• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, kimik said:

If anything it would have been the box office numbers for Live By Night. lol

From other stuff I have read, alcohol and gambling have been issues for him for a while now. Likely the reason that Garner finally filed for divorce. In any case, looks like he may be starting to try to straigthen things out so good luck for him.

I also wish him the best of luck.  Whatever the final outcome, it does explain a lot about him seeming to flip flop about his commitment to the picture, and the apparent disconnect between him and WB on the film the last several months.  I am sure Live By Night did not help, but he has been very very busy the last two years.  Two full films as Batman, plus the cameo stuff in SS, plus Live By Night, and just other projects he has been working on.  That is enough to fall into old bad habits.  Add to that the pressure that WB was applying to get the Batman movie moving, and it was just too much. But just getting out of rehab is a very delicate time for people with these types of issues.  Finding a way to strike a balance between work and personal is difficult and could easily affect any of his projects over the next 1 to 2 years.

I don't think WB had anything to do with him drinking again. I think it's been all of the personal problems he's had last year with Garner and it didn't help that "live by night" wasn't receive better.

THE BATMAN Is Now Being Rewritten From Scratch; Will Deathstroke Be Dropped?

Slash Film has a slightly different take on the latter point as they've revealed that the screenplay for The Batman is now being rewritten completely from scratch as Matt Reeves looks to start over. 

"We can now report that there is more going behind-the-scenes as well. According to sources close to the production, the screenplay for The Batman is being rewritten from the ground up, so it’s entirely possible that everything we’ve heard about the film’s story will no longer be in play."

If this is down to Reeves coming in and wanting to put his own spin on things, that's no bad thing. However, if what little we know about the movie is being thrown out, that could mean we can forget about seeing Deathstroke. Camera tests have been done, but those were back when Affleck was at the helm, so the lesser known villain being replaced by a more familiar Batman rogue makes sense. 

8 minutes ago, drotto said:

And all those people still holding out hope this film would be ready by 2018 can say goodbye to that idea.  Thinking 50/50 for 2019 or 2020.

There's still a good chance it can be ready for mid - late 2018 if there are no more road blocks. I think 15 - 18 months is plenty of time. DC doesn't need to sit on the film for a year or so, like they did with BvS.

Who cares if it is released in 2018 or 2019? All I want is a quality Batman flick.

Oh yeah, if it features Batgirl and Poison Ivy as well that would be even better based on the books in my collection. lol 

DC is pretty much out of time to catch up to Marvel as BVS was supposed to be the movie to put them on the map. Rather than spend the last few years building a cohesive and mature movie universe, they've flip-flopped with every move they've put out except for the Batman / Nolan movies.

Even if they have a few blockbusters they are still a decade behind Marvel. Sad.

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

DC is pretty much out of time to catch up to Marvel as BVS was supposed to be the movie to put them on the map. Rather than spend the last few years building a cohesive and mature movie universe, they've flip-flopped with every move they've put out except for the Batman / Nolan movies.

Even if they have a few blockbusters they are still a decade behind Marvel. Sad.

I thought it was crazy that they didn't tie the Nolan trilogy into the DCEU. It would have been the perfect starting point & left little need for another solo Batman film till they brought the rest of the JLA to the big screen.

2 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

I thought it was crazy that they didn't tie the Nolan trilogy into the DCEU. It would have been the perfect starting point & left little need for another solo Batman film till they brought the rest of the JLA to the big screen.

They were for not tying the Nolan movies in and they're paying for it now.

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

They were for not tying the Nolan movies in and they're paying for it now.

Even if Christian Bale didn't want to get tied into another 3+ film contract, they could have at least gotten him to do a small part in 1 more film where he hands the Batman mantle down to the Robin they presented at the end of the trilogy. DC probably could have thrown RDJ money at Bale to stay on though.

3 hours ago, drotto said:

And all those people still holding out hope this film would be ready by 2018 can say goodbye to that idea.  Thinking 50/50 for 2019 or 2020.

That is why I think Man of Steel 2 now will become a big player with Batman in a creative mess. DC will turn to their other iconic hero Superman to save the day.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

I do not think anybody can really ever catch Marvel. They have been building their universe since 1961. Their universe is second to none,even Star Wars and Star Trek fall short compared to Marvel. Marvel just has an army of great characters that cannot be beat.Stan Lee and Jack Kirby were the Lennon and McCarthy of comics. 

Forget about DC trying to catch up with Marvel/Disney, they also have to worry about catching up with Fox who have taken the term "decidedly different" to a whole new level in just the last year.

I tried to like BVS but it was just so bad that I couldn't get through the whole movie in one sitting. If Ben Affleck wants to dress up as Batman he should do it drunk at parties, it'd be more entertaining I'm sure.

DC/Warner should just throw a mountain of money Nolan's and Bale's way and do Batman The Cult with no major villain, make it rated R and have something historic

Edited by Lonzilla

13 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

There's still a good chance it can be ready for mid - late 2018 if there are no more road blocks. I think 15 - 18 months is plenty of time. DC doesn't need to sit on the film for a year or so, like they did with BvS.

With WB current turnover rates for DCEU movies 15 to 18 months is not enough time.  Justice League has a release date of 11/17/17 and we know it started filming one week after BVS released which was 3/25/2016.  That means from production to post-production JL took 19 to 20 months.  You also have to consider that between -script writing and pre-production that was at least 6 to 7 more months of work that had already been completed, for a total of about 25 to 27 months to make JL. Wonder Woman started filming in 11/2015 and is releasing 6/2017, another roughly 18 month schedule for production and post-production, with again 6 months for -script and pre-production, meaning 2 years total to get the movie made. WW is also a better comparison to a solo Batman film, because it is another solo movie. BVS started filming in 2/2014 and was released 3/25/2016.  That is 25 months for production and post, bring the total time to make to roughly 30 to 31 months with writing and pre-production added. Suicide Squad started filming in 4/2015 and released 8/2016. so that is 16 months for production and post total time of 22 months. MOS started filming 11/2011 and released 6/2013, so again it took just over two years to make.

As is fairly clear, based on movies already made for the DCEU, WB has taken a minimum of 22 months to upwards of 2 1/2 years to make each of the films mentioned above. Based on the quality and reception of those films, I think WB is inclined to take it slow and get it right, rather than try and step up production time and push it out in 18 months let alone 15. For all of the DCEU movies, that 15 to 18 month timeframe only covers production and post, which would mean to hit the 2018 release goal the movie would need to be ready to film now. I think based on recent history a solo Batman movie would take 24 to 26 months to make from start to finish. So a May 2019 release date seems reasonable.

13 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

Maybe it's just me however I didn't get the "DCU" vibe from the Nolan trilogy. Those films portrayed Batman as "realistically" as possible. Some of the tech was a little sci-fi but all in all, it was just a man going up against the bad guys with some expensive gadgets. Super-powered beings would be out of place in that universe.

1 hour ago, drotto said:

With WB current turnover rates for DCEU movies 15 to 18 months is not enough time.  Justice League has a release date of 11/17/17 and we know it started filming one week after BVS released which was 3/25/2016.  That means from production to post-production JL took 19 to 20 months.  You also have to consider that between --script writing and pre-production that was at least 6 to 7 more months of work that had already been completed, for a total of about 25 to 27 months to make JL. Wonder Woman started filming in 11/2015 and is releasing 6/2017, another roughly 18 month schedule for production and post-production, with again 6 months for --script and pre-production, meaning 2 years total to get the movie made. WW is also a better comparison to a solo Batman film, because it is another solo movie. BVS started filming in 2/2014 and was released 3/25/2016.  That is 25 months for production and post, bring the total time to make to roughly 30 to 31 months with writing and pre-production added. Suicide Squad started filming in 4/2015 and released 8/2016. so that is 16 months for production and post total time of 22 months. MOS started filming 11/2011 and released 6/2013, so again it took just over two years to make.

As is fairly clear, based on movies already made for the DCEU, WB has taken a minimum of 22 months to upwards of 2 1/2 years to make each of the films mentioned above. Based on the quality and reception of those films, I think WB is inclined to take it slow and get it right, rather than try and step up production time and push it out in 18 months let alone 15. For all of the DCEU movies, that 15 to 18 month timeframe only covers production and post, which would mean to hit the 2018 release goal the movie would need to be ready to film now. I think based on recent history a solo Batman movie would take 24 to 26 months to make from start to finish. So a May 2019 release date seems reasonable.

Especially with Batman as he is their bread and butter iconic character. They want to be extra careful that the next Batman film doesn't  get savaged by the critics.

3 hours ago, drotto said:

With WB current turnover rates for DCEU movies 15 to 18 months is not enough time.  Justice League has a release date of 11/17/17 and we know it started filming one week after BVS released which was 3/25/2016.  That means from production to post-production JL took 19 to 20 months.  You also have to consider that between ----script writing and pre-production that was at least 6 to 7 more months of work that had already been completed, for a total of about 25 to 27 months to make JL. Wonder Woman started filming in 11/2015 and is releasing 6/2017, another roughly 18 month schedule for production and post-production, with again 6 months for ----script and pre-production, meaning 2 years total to get the movie made. WW is also a better comparison to a solo Batman film, because it is another solo movie. BVS started filming in 2/2014 and was released 3/25/2016.  That is 25 months for production and post, bring the total time to make to roughly 30 to 31 months with writing and pre-production added. Suicide Squad started filming in 4/2015 and released 8/2016. so that is 16 months for production and post total time of 22 months. MOS started filming 11/2011 and released 6/2013, so again it took just over two years to make.

You make it sound like production on DCEU films were complete the day they hit the cinema. JLA has been completed for a while now. I believe production began 4/11/2016 & ended 10/14/2016, which is 6 months. From your statement, even with Affleck's -script & production starting today, the earliest release would have been April 2019.

Edited by chezmtghut

2 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

You make it sound like production on DCEU films were complete the day they hit the cinema. JLA has been completed for a while now. I believe production began 4/11/2016 & ended 10/14/2016, which is 6 months. From your statement, even with Affleck's --script & production starting today, the earliest release would have been April 2019.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/15/report-batman-filming-release-pushed-back-due-scheduling-conflicts-not-ben-afflecks-alcohol-struggles/

So reports are suggesting that principle filming should start early 2018, which would put release in the summer 2019 season.

My numbers are not going from the production start, but rather from as fresh start as it was just released that the -script is receiving a page one rewrite. As for movie production, most sources I have found state that a -script will typically take 1 to 2 months, pre-production 4 to 6 months, filming 1 to 6 months, and post production 4 to 8 months.  All of these have wide variation depending on the complexity of the film, number of locations, amount of sets, locations, amount of stunts, and amount of CGI, being the biggest factors.  All of which could push these number higher, especially if there are issues. This gives a wide range of movies taking from as short as 8 months to as long as about 2 years. Simpler independent films with small budgets, tend to have much shorter schedules and can be as short as 8 to 10 months to complete.  These big budget movies are complex to make requiring a lot of people, resources, construction, design, CGI etc. I am not assuming that any of these movies are finished 48 hrs. before they are released, but they generally will not sit on a shelf idol for six months either.  All the DCEU movies I listed show a trend that these movies are taking WB roughly 2 years or slightly more from starting the -script to actual release. I do not see why Batman would be any different, especially with the added pressure on this film to get it right.