• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A few international art auctions

10 posts in this topic

I was really jazzed about going after a piece in the current Little Nemo auction, something labeled as an Homage to Moebius by Sergio Toppi. I am pretty sure that it was listed at opening bid of 1200 euros with an estimate of 1200-1500. Now it is opening bid of 1800 euro and estimate of 1800-3000. No bids as of now. That is probably more than I am willing to go; sad thing is that I have no idea what happens to the art that gets no bids and wonder if I can get a shot assuming it ends unsold. Auction ends 15th. Anyone have any knowledge on that?

The prices seem high to me on the 'merican stuff but there are some nice things in there and I have been mostly on the sidelines lately so maybe I am just wrong. So have at it everyone.

The Urania auction featured on CAF as the top banner is interesting as well. I may have to be consoled with something from there. (Some excellent Toppi there too!) Many things to look at but the foreign language aspect makes it daunting.

Anyone else looking at these auctions? Go click through CAF for Bill at least. :sumo:

Little Nemo sets opens pretty high. Items that get bids usually only get one or two. Those that don't, and there always some, often recycle to the next auction with the same opening bid. IMO you won't get any deals, but if you see something you like at a price you accept...it's there for you.

Little Nemo sets opens pretty high. Items that get bids usually only get one or two. Those that don't, and there always some, often recycle to the next auction with the same opening bid. IMO you won't get any deals, but if you see something you like at a price you accept...it's there for you.

Thanks for the info. I have looked before but never got all hot and bothered like I am now.

I was really jazzed about going after a piece in the current Little Nemo auction, something labeled as an Homage to Moebius by Sergio Toppi. I am pretty sure that it was listed at opening bid of 1200 euros with an estimate of 1200-1500. Now it is opening bid of 1800 euro and estimate of 1800-3000. No bids as of now. That is probably more than I am willing to go; sad thing is that I have no idea what happens to the art that gets no bids and wonder if I can get a shot assuming it ends unsold. Auction ends 15th. Anyone have any knowledge on that?

Can't tell for sure but the PDF catalog has not been modified for 20 days and the homage you're referring to is estimated 1600/300 euros in it.

Thanks for the info. I have looked before but never got all hot and bothered like I am now.

Basically every LN lot starts from market price; it is not a real auction, it's more a consignement. It seems you have followed those auctions in the past, so you have noticed that 99% of the times the lots that are sold sell at the opening bid... And during the few bidding wars there is often a hidden (shilled?) reserve price. If an item is not sold, you have the chance to purchase it after the auction closes at the opening price + juice.

Btw if you are looking for a nice Toppi, dcheck my CAF and drop me a line!

Basically every LN lot starts from market price; it is not a real auction, it's more a consignement. It seems you have followed those auctions in the past, so you have noticed that 99% of the times the lots that are sold sell at the opening bid... And during the few bidding wars there is often a hidden (shilled?) reserve price. If an item is not sold, you have the chance to purchase it after the auction closes at the opening price + juice.

Thanks for the helpful info.

I did go to your CAF and saw one Toppi; it is marvelous. I have one so far but am in the mood for more.

Thanks for the helpful info.

I did go to your CAF and saw one Toppi; it is marvelous. I have one so far but am in the mood for more.

If you need any info about Italian auctions, feel free to ask as I am Italian and know a lot of people in the hobby. If you need some specific advise, write me in private as my ideas sometimes are not meant to be public.

If you wanna discuss about my Toppi, well, I might be in the process of raising funds.

If you need any info about Italian auctions, feel free to ask as I am Italian and know a lot of people in the hobby. If you need some specific advise, write me in private as my ideas sometimes are not meant to be public.

I participated (on the phone) in in a Urania auction in the past and I had the impression that there was some sort of shilling going on.

Do you have any insights on this?

You can answer by PM if you prefer.