• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,098 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Grails said:

I love the Twitter comments on it.

81B2AC78-72F7-4C31-B868-16C6F37E1162.jpeg

Oh, never worry. There are some that write their comments in advance that they plan to post. And then like this, some go for any negative point they can make.

Just saw it.  I stand by what I said... it looks amazing from the style to the casting... but I question whether or not there is 'too much going on"... 

So we have Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, Carmine Falcone and....

Joker Gangs? 

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 10.59.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 10.58.31 PM.png

32 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I’m not sure what everyone else sees but I see an amazing looking movie

this captures “Batman” that I read growing up 

a human with no super powers, brains, money and determination to get “vengeance”

And with Matt Reeves taking some risks by presenting recognized characters at the early stages of their roles. Including a young Penguin.

penguin.PNG.b93ce7aad4e0f443d84a11b6dc1c7793.PNG

26 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

They look more like Oakland Raiders fans to me...

(I think they're probably just generic goons to depict the lawlessness of the city.)

I would have agreed if not for the extra smile line by extending the lip line up the cheeks with black painted smears. 

I like the costume design on them though.... creepy AF

Edited by Buzzetta

12 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Just saw it.  I stand by what I said... it looks amazing from the style to the casting... but I question whether or not there is 'too much going on"... 

Joker Gangs? 

I think sometimes when we see a character list for a solo film, we assume it is overwhelming. Then they get released and we sit back and enjoy.

Look at a film like Captain America: The First Avenger.

• Chris Evans: Steve Rogers/Captain America
  • Hugo Weaving: Red Skull
  • Hayley Atwell: Peggy Carter
  • Sebastian Stan: Bucky Barnes
  • Dominic Cooper: Howard Stark
  • Samuel Jackson: Nick Fury
  • Toby Jones: Arnim Zola (MODOK)
  • Howling Commandos:
    • Neal McDonough: Dum Dum Dugan
    • Derek Luke: Gabe Jones
    • Kenneth Choi: Jim Morita
    • JJ Feild: James Montgomery Falsworth (Union Jack)

On paper, it looks like far too many characters. In film, they weave them all together at various stages of their character progression. Including a younger Zola before he becomes the computer-based MODOK in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

I think sometimes when we see a character list for a solo film, we assume it is overwhelming. Then they get released and we sit back and enjoy.

Look at a film like Captain America: The First Avenger.

• Chris Evans: Steve Rogers/Captain America
  • Hugo Weaving: Red Skull
  • Hayley Atwell: Peggy Carter
  • Sebastian Stan: Bucky Barnes
  • Dominic Cooper: Howard Stark
  • Samuel Jackson: Nick Fury
  • Toby Jones: Arnim Zola (MODOK)
  • Howling Commandos:
    • Neal McDonough: Dum Dum Dugan
    • Derek Luke: Gabe Jones
    • Kenneth Choi: Jim Morita
    • JJ Feild: James Montgomery Falsworth (Union Jack)

On paper, it looks like far too many characters. In film, they weave them all together at various stages of their character progression. Including a younger Zola before he becomes the computer-based MODOK in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

The example you give is on the hero side which is often the dynamic presented.  For example, in Star Wars, a band of heroes to stop the Empire with the main villain, Darth Vader and secondary villain of Tarkin.  Stormtroopers are background chatter or the minions of the big bad.  We see the same in Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Justice League, The Road Warrior.

Now Batman has always been an outlier to this concept.  One man. One City.  Batman against ALL the villains.   If this were something like a Arkham Asylum Breakout movie, I would be pumped... but it might be too villain heavy for the noir type movie that Reeves is stating this is.  It's a wait and see approach... I am not saying that this is going to suck in the slightest... I think that this is going to surprise people to be honest... but if this is successful and Pattinson is Batman for a few more films I don't want them to immediately cycle through some of their best villains. 

Looks promising, but I can't tell much at all really.

Do we know whose voice that is at the end where presumably Bruce says "how am I a part of it?" and someone responds "you'll see."

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Looks promising, but I can't tell much at all really.

Do we know whose voice that is at the end where presumably Bruce says "how am I a part of it?" and someone responds "you'll see."

The Riddler (Paul Dano) I believe.

The Batman’s Version Of The Riddler Is Like Nothing You’ve Seen

Paul-Dano-as-The-Riddler-in-The-Batman.j

Director Matt Reeves has said that the version of The Riddler that Paul Dano is playing in The Batman is one no one has ever seen before. Dano was cast in Reeves' movie late last year, with the director announcing that he'd be playing Edward Nashton, a version of the classic Batman villain, alongside Colin Farrell's Penguin and John Turturro's Carmine Falcone as the bad guys of the piece. Dano will be the latest on-screen version of the character, following up Jim Carrey's over-the-top performance in Batman Forever.

Dano, of course, is a far more serious and traditionally dramatic actor than Carrey was, and the expectation is that he will play a much darker and more intense version of The Riddler. The actor recently shared that Reeves' -script for The Batman is powerful, adding that the movie is something the cast and crew are desperate to share with fans on the big screen. Despite only having shot just a quarter of the movie before the coronavirus shutdown, Reeves shared a trailer for The Batman today, showing that Dano's Riddler will be the main villain in the movie.

Reeves shared the trailer at DC FanDome, where he was also praised Dano's performance. Calling him a "creative actor" and adding that the performance he's given in just the first 25% of shooting so far is going to "blow people's minds." Reeves also said that the version of the character that he's playing is one that no one has ever seen before.

It's no surprise that Dano has gotten so such praise from Reeves. The actor has produced a series of convincing and intense performances in a number of movies throughout his career. From Paul Thomas Anderson's There Will Be Blood to the mentally challenged Jay in Denis Villeneuve's Prisoners, and even in Ben Stiller's true-life drama Escape at Dannemora, Dano is always a commanding presence on screen.

So it's exciting to hear Reeves gush about him, especially in light of the teaser trailer that was shown at the event, which makes it clear that Dano's Riddler will be a major part of the story. The few glimpses we get of his character in the footage, rolling out duct tape to place over the face of a murder victim, show him in uncharacteristically dark and dingy clothes, wearing glasses.

Based on his look alone, this will be a very different version of The Riddler. His voice, too, sounds muffled, reminiscent of Tom Hardy's Bane in The Dark Knight Rises. Just those that little glimpse, and the eerie sound of his vocal performance, make it seem like Dano is going to make for a villain worthy of The Batman. Now, hopefully the production can resume so that the movie arrives on time, and audiences are able to dig deeper into this version of the villain.

11 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Joker Gangs? 

Joker himself doesn't appear to be in the credits so presumably he won't make for a fourth villain, or fifth if Catwoman ends up counting for that.

Batman Begins villains -- R'as Al Ghul, Scarecrow, Falcone.  Three total.

Dark Knight villains -- Scarecrow, Two-Face, Joker, Maroni.  Four total.

Dark Knight Rises villains -- Bane, Talia al Ghul, Daggett, Catwoman.  Three total, or four if you prefer to count Catwoman as a villain, and that's the same we see for this film in the trailer.

So yes, you can definitely have too many villains if you overuse them.  All I can tell from the trailer is that Riddler appears to be the most significant villain.  They may just be using Falcone, Penguin, and perhaps even Catwoman as minor roles along the lines of the minor role played by Falcone in Begins, Scarecrow and Maroni in Dark Knight, or Daggett and Talia al Ghul in Rises.

The main reason that Batman can stand to have more villains than most superhero films is that none of his rogues have powers so they can play relatively subtle roles and don't necessarily demand a ton of screen time.

Edited by fantastic_four