• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

I think what we're seeing are the effects of changes that WB has done in the last couple of months. with them making DC Films, changing course from what Synder, Goyer & co, plan out and the fill of how each movie is going to be different but still feel the same. or it could be the middle people between Kevin Tsujihara and DC Films (Geoff Johns & Jon Berg) or it could be between both Johns and Berg. where johns can see a storyline that can tie each film at the same time even each director freedom.

let's say everything else on the Batman is in the final concept phase with them waiting for Affleck to give his final draft of the movie and finding a director before March. then depending on the director we could start hearing casting on the movie and an official announcement in March with early April filming and could have the movie out next year with maybe taking Flash release date.

I think what we're seeing are the effects of changes that WB has done in the last couple of months. with them making DC Films, changing course from what Synder, Goyer & co, plan out and the fill of how each movie is going to be different but still feel the same. or it could be the middle people between Kevin Tsujihara and DC Films (Geoff Johns & Jon Berg) or it could be between both Johns and Berg. where johns can see a storyline that can tie each film at the same time even each director freedom.

let's say everything else on the Batman is in the final concept phase with them waiting for Affleck to give his final draft of the movie and finding a director before March. then depending on the director we could start hearing casting on the movie and an official announcement in March with early April filming and could have the movie out next year with maybe taking Flash release date.

Without even a final -script at this point, Affleck likely wanting to take some time off and other commitments, and just everything that goes into making a $200 mil. movie, I just find it highly unlikely the movie is done in 18 months.

Add to that the pressure of making the movie good, and DC should be willing to get it right even if it takes more time then rushing anything. Affleck has also said they will not start till he thinks the -script is perfect. There is no indication the writing is anything near that yet. The only thing we know is there is some sort of draft that has had a pass by a -script doctor over the last few weeks.

Edited by drotto

Without even a final -script at this point, Affleck likely wanting to take some time off and other commitments, and just everything that goes into making a $200 mil. movie, I just find it highly unlikely the movie is done in 18 months.

Add to that the pressure of making the movie good, and DC should be willing to get it right even if it takes more time then rushing anything. Affleck has also said they will not start till he thinks the -script is perfect. There is no indication the writing is anything near that yet. The only thing we know is there is some sort of draft that has had a pass by a -script doctor over the last few weeks.

it's all speculation but isn't this a possible cause for him leaving the director's chair? WB said 'let's go', Ben says 'the -script isn't ready'. WB says 'we're going anyway'. Ben says 'not with me directing'

Edited by paperheart

it's all speculation but isn't this a possible cause for him leaving the director's chair? WB said 'let's go', Ben says 'the -script isn't ready'. WB says 'we're going anyway'. Ben says 'not with me directing'

Yes speculation, but seems very plausible. By now searching for a new director, that director settling in and getting up to speed, and that director setting up and story-boarding their vision for the movie, Ben could have bought himself several months minimum.

Two thoughts:

1) I'm inclined to believe the rumors that JLA is mediocre.

Proof point? Last I checked, The Flash is on indefinite hiatus, with two directors having dropped out. A 2018 release date? Puh-leeze. IMDB notes only four castmembers so far and that a new screenwriter is doing a "page one re-write."

How does this relate to Justice League? It demonstrates the lack of a real plan for the universe.

At least Channing Tatum had the balls to walk away from Gambit until there's a suitable -script.

2) Speaking of...I'm still confused how Affleck could be dissatisfied with the -script when he was the first screenwriter on it. Keep in mind that Affleck (technically) won his first Oscar for screenwriting back in the 90s.

Sure...rumors are he passed it to Geoff Johns, and then Chris Terrio was brought in to scrub it.

But "not satisfied with the -script" doesn't jive with me when you yourself -- an Oscar-winning screenwriter who is no stranger to superhero movies -- had first crack at said -script.

But "not satisfied with the -script" doesn't jive with me when you yourself -- an Oscar-winning screenwriter who is no stranger to superhero movies -- had first crack at said -script.

Authors are usually the person the least satisfied with any work they produce. For an author to then lose control of that work I'm sure it's even worse. This just looks like a nightmare for Affleck he wishes he could wake up from that started in his mind the week BvS was released and the reviews were in the crapper. :ohnoez:

I read something the other night that Affleck noted he may be at odds with Warner Bros. over direction because he wants his Batman to be blind - and wear a leather suit - and instead of a utility belt he will have a cane. It must be true. I read it on the internet.

I read something the other night that Affleck noted he may be at odds with Warner Bros. over direction because he wants his Batman to be blind - and wear a leather suit - and instead of a utility belt he will have a cane. It must be true. I read it on the internet.

You're right Bosco...much on the internet is just that...absurd and untrue.

That being said, many of the rumors prior to BvS WERE true......including ultimately how different their (WB/DC) vision was from practically everyone else anticipating the movie.

Plotlines, the inclusion of Doomsday, Wonder Woman......speculation about Darkseid's influence...

I think the only rumor that was scathingly wrong was the inclusion of GL as a pilot in the battle with Doomsday.....

That one and the one where Scoot McNairy was the Flash or had robotic legs.

I think Ben saw a chance to be the equivalent to what Robert Downey Jr. is in the Marvel cinematic universe, but instead found himself as captain of the DC Titanic. I'm sure he wants to distance himself from this mess now..

I hear he's working on a sequel to Gigli.

I think Ben saw a chance to be the equivalent to what Robert Downey Jr. is in the Marvel cinematic universe, but instead found himself as captain of the DC Titanic. I'm sure he wants to distance himself from this mess now..

y'all don't seem to realize that the people you're point-counterpointing with on this stuff DON'T think any kind of mess exists. one rated the "ultimate" b v. s at 9.0 on a 10 point scale. he left a single point in there for the godfathers, etc. to reside.

y'all don't seem to realize that the people you're point-counterpointing with on this stuff DON'T think any kind of mess exists. one rated the "ultimate" b v. s at 9.0 on a 10 point scale. he left a single point in there for the godfathers, etc. to reside.

lol

Fans are certainly free to live in a world separate from critical acclaim if they want, but Ben Affleck clearly doesn't live in that world so that's what matters within the context of guessing what he's thinking with future DC projects. He specifically said that the reason he took on Batman was for redemption for Daredevil's poor reception, so the fact that the critics slammed BvS even harder than they did Daredevil means we definitely do have a sad Affleck. :blush:

I say this as a fan of that Daredevil movie, so I certainly get being a fanboy. It isn't that I think the film was all that magnificent, it was just magnificent to me because as a huge Daredevil fan I was thrilled to see him debuting on the big screen. And I still find large parts of it to be an entertaining watch despite all the issues it has. And of all the issues the film has Ben Affleck's performance wasn't anywhere near the top of that list, so as was the case in BvS, he doesn't have much to feel guilty about. He did fine in both roles.

I mean, while I agree that Batman Vs. Superman was only just an above average movie, I did like Suicide Squad.

And, while, compared to the hype these movies got, they were disappointments to me.

They were hugely successful films. In any other genre we would be talking about the next mega franchise.

Nothing you read on the internet is a fact unless it's a fact. The facts are that Suicide Squad and Batman Superman were hugely successful movies. Man of Steel was a success as well by Hollywood standards

Wonder Woman is the next film in that mega successful franchise and it will also be successful most likely. There is NO reason to think otherwise at this point.

As far as Affleck, he is coming off Live By Night, which was a huge commercial failure. I don't have his whole filmography in front of me but would imagine that Batman Vs. Superman and Suicide Squad were more successful commercially than anything he has done for a long time. Those kinds of successes keep allowing him to make movies like Live By Night and The Town and Argo etc. etc.

He would kind of be foolish to jump off that train. Right?

Edited by drakesfuture

The facts are that Suicide Squad and Batman Superman were hugely successful movies.

Not by Ben Affleck's standards. He said for years he was proud of Daredevil and loved being in it, but now years later he's been more candid about his regret about the film's critical reception. As long as he's in these DC films we won't hear his real thoughts, but he clearly works for critical acclaim. He's said it repeatedly and exhibited he has a talent for it with his films from the past decade.

The facts are that Suicide Squad and Batman Superman were hugely successful movies.

Not by Ben Affleck's standards. He said for years he was proud of Daredevil and loved being in it, but now years later he's been more candid about his regret about the film's critical reception. As long as he's in these DC films we won't hear his real thoughts, but he clearly works for critical acclaim. He's said it repeatedly and exhibited he has a talent for it with his films from the past decade.

I get that. That was my point...that being in mega movies like Batman V. Superman gives him the freedom within Hollywood to also be involved in the critical darling movies he enjoys making that might not be as big a hit financially.

I obviously don't have any inside information here AT ALL but I do know, as we all do, that being involved in big time financial winners gives people in Hollywood a greater ability to be involved in other projects of their choosing. Money is power in that way.

As an aside, I think we have become kind of an echo chamber on this site on this issue. Yes, BvS and Suicide Squad were not as good as we would have wanted (although I still gave them both above C grades) so we bounce those opinions back and forth on this site and we begin to create an illusion of the horribleness of those movies that doesn't meet reality. They were still decent movies and they were enormously successful. Lets not lose site of that in our haste to badmouth them to like minded people.

Edited by drakesfuture

being in mega movies like Batman V. Superman gives him the freedom within Hollywood to also be involved in the critical darling movies he enjoys making that might not be as big a hit financially.

He doesn't need BvS for that. He's gotten virtually every major studio to bankroll one of his films at some point. Warner Brothers is lucky to have him, not the opposite. Although they might be re-thinking that after they bankrolled "Live By Night" and it just bombed at the box office. :eek:

I'm sure the money is nice, but Ben Affleck has always been a comics fanboy like us. It's clear that part of his motivation is that he just likes superheroes and likes the idea of being a part of the heroes he grew up loving.

We should run those people out of the hobby. How dare anyone say BvS was a good movie..

(:

Meanwhile, before the Ultimate Cut even hit the market - which is a much better edited movie - there were quite a few forumites that gave this an 8.0 or better.

aprWvVB.jpg

Most of them gave up on debating the point because whatever needed to be covered from their viewpoint was posted.

He doesn't need BvS for that. He's gotten virtually every major studio to bankroll one of his films at some point. Warner Brothers is lucky to have him, not the opposite. Although they might be re-thinking that after they bankrolled "Live By Night" and it just bombed at the box office. :eek:

I'm sure the money is nice, but Ben Affleck has always been a comics fanboy like us. It's clear that part of his motivation is that he just likes superheroes and likes the idea of being a part of the heroes he grew up loving.

Going back to 2012, Warner Bros. wanted to get him to direct Justice League. Though it wasn't clear at the time Batman was also a role they wanted him in. I think that would have been a huge leap forward throwing him into a massive team movie like that.

being in mega movies like Batman V. Superman gives him the freedom within Hollywood to also be involved in the critical darling movies he enjoys making that might not be as big a hit financially.

The whole Ben out as Director was likely wanted by both sides based on one simple thing - his track record in that role.

According to IMDB, he has been Director of 7 productions:

2018 Witness for the Prosecution (announced)

2016 Live by Night (directed by) - a whopping $19M worldwide so far :tonofbricks:

2012 Argo - a whopping $232M worldwide but critically acclaimed

2010 The Town - a whopping $154M wordlwide

2008 Gimme Shelter (Video short)

2007 Gone Baby Gone - a whopping $34M worldwide

1993 I Killed My Lesbian Wife, Hung Her on a Meathook, and Now I Have a Three Picture Deal at Disney (Short)

The fact is, his track record as a Director (and even a Producer) is spotty when it comes to box office successes. His best successes were basically with Horror franchise film budgets for Horror franchise films returns. hm

While I think he is a great actor, if I were bankrolling a film I would think twice about him as a Director.