• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

I think Ben saw a chance to be the equivalent to what Robert Downey Jr. is in the Marvel cinematic universe, but instead found himself as captain of the DC Titanic. I'm sure he wants to distance himself from this mess now..

y'all don't seem to realize that the people you're point-counterpointing with on this stuff DON'T think any kind of mess exists. one rated the "ultimate" b v. s at 9.0 on a 10 point scale. he left a single point in there for the godfathers, etc. to reside.

We should run those people out of the hobby. How dare anyone say BvS was a good movie..

(:

If you are not a Marvel fanboy that hates all DC movies then your opinion does not count. lol

That was my point...that being in mega movies like Batman V. Superman gives him the freedom within Hollywood to also be involved in the critical darling movies he enjoys making that might not be as big a hit financially.

See...here's where I think Affleck doesn't need Batman nearly as much you would think.

And it depends on how you define "big hit financially."

Argo grossed more than 5x its budget worldwide.

Gone Girl grossed more than 6x its budget worldwide.

And each of these were critical darlings -- and rightfully so.

Batman v. Superman grossed less than 3.5x its budget worldwide.

being in mega movies like Batman V. Superman gives him the freedom within Hollywood to also be involved in the critical darling movies he enjoys making that might not be as big a hit financially.

He doesn't need BvS for that. He's gotten virtually every major studio to bankroll one of his films at some point. Warner Brothers is lucky to have him, not the opposite. Although they might be re-thinking that after they bankrolled "Live By Night" and it just bombed at the box office. :eek:

The whole Ben out as Director was likely wanted by both sides based on one simple thing - his track record in that role.

According to IMDB, he has been Director of 7 productions:

2018 Witness for the Prosecution (announced)

2016 Live by Night (directed by) - a whopping $19M worldwide so far :tonofbricks:

2012 Argo - a whopping $232M worldwide but critically acclaimed

2010 The Town - a whopping $154M wordlwide

2008 Gimme Shelter (Video short)

2007 Gone Baby Gone - a whopping $34M worldwide

1993 I Killed My Lesbian Wife, Hung Her on a Meathook, and Now I Have a Three Picture Deal at Disney (Short)

The fact is, his track record as a Director (and even a Producer) is spotty when it comes to box office successes. His best successes were basically with Horror franchise film budgets for Horror franchise films returns. hm

While I think he is a great actor, if I were bankrolling a film I would think twice about him as a Director.

hm

I would think his brief track record is pretty impressive when you consider 3 out of his 4 full length films have been well received by critics and financially prudent. But if you are the type that just wants box office receipts than Michael Bay is always available. I honestly believe Ben thought he could do something with Batman that was both financially successful and critically acclaimed. As it be, he may have already seen the writing on the wall when it comes to the acclaim...

i'll admit it: my post trolled for replies from bosco, kimik and rjrjr. i only hit my mark on two of them--i'm hoping either that kimik and rjrjr are the same person and felt one post was enough, or that the latter is at work and hasn't been able to yet post.

i'll admit it: my post trolled for replies from bosco, kimik and rjrjr. i only hit my mark on two of them--i'm hoping either that kimik and rjrjr are the same person and felt one post was enough, or that the latter is at work and hasn't been able to yet post.

It was clear what you were doing. Yes, I have The Ultimate Cut a 9.0 because it is so much better than the Theatrical Cut's jerking editing.

Glad I was able to satisfying your trolling needs.

;)

being in mega movies like Batman V. Superman gives him the freedom within Hollywood to also be involved in the critical darling movies he enjoys making that might not be as big a hit financially.

He doesn't need BvS for that. He's gotten virtually every major studio to bankroll one of his films at some point. Warner Brothers is lucky to have him, not the opposite. Although they might be re-thinking that after they bankrolled "Live By Night" and it just bombed at the box office. :eek:

The whole Ben out as Director was likely wanted by both sides based on one simple thing - his track record in that role.

2016 Live by Night (directed by) - a whopping $19M worldwide so far :tonofbricks:

1993 I Killed My Lesbian Wife, Hung Her on a Meathook, and Now I Have a Three Picture Deal at Disney (Short)

The fact is, his track record as a Director (and even a Producer) is spotty when it comes to box office successes. His best successes were basically with Horror franchise film budgets for Horror franchise films returns. hm

While I think he is a great actor, if I were bankrolling a film I would think twice about him as a Director.

ridiculous argument in the extreme. Argo, The Town and Gone Baby Gone blow away anything non-Nolan that WB has vomited from the DCU onto the screen.

Prior to GOTG, James Gunn directed:

Super 328,0000 (that's $328 thousand dollars) WW BO

Slither 12.8MM WW BO

Edited by paperheart

It was clear what you were doing. Yes, I have The Ultimate Cut a 9.0 because it is so much better than the Theatrical Cut's jerking editing.

;)

bosco, know that i think your service on the movie thread is terrific, and i like your posts to the tune of about 90%. hell, hitting .300 over 15 years gets you in the hall of fame.

I agree, I love bosco's contributions to the movie threads. I am interested in his opinion on Godfather 1 and 2 though, if BvS gets a 9/10.

;)

bosco, know that i think your service on the movie thread is terrific, and i like your posts to the tune of about 90%. hell, hitting .300 over 15 years gets you in the hall of fame.

I agree, I love bosco's contributions to the movie threads. I am interested in his opinion on Godfather 1 and 2 though, if BvS gets a 9/10.

What is this Godfather 1 and 2 you speak of?

:grin:

+1

kimik & rjrjr

Same Schitt!

You had joked about trolling.I just went along with that statement to tease back like I knew you were with the Ultimate Cut 9.0 comment. No harm done to me, or offense taken. People can hate what they want - or like what they want.

But it's the same people that flock to the DC threads and post negative views more than once. Like it is a new realization. Not the 'Same Schitt' when they do it.

ridiculous argument in the extreme. Argo, The Town and Gone Baby Gone blow away anything non-Nolan that WB has vomited from the DCU onto the screen.

Prior to GOTG, James Gunn directed:

Super 328,0000 (that's $328 thousand dollars) WW BO

Slither 12.8MM WW BO

Like this little sweetheart.

:cloud9:

I was disappointed to see Affleck sign on these movies, myself.

I do enjoy watching a handful of these funnybook movies now, as the rest seem "the same" or downright awful.

But, I felt Affleck was starting to explore another facet of his career with directing.

I graded BvS, a rightfully deserved 3.0 (no change with the Ultimate Edition,) but I felt Affleck was surprisingly the strongest thing in it, with Gal Gadot a promising actress as well.

Truth is, I try to think of it as just a Batman movie and just fast forward the Eisenberg/Cavill parts the second time. At the the end of the day it was a popcorn film that didn't entertain me and only me. I don't think I'll ever watch it again on Blu, maybe on cable, who knows?

I think it's silly to take it too seriously anyway, with movies like King Kong '33, It Happened One Night, Jaws, All The President's Men, Frozen, 2001, The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, Fight Club, Apocalypse Now, etc out there.

On that note... all I can say I seriously hope Affleck's Batman is at least as entertaining as popcorn flicks like Speed, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Batman '89, Guardians of the Galaxy was in the past. (thumbs u

Oh boy. The doom and gloom is back! The end is nigh for the DCEU!

Just a few snippets...

I see lots of people trying to put a positive spin on the Affleck news, but you are not going to convince me that pulling out as director, saying he will only do it if the -script is 100%, and even some rumors that he may pull away from the role if things to not go well with Justice League, are just minor bumps...

It's just as well then we're not trying to convince you of anything and we're just messing with your head ;)

But these facts are being revealed at the same time that we're hearing "what a mess the JLA" movie is.

I just can't take rumors like that seriously more than 9 months before a film's release.

Aye!

...I'm inclined to believe the rumors that JLA is mediocre...

Of course you are. JLA could be the best thing since sliced penicillin and you'd still hate it :foryou:

Fans are certainly free to live in a world separate from critical acclaim if they want...

Yes... It's called free thinking :) It doesn't matter how much someone dislikes something, or how much evidence they have to show why something was bad, there will always be someone else with a different view...

I say this as a fan of that Daredevil movie...

...I rest my case. And dude, seriously...? ;)

Oh boy. The doom and gloom is back! The end is nigh for the DCEU!

Just a few snippets...

I see lots of people trying to put a positive spin on the Affleck news, but you are not going to convince me that pulling out as director, saying he will only do it if the -script is 100%, and even some rumors that he may pull away from the role if things to not go well with Justice League, are just minor bumps...

It's just as well then we're not trying to convince you of anything and we're just messing with your head ;)

But these facts are being revealed at the same time that we're hearing "what a mess the JLA" movie is.

I just can't take rumors like that seriously more than 9 months before a film's release.

Aye!

...I'm inclined to believe the rumors that JLA is mediocre...

Of course you are. JLA could be the best thing since sliced penicillin and you'd still hate it :foryou:

Fans are certainly free to live in a world separate from critical acclaim if they want...

Yes... It's called free thinking :) It doesn't matter how much someone dislikes something, or how much evidence they have to show why something was bad, there will always be someone else with a different view...

I say this as a fan of that Daredevil movie...

...I rest my case. And dude, seriously...? ;)

:o:o:o

(:

+1

kimik & rjrjr

Same Schitt!

No, but it looks like you and Straw-Man = same. lol

hm

I would think his brief track record is pretty impressive when you consider 3 out of his 4 full length films have been well received by critics and financially prudent. But if you are the type that just wants box office receipts than Michael Bay is always available. I honestly believe Ben thought he could do something with Batman that was both financially successful and critically acclaimed. As it be, he may have already seen the writing on the wall when it comes to the acclaim...

To be honest, I was not overly impressed with Argo relative to the hype it received before I saw it. It was a solid movie, but not significantly better than other historical pieces that I have enjoyed. When I looked at the BO results this morning for my post I was actually surprised it was that low - I thought it would have done way better at the BO based on the critical acclaim and hype it received.

Live By Night was his attempt at a more stylish thriller and it is performing miserably. I have not seen the film so I can't judge it, but I was expecting it to do way better based on the genre. I guess it must be that bad.

Being financially prudent is great, but I would argue that it is much easier to pull off a minimally CGId film focusing on human interaction than a huge summer blockbuster with multiple characters and layers as well as special effects/CGI. That is why Directors like James Cameron and Peter Jackson are interesting to me - they manage complex projects so well.