• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow, everything is getting very pricey.

104 posts in this topic

8802674157_518dd243f6_b_d.jpg

Looks way better than the Pedigree 9.8. Nice book! (thumbs u

Yes it does but to be fair this book does not look like a 9.4. It looks like a 9.8. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say that whatever is bringing this book down isn't visible in the front cover scan.

I agree. Can we have a look at the BC?

Don't have one. Nothing wrong with it, though. You aren't missing anything.

Have to admit that 9.4 is a gem....

And lots of discussion over two very common Bronze Age books has such drama,

whodathunkit...:lol:

:sumo:

I agree. A bit too much of an overblown interrogation process.

Something you've read a million times before if you've been on the boards for a while.

Same old division between the 'buy the book, the presentation, not the grade number' collectors vs. the label chasers, and too much justification being demanded here by the latter.

Simply put ; I like the book, its presentation, the price I paid for it, and that's good enough for me. (shrug)

Something you've read a million times before if you've been on the boards for a while.

Same old division between the 'buy the book, the presentation, not the grade number' collectors vs. the label chasers, and too much justification being demanded here by the latter.

Simply put ; I like the book, its presentation, the price I paid for it, and that's good enough for me. (shrug)

Me thinks someone's panties are overly bunched this morning.

grade number collectors = the righteous and just = you (I presume)

label chasers = the sleazy scum of comic collector society (again I presume based on your tone)

Oh and please point me to where anyone was "demanding justification"?

All I said was your book doesn't look like a 9.4, it looks like a 9.8, therefore it is my assumption that the reason it wasn't graded a 9.8 isn't visible from the front cover scan. The other guy just asked to see a back cover scan. My assumption could be wrong... maybe they graded it a 9.4 just because the grader was hungover that day. And maybe the defect that brings it down (if there is one) just isn't visible from a scan, through a slab, of only the front cover... bollocks I tell ya... everyone knows you can accurately determine a grade that way :eyeroll:

Wolverine 1st isn't going anywhere but I think the importance of GSX 1 & X-men 94 relies on the nostalgia of people who collected from '75 to around '87.

When the X-Factor series started it kicked off the X-everything era....mutants were everywhere and what was great about the all new all different X-men got lost.

Most people will laugh, but what really got me into the X-men was the cartoon on Fox in the early 90's.

I didn't start collecting until the early 90's, as I am only 32 years old, but GSX and X-men #94 were the 1st two books that I purchased were CGC 9.4.

label chasers = the sleazy scum of comic collector society (again I presume based on your tone)

All I said was your book doesn't look like a 9.4, it looks like a 9.8, therefore it is my assumption that the reason it wasn't graded a 9.8 isn't visible from the front cover scan. The other guy just asked to see a back cover scan. My assumption could be wrong... maybe they graded it a 9.4 just because the grader was hungover that day. And maybe the defect that brings it down (if there is one) just isn't visible from a scan, through a slab, of only the front cover... bollocks I tell ya... everyone knows you can accurately determine a grade that way :eyeroll:

Got to agree, as pristine as that book looks, there has to be something that knocks it down to a 9.4. Nevertheless It's a moot issue as we won't be able to see the BC.

Regardless that's the best 9.4 FC I've seen in a long time.

Oh and BTW the OP stated everything is getting pricey. I agree. Even bronze age books are getting pricey in the elite grades despite "how common they may be".

Got to agree, as pristine as that book looks, there has to be something that knocks it down to a 9.4. Nevertheless It's a moot issue as we won't be able to see the BC.

Oh and BTW the OP stated everything is getting pricey. I agree. Even bronze age books are getting pricey in the elite grades despite "how common they may be".

The 9.4 is very nice and presents better than the stated grade, but the miswrap would be an issue for myself.

The 9.4 is very nice and presents better than the stated grade, but the miswrap would be an issue for myself.

To tell you the truth. I didn't even notice the miswrap on this book until you brought it up.

Personally I think miswraps on books are a little overblown and are more about personal preference more than anything.

CGC doesn't factor miswraps in their grading criteria as far as I know.

Not to start an argument about this X-men 94 but I'm curious about others thoughts on the issue.

Is a miswrap a factor for you when buying higher-graded books or the ones you covet the most?

Is a miswrap a factor for you when buying higher-graded books or the ones you covet the most?

Other than comics I buy solely for reading, It's important to me on any purchase. However, it also depends on the comic itself. If it's a common bronze key, for example, I would wait until I found a copy that was best for me. If it were a pre-code Atlas, I might not have the luxury to be so picky. Same goes for page quality.

9.4 is not "pristine", lol ...

Actually, it is. A 9.4 BA book is much harder than you think (or know) lol

For me to purchase? My experience has been it is quite easy.

I never said an X-men 94 9.4 wasn't a great book, or hard to find. I said it is not pristine.

Pristine = 9.8 or above to me. Just my opinion.

What I said - If I was buying that issue in 9.8, it would have a perfect wrap.

I think you are trying to argue for the sake of arguing.

9.4 is not "pristine", lol ...

Actually, it is. A 9.4 BA book is much harder than you think (or know) lol

Thank you.

Hmmm he wouldn't purchase a 9.8 unless it has a perfect wrap but calls this 9.4 a beauty (but it's not pristine) and would love to be the owner with the miswrap? :juggle:

lol

You guys are goofy.

It's a pretty book, and I would love to own it. It's a $1,500-$1,600 bronze age 9.4 key. Looks great on the front cover.

But it is a 9.4, and therefore not pristine.

What is hard to understand about that...?