• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Pawn Shop?

38 posts in this topic

Most of the LCS owners I know already do this if they are dealing with a regular customer.

However I've also thought about doing this as an online service. It seems like a win-win really. I have experience as a pawn broker.

Obviously avoid anything that's hot because of hype and try to stick to blue chips when lending.

Not to be self promotional, but I do this. The business name is Rare Asset Finance (rarefin.com, @comicloans on twitter), we are based out of Montana (also have a NY office), the business is fully licensed and insured, and all items are stored in secure off site vaults during the transaction. Our rates are about 1/3 of pawn shops. We have worked with quite a few collectors over the years all over the country. Feel free to comment/message me if you have any questions.

To the best of my knowledge, this is accurate with a caveat: you need to check with the state/municipality you live in and comply with any of their requirements. For example, in my state, you need to apply for a pawnbroker's license through the state to conduct these types of transactions and get your license renewed annually thereafter. I'm sure it is different in every state, but I would recommend any one call their Secretary of State's office to get details before doing a transaction.

It's not a bad idea but unless it's an emergency people shouldn't buy stuff they can't afford. I'd personally LOVE to drop money on a decent copy of hulk 181 but can't justify comics of any sort until bills and kids are taken care of.

It's not a bad idea but unless it's an emergency people shouldn't buy stuff they can't afford. I'd personally LOVE to drop money on a decent copy of hulk 181 but can't justify comics of any sort until bills and kids are taken care of.
:screwy:

:screwy:

Agreed