BATMAN starring directed/produced by Matt Reeves (2018)
6 6

1,091 posts in this topic

2,597 posts
4 hours ago, drotto said:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/15/report-batman-filming-release-pushed-back-due-scheduling-conflicts-not-ben-afflecks-alcohol-struggles/

 

So reports are suggesting that principle filming should start early 2018, which would put release in the summer 2019 season.

 

My numbers are not going from the production start, but rather from as fresh start as it was just released that the ---script is receiving a page one rewrite. As for movie production, most sources I have found state that a ---script will typically take 1 to 2 months, pre-production 4 to 6 months, filming 1 to 6 months, and post production 4 to 8 months.  All of these have wide variation depending on the complexity of the film, number of locations, amount of sets, locations, amount of stunts, and amount of CGI, being the biggest factors.  All of which could push these number higher, especially if there are issues. This gives a wide range of movies taking from as short as 8 months to as long as about 2 years. Simpler independent films with small budgets, tend to have much shorter schedules and can be as short as 8 to 10 months to complete.  These big budget movies are complex to make requiring a lot of people, resources, construction, design, CGI etc. I am not assuming that any of these movies are finished 48 hrs. before they are released, but they generally will not sit on a shelf idol for six months either.  All the DCEU movies I listed show a trend that these movies are taking WB roughly 2 years or slightly more from starting the ---script to actual release. I do not see why Batman would be any different, especially with the added pressure on this film to get it right.

I believe production on BvS was complete Dec 2014, so they did actually sit on it for 15 months before it was released. Most of these movies are complete about 6 months before their release.

Edited by chezmtghut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
82,956 posts

Sounds like they picked the right man for the job.

Matt Reeves Talks About His Childhood Batman Obsession

Quote

Reeves say that, along with Planet of the Apes, Batman was one of his biggest fan loves when he was young.

 

It’s a strange thing to be involved in the two franchises which were the two that I was connected to most as a child,” Reeves tells Daily News. “I just was obsessed with Batman when I was a kid. What I find so interesting about him as a character is that, as far a superhero goes, he’s not superhuman, he is a person. And he is a tortured soul who is grappling with his past and trying to find a way to be in a world that has a lot that’s wrong with it and trying to find a way to reconcile all of that.”

 

Reeves goes on to say that Batman and Planet of the Apes are connected by the strength of their respective leads.

 

[Batman] is a really powerful character, in the same way that Caesar is such a powerful character.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
82,956 posts

THE BATMAN: Did BEAUTY AND THE BEAST Star Josh Gad Just Tease A Role As The Penguin?

Josh_Gad.jpg

Quote

Social media is buzzing this morning after Beauty and the Beast star Josh Gad shared a photo of The Penguin with his followers.

U3cqBXG.png

 

 

As a result, speculation is running rampant that the actor could have been cast as the villain in The Batman. It would make sense for more of the Caped Crusader's rogues to show up, and while Gad seems a bit young for the role, that could be easily changed with prosthetics. This would certainly be a pretty inventive bit of casting on the part of The Batman director Matt Reeves, but you'd think this image would herald an announcement of some sort. It's possible Gad may have met for the role...or that he just so happens to be a pretty big fan of the comic book character. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
82,956 posts

Since there was a concern three months go Affleck was guaranteed to drop out of the movie completely, this is good news.

Is Justice League's Ben Affleck hinting at The Batman filming date?

Quote

The filming was supposed to begin in spring this year but was pushed to summer later on. But now things are back to the square one with no official word on the new dates. However, reports suggest the pre-production works have begun as Ben Affleck has started preparations for the role as sole savior.

 

The development would come as a relief for fans who feared Ben Affleck might back out of the project. The actor, who is reprising his role from Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League, has reportedly begun training for his role in his standalone movie.

 

Noted DC Comics insider Umberto Gonzalez, in an episode of Heroic Insider, dropped some hot news from the DC camp, Comicbook.com reported.

 

"Ben Affleck - Batman - I just got word that he just started training again for the role. You know how there was talk that he was gonna leave and he might leave the role? Nah, bro! He's working out. He's getting back in shape," Gonzalez said.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
82,956 posts

Josh Gad poses with DC Films presidents and a Penguin comic

VGMeqTG.png

Quote

Last month, Josh Gad posted a picture of The Penguin on Twitter without a caption. Last night, the Beauty and the Beast actor took his Penguin rumors to a whole new level!

 

Gad posted a photo of himself inside the DC Comics offices posing with the DC Films presidents Geoff Johns and Jon Berg.

 

Josh-Gad-DC.jpg?quality=85&strip=info&ss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29,360 posts

I've never found the penguin villain character interesting however I did like Devito in Batman returns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
82,956 posts

The Batman Director Explains His Personal Approach To The Film

oF9WSEP.png

Quote

Speaking to ComicBook.com at a press event for War for the Planet of the Apes in London, Reeves spilled his perspective on the upcoming Batman film.

 

"Look, I'm just starting Batman because literally, [War for the Planet of the Apes], as I just said, we finished about a we ago and now we're publicizing it," Reeves said. "So, we haven't even begun on Batman. For me, what's always important is to try and find a personal way in. In that way, I do feel like I relate to actors. It's about understanding emotionally, the way something is. I see this parallel between Caesar and Batman, really, which is this idea of these characters who are grappling with their own struggle and trying to do the right thing in an imperfect world and, so, I do really relate it to that kind of idea."

 

A "personal" take on Batman? That's a one way ticket to having a lot of happy butts in seats.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,193 posts
14 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I see this parallel between Caesar and Batman, really, which is this idea of these characters who are grappling with their own struggle and trying to do the right thing in an imperfect world and, so, I do really relate it to that kind of idea.

Huh?  This immediately harkens back to the quote starting at 1:15 in the clip below from "The Dark Knight."

Harvey Dent:    When their enemies were at the gates, the Romans would suspend democracy  and appoint one man to protect the city. It wasn't considered an honor,  it was considered a public service. 
Rachel Dawes:   Harvey, the last man who they appointed to protect the Republic was named Caesar and he never gave up his power. 
Harvey Dent:   Okay, fine. you either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

With Caesar being the villain of Rome by rising to dictator and creating the historical precedent of emperor that dominated Rome following his nephew Octavian's rule and effectively ended the Roman Republic.  So how, exactly, does Reeves view Caesar as heroic in a similar way that Batman is?  ???

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
82,956 posts

‘The Batman’ director Matt Reeves says Ben Affleck is still his Batman

IMG_0465.jpeg?quality=85&strip=info&ssl=

Quote

One rumor that caught a lot of attention was that Affleck was considering walking away from The Batman completely. Fuel to that fire was added when an official press release from Warner Bros. came out announcing Matt Reeves as The Batman director, but never mentioned Affleck’s name. Well, fear not!

 

Just a few weeks after DC Films producer Charles Roven said he had “every expectation” that Ben Affleck would star in The Batman, director Matt Reeves confirmed that Affleck is still in the starring role.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,346 posts
On 2017-06-20 at 6:57 AM, fantastic_four said:

Huh?  This immediately harkens back to the quote starting at 1:15 in the clip below from "The Dark Knight."

Harvey Dent:    When their enemies were at the gates, the Romans would suspend democracy  and appoint one man to protect the city. It wasn't considered an honor,  it was considered a public service. 
Rachel Dawes:   Harvey, the last man who they appointed to protect the Republic was named Caesar and he never gave up his power. 
Harvey Dent:   Okay, fine. you either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

With Caesar being the villain of Rome by rising to dictator and creating the historical precedent of emperor that dominated Rome following his nephew Octavian's rule and effectively ended the Roman Republic.  So how, exactly, does Reeves view Caesar as heroic in a similar way that Batman is?  ???

 

He is (I think) referring to Caesar - who is the main Ape in his Planet of the Apes franchise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,193 posts
3 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

He is (I think) referring to Caesar - who is the main Ape in his Planet of the Apes franchise

Oh yea, that makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29,360 posts

The amount of "fake news" on this movie reported online is making me suspect that the Russians are involved. 

What did Ben Affleck ever do to Putin.

Edited by jsilverjanet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
82,956 posts

Matt Reeves Says Warner Bros. Is Excited About The Batman

why-matt-reeves-is-great-director-batman

Quote

Speaking with Variety, Reeves revealed of his partnership with the huge studio, "Let’s put it this way. I’ve never worked with them, but my experience with them so far has been really good. As I describe what I want to do, they seem really excited. So it's the beginning of a journey."

 

"I’ve never worked with any studio other than Fox, so it's going to be an exploration for me," Reeves confessed. "I’m excited to say that thus far they seem really excited about it and I suppose if we should ever come to an impasse then we’d have to resolve it one way or another. I’m very hopeful and positive about it."

 

The director also went on to explain his excitement to explore Batman, detailing, “What I see in Batman that I find so interesting is that, in a way, he reminds me of [War for the Planet of the Apes'] Caesar, in that he is a character with a really troubled past who is grappling within himself to try to do the right thing in a really imperfect world, in a corrupt world."

 

He concludes, "That provides an opportunity, again, if you want to take that point-of-view storytelling — and I can imagine the story as being like a noir. The originals from the golden age were detective stories. I think if you can marry that with the personal, there’s a chance to do something very exciting.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
82,956 posts

Matt Reeves confirms ‘The Batman’ is starting over from scratch

Quote

Reeves was a guest on MTV’s Happy Sad Confused podcast and host Josh Horowitz asked if he was going to be working off of Ben Affleck and Geoff John’s original -script. “No,” Reeves replied. “It’s a new story. It’s just starting again. I’m excited about it. I think it’s going to be really cool.”

 

This might not be good news for Joe Manganiello, who was supposed to play the villain Deathstroke. Reeves has described his take on The Batman as a noir driven, detective version.

 

Reeves also talked about his meeting with Warner Bros. about The Batman. He explained to them that he needed a break after working on War for the Planet of the Apes for three years (it’s out this weekend), so don’t expect The Batman production to begin this year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,531 posts

Come on Hush!

A full on, live action take on Hush would be amazing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,439 posts

wasn't it obvious that Matt was going to do a new -script for the movie and not use what came before? all of his interviews he was talking about a completely different movie he wanted to make compared to the reports we got before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28,409 posts
 

REPORT: BEN AFFLECK'S RUN AS BATMAN IN THE DCEU MAY END EARLY.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/report-ben-afflecks-run-as-batman-in-the-dceu-may-end-early

 

Ben Affleck's career as the Batman of the DCEU may be over just as quickly as it began. A new report from THR says Warner Bros. is now exploring its options to get Affleck out of the role "gracefully," and perhaps even before The Batman, the solo film that at one point he was writing, directing, and starring in.

When Affleck stepped out of the directorial role for The Batman, he issued a statement saying he wanted to give his all to acting in the role, and couldn't do that and direct simultaneously. Likewise, his -script with Geoff Johns, DC Films co-head and DC Entertainment CCO and president, would stick around -- at the time. Then Matt Reeves was hired to step in as director, and he re-iterated that "Ben is our Batman."

A few weeks passed, and Reeves said he was no longer using the Johns/Affleck -script, opting for a "page one rewrite." He said he wanted his Batman film -- and possibly a full trilogy -- to be more noir and detective-driven than exploring the superhero side. While nothing official has hit yet, a new rumor at The Splash Report just earlier Friday said that Reeves is bringing in his Planet of the Apes collaborator Mark Bomback to write the new screenplay.

Now THR says their sources say WB is "working on plans to usher out Affleck's Batman," and that they plan to do it as an in-universe plot point in "some shape or form." That's a key note, and intriguing, that they'd want to acknowledge it at all and not simply recast the character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
82,956 posts

:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

Warner Bros. To "Usher Out" Ben Affleck's BATMAN As Studio Looks To Take The Dark Knight In A New Direction

Quote

 According to The Hollywood Reporter, he won't be left hanging on The Batman news. Despite Warner Bros. film chief Toby Emmerich telling the trade "Ben is our Batman. We love him as Batman. We want to keep him in the cowl as long as we can," they've spoken with sources close to the situation that tell them the studio is currently working on plans to gracefully usher out the actor's Caped Crusader in a future DC movie.

 

That could mean he's being killed off or will pass the cape and cowl down to a character like Nightwing; we just don't know right now. The trade doesn't believe Affleck will star in The Batman and that he could be too old to stick around for the trilogy Reeves is envisioning. They also don't believe that we'll see Affleck remain in Justice League while a different actor takes over the character's solo franchise.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
82,956 posts
3 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:
 

REPORT: BEN AFFLECK'S RUN AS BATMAN IN THE DCEU MAY END EARLY.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/report-ben-afflecks-run-as-batman-in-the-dceu-may-end-early

 

Ben Affleck's career as the Batman of the DCEU may be over just as quickly as it began. A new report from THR says Warner Bros. is now exploring its options to get Affleck out of the role "gracefully," and perhaps even before The Batman, the solo film that at one point he was writing, directing, and starring in.

When Affleck stepped out of the directorial role for The Batman, he issued a statement saying he wanted to give his all to acting in the role, and couldn't do that and direct simultaneously. Likewise, his --script with Geoff Johns, DC Films co-head and DC Entertainment CCO and president, would stick around -- at the time. Then Matt Reeves was hired to step in as director, and he re-iterated that "Ben is our Batman."

A few weeks passed, and Reeves said he was no longer using the Johns/Affleck --script, opting for a "page one rewrite." He said he wanted his Batman film -- and possibly a full trilogy -- to be more noir and detective-driven than exploring the superhero side. While nothing official has hit yet, a new rumor at The Splash Report just earlier Friday said that Reeves is bringing in his Planet of the Apes collaborator Mark Bomback to write the new screenplay.

Now THR says their sources say WB is "working on plans to usher out Affleck's Batman," and that they plan to do it as an in-universe plot point in "some shape or form." That's a key note, and intriguing, that they'd want to acknowledge it at all and not simply recast the character.

lol

I was too busy reading it while posting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
6 6