• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

Barry Keoghan, star of Dunkirk and The Eternals, has shared a new photo from behind the scenes of The Batman, Matt Reeves' upcoming reboot of the Batman franchise, in which the actor is playing a Gotham City cop. This is the first fans have seen Keoghan on the set, although his casting was revealed by an official synopsis of the film released at DC FanDome, where the trailer came with the synopsis attached to its YouTube link. Fans have wondered since what role GCPD officer Stanley Merkel will play in the film.

Originally created by Frank Miller in The Dark Knight Returns, Merkel later joined DC's official canon as a partner to James Gordon before the latter became commissioner of the GCPD. He was the rare honest cop in Gotham and, in Batman: Dark Victory, he became one of The Hangman's victims.

Merkel's involvement with Dark Victory is particularly notable since it has long been rumored that elements of Batman: The Long Halloween would influence The Batman. Dark Victory serves as the sequel to The Long Halloween in the comics, with both being written by Jeph Loeb and drawn by Tim Sale. In that story, a serial killer known as The Hangman targets a number of Gotham City cops.

Edited by Bosco685

New images from The Batman show off looks at Selina Kyle, The Riddler, Robert Pattinson's Batsuit, and the Batmobile. The Matt Reeves directed picture has faced numerous delays due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. The Batman was originally set for release this June before being pushed back into October. When Dune took its fall release date, The Batman made March 2022 its home. Production continued on the film into the early months of 2021 and details about its plot have been kept under wraps.

What little is known about the film is exciting - The Batman will feature a slew of villains, including Colin Farrell's Penguin, Paul Dano's Riddler, and Zoë Kravitz's Catwoman. The film will follow Pattinson's Bruce Wayne in his second year of crimefighting in Gotham, during which he is still getting used to balancing his vigilante life with his regular life. The Batman is set outside of the main DCEU timeline, meaning it won't have the constraints of fitting within that franchise and can be its own thing.

Batman_Calendar.thumb.jpg.b0c1bee9cc9b8fc66c62f98e5e673339.jpg

I’ve got high hopes for this one. This could work for me because I wanted something different than Nolan and Snyder. Nolan is still the bar with a real world hero while Snyder gave us the comic book hero. What no one has given us is the worlds greatest detective. The only negative I see is introducing too many characters that each deserve a solo shared story/spotlight with Batman. This one would have been fine with just Batman tracking The Riddler as a serial killer in a Gotham that’s portrayed well enough to be a main character.

This may be the first Batman movie I have not seen in the theatres (and yes, that includes Batman & Robin). I still can't take Pattinson seriously as Bruce Wayne/Batman based on the trailers - he just seems to be lacking the on screen charisma/it factor that Bale and Affleck have for an A-list super-hero role. 

Edited by kimik