• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

What DC/WB really should do is evaluate who the fans respect and who has produced what the fans have wanted. Then they should put those folks in charge of everything else.

Geoff is a good first pick, but there are definitely others that should be in the loop (Dini and Timm are two for certain).

This opinion does make a lot of sense.

For some reason, I thought they had Nolan guiding the early DCEU development, as he was the co-writer and producer for Man of Steel. Snyder even had to convince Christopher Nolan to include the neck snap scene. Afterwards, he was noted as Executive Producer for 'Batman v Superman' which is so distant from tactical filming not sure how much direct influence he has.

I wonder if Warner Bros. would have been better off keeping the Nolan brothers more heavily involved after the success of their Batman trilogy?

I wonder if Warner Bros. would have been better off keeping the Nolan brothers more heavily involved after the success of their Batman trilogy?

Not like they had a choice since Nolan didn't want the job. I'm sure the only reason he agreed to produce Man of Steel was to keep Warner Brother happy enough to keep funding his very expensive projects.

Not like they had a choice since Nolan didn't want the job. I'm sure the only reason he agreed to produce Man of Steel was to keep Warner Brother happy enough to keep funding his very expensive projects.

I recall reading the same sentiment....Nolan pretty much mess on the whole DCEU.

He wanted to keep his trilogy separate and distinct.

Well, it's not like we DON'T have a reason to be concerned. I liked some aspects of BvS, liked SS a bit more.....but neither blew me away.

I've been waiting most of my life for these characters to be realized on screen in the way that DC and Marvel have attempted to do. So far, Marvel has faired better.....and I'm not really one of those Marvel fanboys.

DC has been floundering and has had many birth pains regarding these movies IMO...

It's all a matter of perspective. People can spend the next 10 months worrying that Synder has messed up Justice League based on some internet rumours and because they weren't a fan of BvS if they wish to do so. Or people can save their concern until they're half way through the movie and think "My God, this is awful". To me, the latter makes more sense. Of course, I expect to like Justice League because I liked BvS despite having the whole world telling me it was awful.

It's all a matter of perspective. People can spend the next 10 months worrying that Synder has messed up Justice League based on some internet rumours and because they weren't a fan of BvS if they wish to do so. Or people can save their concern until they're half way through the movie and think "My God, this is awful". To me, the latter makes more sense. Of course, I expect to like Justice League because I liked BvS despite having the whole world telling me it was awful.

Let them eat cake!

OxNPtvP.jpg

Ooops! Wrong movie.

xfxTInu.jpg

Yeah!

:sumo:

The largest issue DC is facing right now is they have not build up any good will, and many people are viewing the next movies with trepidation and not excitement. Like them or not when Marvel does a movie right now we expect it to be good and are disappointed if it is not, but even if it is so so we will give them a pass because of the strong showings so far. With DC it is exactly the opposite. We have low expectations now, we keep hoping they can right things. So any bad news (even possibly fake) makes us more worried. So we view the movies with worry not excitement.

DC needs to earn back the trust of the general movie public. Just look how the trailers are received. When a Marvel trailer is shown, you can hear the excitement, claps, and even some cheers in the theatre. DC trailers from what I have seen get little to no reactions.

Edited by drotto

The largest issue DC is facing right now is they have not build up any good will, and many people are viewing the next movies with trepidation and not excitement. Like them or not when Marvel does a movie right now we expect it to be good and are disappointed if it is not, but even if it is so so we will give them a pass because of the strong showings so far. With DC it is exactly the opposite. We have low expectations now, we keep hoping they can right things. So any bad news (even possibly fake) makes us more worried. So we view the movies with worry not excitement.

DC needs to earn back the trust of the general movie public. Just look how the trailers are received. When a Marvel trailer is shown, you can hear the excitement, claps, and even some cheers in the theatre. DC trailers from what I have seen get little to no reactions.

well said, and right on the money.

It's okay to not like something. You don't have to be forced to enjoy movies you see as not working. But better to stick with that statement, than to detract from your stance by making up facts.

Wonder Woman Was Most-Discussed Trailer On Twitter During Comic-Con

San Diego Comic-Con was just as packed with new trailers as year's past, but none of them held a candle to Wonder Woman.

It wasn't for any lack of competition either. Alongside Wonder Woman, Warner Bros. also released new trailers for Suicide Squad and their upcoming Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them. Kong: Skull Island made a big debut, and Marvel dropped a new Doctor Strange trailer as well as a Comic-Con only tease for Guardian's of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

'Justice League' and 'Wonder Woman' wow crowds at Comic Con

At the annual San Diego Comic Convention, movie trailers for the next generation of super hero movies debuted, sending the Internet into paroxysms of comic fan ecstasy.

"Wonder Woman" and "The Justice League"—the brainchildren of DC Comics' fledgling entertainment division—dazzled audiences and reportedly drew standing ovations at SDCC panel discussions.

And even the reaction to Batman v Superman's first teaser demonstrated how fired up people were to see this movie - and more.

And the later trailer.

BUSINESS INSIDER: Here's the new 'Batman v Superman' trailer that just got a standing ovation at Comic-Con

well said, and right on the money.

If 'right on the money' meant something else - you would probably be right on the money.

:baiting:

Agree to a certain extent. If Wonder Woman is a hit that will help to change perspectives. I think Suicide Squad's popularity at the box office and with the 12 - 25 crowd did that a bit already for DC.

That being said, I think there is a general malaise towards comic movies now. Both BvS and Civil War failed to live up to the hype/expectations (although Civil War did way better at the box office). Unless it is something different/new and exciting the responses are primarily meh from non-comic fanboy friends/co-workers. Noone I have talked to at work that saw Dr. Strange said it was great or awesome. The responses are the same - it was nice to see something slightly different from Marvel but it was just okay. Otherwise, it just followed the same formula as their past movies.

That being said, GotG 2 and Wonder Woman have a lot of non-comic people interested at work which is nice to see.

WRT excitement at trailers.....not in any theatres I have been two over the past two years. The gushing over comic movie trailers has waned locally. At Rogue One over the holidays, the Transformers trailer is the only one that had a couple of fanboys clapping or oohing and aaahing over.

There will be a time when comic book movies fade or go on hiatus for a bit (say 10 to 15 years). I think this is going to hit after Avengers Infinity Wars, and they are forced to start retiring some of the initial stars and characters. We are heading for a rough time, but it will not fully hit yet. Unfortunately, for DC that time could hit just as they get rolling.

There will be a time when comic book movies fade or go on hiatus for a bit (say 10 to 15 years). I think this is going to hit after Avengers Infinity Wars, and they are forced to start retiring some of the initial stars and characters. We are heading for a rough time, but it will not fully hit yet. Unfortunately, for DC that time could hit just as they get rolling.

Do you mean on these boards - which seems to be more Marvel-targeted - or in general? Because in general, as I pointed out yesterday you were incorrect.

Not to say Warner Bros. isn't messing itself up some with theater releases (editing issues, extended cuts rather than a tighter -script). But attention paid to their trailers is happening.

Do you mean on these boards - which seems to be more Marvel-targeted - or in general? Because in general, as I pointed out yesterday you were incorrect.

Not to say Warner Bros. isn't messing itself up some with theater releases (editing issues, extended cuts rather than a tighter -script). But attention paid to their trailers is happening.

I think it is going to hit all comic movies. Unfortunately for DC, they are later to the game, and even if they manage the get things right, they are going to get hit with the comic movie "recession ". Marvel will get hit also, but overall it will hurt Disney much less because they have made so much cash already.

For the record, I liked SS despite having many weaknesses. I am looking forward to WW the most out of all the announced DC stuff at this point. For me the JL trailer fell very flat, and I am concerned about the movie. I think that is mainly because of my dislike of Superman, BvS, and having lost trust in Snyder.

Edited by drotto

I think it is going to hit all comic movies. Unfortunately for DC, they are later to the game, and even if they manage the get things right, they are going to get hit with the comic movie "recession ". Marvel will get hit also, but overall it will hurt Disney much less because they have made so much cash already.

For the record, I liked SS despite having many weaknesses. I am looking forward to WW the most out of all the announced DC stuff at this point. For me the JL trailer fell very flat, and I am concerned about the movie. I think that is mainly because of my dislike of Superman, BvS, and having lost trust in Snyder.

on the money again!

It is already hitting mainstream super-hero comic movies, even the Marvel ones as they are too formulaic. Avengers 3, err Civil War, could not even top the turd that AoU was at the box office as a result. I think the Marvel superhero cinematic universe will see a significant hit when RDJ steps down as Iron Man. He is still the straw that stirs their entire hero franchise's drink.

SS and GotG did better than expected at the box office because they offered something different. This will only last for so long as well once the initial wow factor wears off.

That being said, the studios will keep churning them out because even when they wane in popularity, superhero films will still generate a large enough ROI to continue production. Transformers is in a similar position - the movies are bad but generate a nice return no matter what.

Right now DC is where Marvel was at in the early stages of their new cinematic universe. Basically, they are waiting for their "Iron Man" to emerge. Wonder Woman could be the hit this spring they are looking for on the super-hero side, which would be a nice follow up on the success of SS. I think that JL will be better than expected, but there will be apprehension leading into it since it is still a Snyder flick. I am looking forward more to the DC movies than Marvel movies at this point because they are still in the early stages of building their cinematic universe. It is similar to the pre-Avengers Marvel movie slate - the fun is in the set up.

Edited by kimik

Now we are in synch versus stating DC trailers fall flat with little to no reaction. TIMING is what you really meant, which is a relaunch at a peak time in superhero productions. So after a while the market could get numb to anything that hints at a cape, shield, superpowers, etc.

The JL trailer actually was energizing once you saw the comedy on display, which is what set off the excitement at the comic-con and beyond. But if anything with Snyder going forward distracts you, that can be a tough hurdle to overcome. Especially if he has lost your trust.

Agree to a certain extent. If Wonder Woman is a hit that will help to change perspectives. I think Suicide Squad's popularity at the box office and with the 12 - 25 crowd did that a bit already for DC.

That being said, I think there is a general malaise towards comic movies now. Both BvS and Civil War failed to live up to the hype/expectations (although Civil War did way better at the box office). Unless it is something different/new and exciting the responses are primarily meh from non-comic fanboy friends/co-workers. Noone I have talked to at work that saw Dr. Strange said it was great or awesome. The responses are the same - it was nice to see something slightly different from Marvel but it was just okay. Otherwise, it just followed the same formula as their past movies.

That being said, GotG 2 and Wonder Woman have a lot of non-comic people interested at work which is nice to see.

WRT excitement at trailers.....not in any theatres I have been two over the past two years. The gushing over comic movie trailers has waned locally. At Rogue One over the holidays, the Transformers trailer is the only one that had a couple of fanboys clapping or oohing and aaahing over.

C'mon, Civil War exceeded everyone's expectations, especially at the Box Office ($1.15B WW) & 90% RT.

BvS failed to hit $1 Billion at the Box Office (currently 7th) & 27% RT.

Who would have predicted that CAP3 would win the 2016 WW Box Office crown.

C'mon, Civil War exceeded everyone's expectations, especially at the Box Office ($1.15B WW) & 90% RT.

BvS failed to hit $1 Billion at the Box Office (currently 7th) & 27% RT.

Who would have predicted that CAP3 would win the 2016 WW Box Office crown.

Even being Avengers 2.5, it still failed to exceed previous Marvel big team releases, along with Iron Man 3. And this had all of the big heavy-hitters available at the time OTHER THAN HULK & THOR (which became a running gag where they were and Team Thor).

Justice League will be telling, as that is the actual team movie versus Batman v Superman, which had three of the characters. If anything, those three are what drove the movie to exceed $800MM, even though the critics and partial movie-goer responses.

Edited by Bosco685