• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is it about Ebay that attracts so many boneheads?

87 posts in this topic

He may have needed the cash ASAP for something. Still the same-- poor form on his part.

But someone said it best to me once-- when it comes to selling stuff online, take a breath and relax. Everyone has a busy life and buying, selling, paying, shipping, and communicating about some item takes a back seat to family, friends, work, and enjoying the world around you.

If I got an message like this, I would probably pay and then send them a note and say-- Look, I'm not sure what prompted that abrupt message regarding the payment for the item, but it is poor business practice to treat a customer like this - especially one who has bought thousands of dollars of merchandise from you previously -- and expect them to continue buying items going forward.

My rule on this is simple-- and I state it in all my comic related offers. I tell them I have my account set to start a non-payment case automatically for all sales after 4 days. If you know you will not be able to meet those requirements, please contact me and we will try to work something out.

I don't sweat someone stiffing me on a purchase. If they do-- I offer it up to the next highest bidder or simply relist it.

I almost always pay immediately. There have been a couple of times where I needed a day or two to get the payment sent (odd reason usually). In those cases, I email the seller and just give a heads up that it will be a couple of days.

I would expect the same courtesy if I were selling. That's only reasonable. The email from the seller didn't seem rude to me. Seemed like a busy person just wanting to know if he can count on that money coming in.

Was it poor form? Yeah probably somewhat. But it could be he wasn't paying attention to the fact that you were a repeat buyer. And there are so many non-paying bidders on ebay these days that it really is frustrating as a seller. Recently had one book "sell" on 3 separate instances and not get payment for it until the third time it sold. I thought the book was cursed or something.

Just been busy the last couple of days. Immediate payment is always nice as a seller, but I don't expect it. Its not the reminder that I mind so much, it more how he threatened to cancel the transaction by Thursday. A bit heavy handed and it rubbed my the wrong way obviously.

We hear you my friend, but the seller doesn't know that you've been busy and who knows what's happening on his side. It reads as a matter of fact to me and not intended to be insulting or even threatening. Could be an elderly man, young kid or someone who is not well versed in text communication. You'll be fine... don't let it get to you. Lot's of worse things to get upset about ^_^

This is why prompt communication, on both ends, is so warranted.

Ebay has become a very impersonal experience for me these days. The transactions almost feel robotic. Back in the beginning it was a huge online flea market with everybody going nuts trying to find the best deals and lots of communication. Was once my first choice by a wide margin now i rarely go there.

Oh well, at least we have the boards. The selection of material is much smaller from day to day but the transactions are consistently good.

As a seller and buyer on eBay I'd say way more bonehead buyers. 2 days after purchase and still not paid I'd send a courtesy message as well (but a polite one). I always pay immediately and if I can't I let the seller know before purchasing or bidding. He's probably just fed up with no pay buyers, low ballers and people that don't read descriptions among other reasons.

If a 0 feedback buyer has not paid in two days, I send another invoice, on the third day, I send a message asking if everything is okay and that the item is boxed up and ready to go. After that I open a non paying bidder claim with eBay.

I always send an apology if I can't pay within the same hour of buying. (Usually because I'm out of town and won't do payments over my phone).

I never bid unless I have the money ready and waiting. Anyone that does otherwise is a tool.

(Though, occasionally, I do go to the supermarket and load-up a cart full of groceries, and then push it over by Customer Service and tell them "I want to buy all of this stuff, but can't pay for it right now. I have the money, but I'll be back in a day or two and give you it in cash...Thank you!"

And on the third day, I got a nasty call from them stating that if I didn't pay them in the next 24 hours, they were going to put all the food back....THE NERVE!!!! :frustrated: )

:makepoint:

-Terry

Just been busy the last couple of days. Immediate payment is always nice as a seller, but I don't expect it. Its not the reminder that I mind so much, it more how he threatened to cancel the transaction by Thursday. A bit heavy handed and it rubbed my the wrong way obviously.

Not to be an azz, but you weren't to busy to bid in his auction, but once you won, you suddenly became "Too busy" to take two minutes to pay the guy?

His tact and diplomacy leave a bit to be desired, but it's been two days(48 hours) with no message from you saying when you will pay, or why you are delayed in making the payment.

Pay when you win, or message the seller, and tell them when you will be paying.

That's the courteous thing to do IMO

No, it isn't just you. Used to be sellers had a lot of patience on ebay. Not anymore. I have gotten a lot of unkind requests for payment on the 2 day mark and I have 100% feedback.

This has more to do with eBay policies than sellers. They are under a lot of pressure to collect payments and send out items.

This is nothing to get upset about. Put yourself in the sellers shoes... He may be tired of people who bid and don't pay. Text messages can be very confusing so I wouldn't read too much into it. You should simply pay for your item and be done with it. Watch this video:

:applause:

The seller did send me a quick note of apology which I appreciated. All is good.

"Thank you for understanding. It's just been distracting these past few weeks. Again sorry for being curt, I should have constructed a better email."

I almost always pay immediately. There have been a couple of times where I needed a day or two to get the payment sent (odd reason usually). In those cases, I email the seller and just give a heads up that it will be a couple of days.

I would expect the same courtesy if I were selling. That's only reasonable. The email from the seller didn't seem rude to me. Seemed like a busy person just wanting to know if he can count on that money coming in.

+1. I'm a rather agreeable seller, and if someone contacts me right away and lets me know it's going to be a couple of days, I'm generally fine with it. But I've always felt like you shouldn't bid if you can't pay right away.

These days, I'm just happy to get the payment at all. The number of users who successfully win an auction and then almost immediately send a message with some BS excuse asking to cancel the transaction have skyrocketed. :pullhair:

The seller did send me a quick note of apology which I appreciated. All is good.

"Thank you for understanding. It's just been distracting these past few weeks. Again sorry for being curt, I should have constructed a better email."

:golfclap:

..... when is someone going to start the "Preferred eBay Seller LIST" ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

+1. I'm a rather agreeable seller, and if someone contacts me right away and lets me know it's going to be a couple of days, I'm generally fine with it. But I've always felt like you shouldn't bid if you can't pay right away.

These days, I'm just happy to get the payment at all. The number of users who successfully win an auction and then almost immediately send a message with some BS excuse asking to cancel the transaction have skyrocketed. :pullhair:

I agree. Word to the wise, if you cannot pay right away and unless payment terms are stipulated in the listing, for the love of god message the seller before placing a bid asking if it is ok to pay by such and such a date. I've had winners of auctions messaging after with every type of excuse in the book to delay payment. I refuse 100% of the time and will gently tell them if they only had the courtesey of messaging me first I most likely would have been ok if the time frame was reasonable.

I think a seller can open a NPB case in 48 hours so if no prior arrangements were made everyone who wins should absolutely pay within this window.

I do understand the OP though, being a repeat customer being a bit annoyed. The seller was a bit crass in his message.

lol - just got my 1st one......

"Hey I'm sorry I thought I had more in my account. I can't purchase this now."

gotta redo that BIN with the pay immediately function.....

not even that expensive of a book -

strange - ran it through google translate - came up with this

"I wanted to purchase this book and flip for a profit, my buyer fell through so now I am faking that I have no money so I cannot be held accountable"

man - that google translate gets better all of the time.....