• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC's Policy on Approving Sig Series Venues and Witnesses, Thoughts?

57 posts in this topic

CGC needs to figure out a way to hold rogue facilitators liable for their gross negligence or willful misconduct. Perhaps a liability provision in its contracts with facilitators.

There is more to the program than merely authenticity. Professionalism - which includes obtaining sigs at appropriate times in appropriate venues, paying the fees that creators and celebs require, and putting a positive impression in the minds of customers and the talent - is also a factor in maintaining CGC's image as the classiest and most trustworthy program.

I guess I just disagree with you on what matters to me personally as a collector. I am not saying you're wrong, I am just expressing what matters to me as a collector. Trustworthiness matters, but for me, "classiness" just isn't important. To me, it isn't important if Han got his $1000 for his sig. What is important to me is that it is authentic.

I would wager that's at the top of everyone's list.

To get to "authentic", however, there are several factors that go into the having a program that can be trusted to deliver authentic items 100% of the time.

One of those factors is the strength of the program. A program like this is only as strong as the people who participate and are allowed to be a part of it. One or two people with malleable ideas of professionalism, boundaries and ethics is all it takes to taint an entire program. There have to be high standards, even barriers, to entry. Being able to pay for your grading fees should not be the only barrier.

Another factor is strict and unbending common sense rules for witnessing. Where CGC has gotten it right and not everyone has followed along: Witnesses CANNOT witness their own books. The appearance of impropriety alone is enough to take the program down a notch. In the hands of the wrong person, the temptation that accompanies being able to be the only witness and verification of an item that would instantly carry a large premium in value immediately brings the item's authenticity into question due to an conflict of interest.

Also, there must be clear and predetermined approvals for celeb opportunities with a time frame, location that doesn't make the program look like TMZ, swooping down on celebs in the wild. Classy may not matter to collectors trying to get a specific book signed but to the overall prestige, dependability and profile of the program in question Class and Professionalism is invaluable.

Now put all three factors together and you should be able to see how things can go horribly wrong.

If a program were to allow:

1)Almost anyone can become a witness, and

2) they can witness their own books at

3) opportunities that are not predetermined and preapproved to any degree of specificity.

and you've got a large potential problem where the appearance of the program is one that is not precise and trustworthy. Even if every signature is genuine the appearance created will destroy the program in short order.

That "Classiness", better named "Professionalism" is a telltale attribute dividing a gold standard program (no pun intended) and something that can and will allow seeds of doubt to be sown.

CGC & especially Michael Balent do a marvelous job selecting facilitators, witnesses, and events to approve for Sig Series. The integrity of the yellow label is very important and I can assure you (as some one who collects, witnesses, and facilitates) that only vetted people are approved to participate in setting up Sig Series events. Additionally, those approved by CGC for Sig Series events have to perform professionally, efficiently, and productively. Otherwise, they will not be approved for future events.

Sean is 100% right. Maintaining a good reputation & public image with all parties involved (from the folks getting the autographs, to the folks signing the books, and to the folks buying those books) is vital. Because CGC does such a great job selecting who is approve for events and it's conduct as a business with great integrity, the yellow label is probably the most respected signature authentications in the industry.

As someone who has a large gold label collection, I would not have invested the time and resources that it took to build that collection if I did not think the Sig Series program wasn't something very special. Just imagine how special (and valuable) some of these will be 50 years from now. I'm sure there will be improvements to the program over time, but yellow label books are special for a reason.....they are never easy to put together.

CGC & especially Michael Balent do a marvelous job selecting facilitators, witnesses, and events to approve for Sig Series. The integrity of the yellow label is very important and I can assure you (as some one who collects, witnesses, and facilitates) that only vetted people are approved to participate in setting up Sig Series events. Additionally, those approved by CGC for Sig Series events have to perform professionally, efficiently, and productively. Otherwise, they will not be approved for future events.

Sean is 100% right. Maintaining a good reputation & public image with all parties involved (from the folks getting the autographs, to the folks signing the books, and to the folks buying those books) is vital. Because CGC does such a great job selecting who is approve for events and it's conduct as a business with great integrity, the yellow label is probably the most respected signature authentications in the industry.

As someone who has a large gold label collection, I would not have invested the time and resources that it took to build that collection if I did not think the Sig Series program wasn't something very special. Just imagine how special (and valuable) some of these will be 50 years from now. I'm sure there will be improvements to the program over time, but yellow label books are special for a reason.....they are never easy to put together.

Agreed on all fronts.

The yellow label is only as good as the trust that it creates and maintains.

Mike and the gang really protect it well.

If people think the program is flawless all they need to do is look back a few months to the Akoni issues. That was a huge mistake on everyone's part, Akonis, CGCs, and his fellow facilitators. Ty Salazar is doing a crazy good job taking care of that mess, but imagine if he hadn't been able to stand up and handle it.

Akoni's mistakes were his, and his alone. His facilitators, which some of us were a part of Team Eastman, were (insert derogatory word) over. To this day, none of us have been compensated.

His actions lead to the dismemberment of Team Eastman, and tarnished a wonderful relationship with both Kevin and Courtney.

People who worked for him at shows would be his Caws

His fellow facilitators would be people who trusted him to handle customer books at shows he was planning to attend. People that have customers now missing books that he was given. I know several facilitators who had to go out of pocket to refund clients because those books can't be found.

I know that CGC also put a firm ban on people witnessing their own books,

Since when?

NdWKdq9.jpg

Yup.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=1484&

I was hoping to see CGC institute a booth-based breathalyzer or THC test for witnesses.

The last thing we'd need are impaired witnesses, not that anything like that is likely. lol

Agreed on all fronts.

The yellow label is only as good as the trust that it creates and maintains.

Mike and the gang really protect it well.

Exactly why I love my yellow label slabs and will never crack those books out. Looking forward to seeing the program work first hand this year, hoping it will motivate me to get involved and work for a facilitator in the future.

I know that CGC also put a firm ban on people witnessing their own books,

Since when?

NdWKdq9.jpg

Yup.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=1484&

I was hoping to see CGC institute a booth-based breathalyzer or THC test for witnesses.

The last thing we'd need are impaired witnesses, not that anything like that is likely. lol

hm

Others have already echoed my sentiments here. Sean, Chris, and TP have stated things very well. (thumbs u

Though, the below quote just screams "custom title" to me. hm

for me, "classiness" just isn't important.

Yup anything I would say has been said.

The other guys allow WAY too many "AW's"

They let anyone become and AW instantly just to get more business, there is no trial period nothing.

I have heard of lots of issues already in their yellow label program. Not worth the $$ investment.

CGC drops the Mic with the new cases and upgraded CGC Cases......BOOM

oh

And a Signature Program with Integrity.... ;)

So, I've been talking to a few people about some changes to how CGC approves or denies approval to certain potential signings. They've done away with the non-book signing, non-traditional convention or scheduled public appearance, more paparazzi style signings.

So we won't see the film festival books any more and the outside a concert or man on the street or caught him coming out of a premiere books won't be getting a Sig Series label from CGC.

I know that CGC also put a firm ban on people witnessing their own books, whereas I am seeing several books on eBay in CBCS labels that look like they are being sold by the witness themselves.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Most of the people I know that had been getting books done at these events for CGC are solid and trustworthy, but I guess I might be able to see where there might be some cause for concern.

I've noticed that CBCS has no problem approving witnesses for the TMZ style, hit him at a stop light, signings.

Overall, what do we think this does for the brands and trust in the brands...both CGC and CBCS?

It has been about 6 1/2 years since the program overhaul, and from what I have been seeing, it has kept the program head and shoulders above the competition. The vast majority of the business Voldemort gets is by doing things in a more lax fashion than the SS Program. People want to get their "after the fact" books done, and that is cool. But there is a reason that only one Yellow label is considered the best. CGC is not perfect, but it will consistently make the tough decisions that keep the program above the rabble.

Other than my one treasured Voldemort slab, I have no use for them or their "program." Why drink Old Crow when there is Pappy in the cabinet?

I have no dog in the Sig Series fight, but I see no reason to denigrate Old Crow! That's one fine bourbon whiskey! :baiting: