've been combing through and selling off this year. When I do, I'll post a photo, because awful.

My DCs were worse. DC at the time, iirc, had their ads stitched into the story, so that you'd HAVE to look at the ads while you read the content. (In retrospect, they were obviously training us for web sites.) But in order to do this, the ads wound up being printed on the same sheet of paper: front and back straddling the centerfold. So I would carefully loosen the staple, lift out all but the cover and first interior pages, then pull out all the sheets with the ads. I'd then put the remaining content pages back in the book, re-bend the staple in place, and voila!: a thinner, but ad-free book. (In retrospect, I should have a patent on ad-blocking.) As a result, whenever I list any mid-70s DCs, I have to make extra careful it's not one of my OO books that I mutilated.

Thanks for reading. My soul seems lighter now.

I loved how they did those ads. It made it much easier for me to remove for my book binding preparations.

I remember years ago,there was a Shock Suspense Cases ,I think,with the insides just ruined by some bigot filling in racial slurs.....on eBay I think...it was one of those classic ecs anyways...wish I could find it,there was a thread here about it I believe.