• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,098 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

Ok, you’re right, we might just disagree. Batman is my all time favorite character and I have been anticipating this announcement for a long time. As for “deserving better” I would have needed to be in that casting room and saw everyone’s audition to really have an informed perspective on which actor deserves the role the most. To me, the best Batman was already cast, which was Michael Keaton. So I’m not looking for anyone to be the best, I guess. Just something new. Of all the rumors I’ve seen nothing has really turned me off. Perhaps I’m just easier to please in this category. And I’m not a hater. :cool:

I'm not a Pattinson "hater". He's just a mediocre actor. When Affleck was cast, I was critical/skeptic, but I knew he had the acting chops. There was optimism in that.

I don't think he looks the part and I don't think he can act either part (Wayne or Batman).

Also, why are they casting Brits for A-list Worlds of DC heroes? Cavill for Superman, now this?

Just hours after Variety announced former Twilight star Robert Pattinson is expected to win the role of a younger Bruce Wayne in the Matt Reeves-directed The Batman, multiple petitions have surfaced hoping to oust Pattinson from the Batcave.

One petition pleads to studio Warner Bros: “Don’t make the Batfleck mistake again,” citing former Batman star Ben Affleck, who exited the role after starring as a weathered crime-fighter in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad, and Justice League. The petition is accompanied by a portrait of Pattinson with “no” graffitied across his face.

Another urges like-minded fans to thwart Warner Bros.’ plans, calling the casting a “complete joke” and “the worst casting ever” for the Dark Knight. A similar petition seeks to “replace Robert Pattinson as the new Batman,” the plea described as “self explanatory.”

Yet another campaigns on the behalf of Call Me by Your Name star Armie Hammer, writing, “To cast Robert Pattinson or anyone other than Armie Hammer at this point would be a joke.”

Variety exclusively reported Thursday Pattinson is “top choice” for the role and that the deal is expected to close shortly.

But the deal is not yet official, and Deadline noted Dark Phoenix star Nicholas Hoult is still in the running for the role alongside reported frontrunner Pattinson. Hoult is said to be a favorite of Reeves and the studio.

Things are getting serious now when fan petitions start flying around.

:insane:

4 hours ago, Comicopolis said:

On the same day Grumpy Cat died as well.

Wait, is this true?  :(

2 hours ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

HATERS GON HATE

Man I’m sick of the internet already today. Good for Rob for accepting this challenge. I think he’s a great actor. Opinions are opinions. People see him and think Twilight or Harry Potter and start fan boy crying. Get over it.

“I’m gonna boycott this movie.” :roflmao:Grow up.

That's a perfectly valid response.  Money talks and is the only actual way to affect a large corporation (other than bad publicity).  I watch every Marvel movie on preview night because the trailers look good, the casting is usually decent, and they've established a level of quality that I trust.  DC (outside of Cavill and Gadot) has done none of that.  I have no idea how anyone sees Ezra Miller and thinks "yes, that's my Barry."  The CG has looked awful.  And most importantly, the trailers (which trailer/editing departments are hired to make movies look good) looked terrible (again outside of Man of Steel and Wonder Woman).  I would have watched the movies in theaters if the trailers looked good.  Instead, I spoke with my wallet, like any actual grown up would do.  I didn't go opening weekend, I waited for reviews, and when those reviews came back bad to mixed, I elected not to spend my money.

(I suspect when you say "Grow up" you're referring to the small group of people who intentionally try to bring bad publicity to a film to actively dissuade people from watching the movie (for example, for socio-political reasons a la Black Panther and Captain Marvel)).

IS ROBERT PATTINSON the new Batman? That's THE question on the geek mind Friday. The answer is…complicated. Depending on who you talk to Pattinson is just the frontrunner on a very very short list. Others will tell you the part is his. Or even that a deal is done. One insider tells Heat Vision it’s still on ongoing process. And that there’s a whole vetting system that is underway. While mum on details, that “process” means, in part, screen tests, costume tests, readings, and meetings. But, yes, deep conversations are being had.  

Batman is, for Warner Bros., THE most important brand, IP, character, whatever you want to call him, in its portfolio. He is the most popular superhero character in the world, even bigger than anything Marvel has. In fact, Batman has only risen in importance since Christian Baleheadlined the Christopher Nolan trilogy in the aughts. So WB execs are, of course, being extremely meticulous, perhaps to a fault, in handling what is supposed to be a new trilogy. They don’t want a repeat of the Ben Affleck debacle where they had a divisive Batman and saw a potential solo franchise collapse in public.

(And regarding the importance of costume tests, you may recall that's how an actor looked in a mask was a key factor for WB choosing Ryan Reynolds over Bradley Cooper when casting Green Lantern…not that the final product seemed to have mattered.)

Matt Reeves is still tweaking his -script, which is rumored to have at least two villains, the Penguin being one of them, according to sources (one person is telling us there will be around half-a-dozen villains!). We’re hearing of another purrrfect character making an appearance in the -script as well.

Catwoman.

8 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Also, why are they casting Brits for A-list Worlds of DC heroes? Cavill for Superman, now this?

We don't just play villains all the time. :smile:

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Catwoman.

I would honestly have no problem if they just gave us a movie with JGL as Nightwing, and brought in Anne Hathaway and Margot Robbie to reprise their roles as Catwoman and Harley Quinn.  The dynamic between those 3 would be great as Catwoman and Harley seem to enjoy toying with the "baby bird".  I realize the Nolan universe is separate, but at this point it was the last great series of DC movies, what would be the harm in returning to it.