• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Craigslist Cautionary Tale - Please Read

61 posts in this topic

I sold something on Craigslist one time. It was for around $125 dollars. They guy said he had someone else that was going to pick it up and wanted to know if he sent me some extra money if I'd give it to the guy. I said sure. A few days later a check from a food service place in New York came to my house in Tennessee for over 2,000 dollars more than what I had sold. I contacted the FBI and they emailed me it was probably money laundering and not to deal with them. I messaged the guy back told him I was uncomfortable with it and wouldn't cash the check. He never got back to me and no one ever showed up. Will never use it again.

I'm surprised the FBI is so clueless. This has nothing to do with money laundering and laundering involves cash, not checks.

This is the old 'send check for too much money person cashes check sends the sender the overage 2 weeks later your bank discovers its a counterfeit check you eat the loss' scam.

I thought it could be that or they were stealing from the company and using people like me to do their dirty work by cashing the checks so their name is never on one.

I sold a set of bunk-beds on Craigslist.

Literally not 20 minutes after I posted it for sale, I got a call and the guy came over the next morning to look at them. The set was in the garage. He bought them, gave me $50 deposit and said he would come back in a few hours with a truck and the rest of the money. He did, I got paid and he drove away with the beds in his truck and all my sphincters were still intact. But yeah, CL can be about as creepy as a guy at a playpark with a windowless van and a "Puppies For Sale" sign on the back.

before craigslist criminals had to come up to someone in the parking lot and say 'excuse me sir' to perpetuate their activities

I don't use Craiglist but not for this reason (sorry to hear something happened to your family member). I'm sure if percentages were done on positive transactions completed to outright robberies/murders committed through Craigslist it would be quite the low percentage of crime overall (which is probably why the FBI & law enforcement hasn't angled to get Craigslist shutdown). This is used for some folks as a way to partake in their business & just as in hopping into a car and driving down the street, there are risks. We don't choose not to drive even though many people every day (probably few minutes) are mangled and/or killed in car accidents...it is a chance we take for the sake of convenience.

If someone wants to victimize you, Craiglist or no, they will do so (I'm sure there are more than a bit of stories told & untold of how people used someone's address from Ebay to target them/clean them out...but the story isn't as scary as the thought of meeting up w/a stranger somewhere to sell/buy goods only to have them victimize the individual (those kind of stories grasp the viewer, better click bait for news outlets, & easier to prove).

It's funny--in my other hobby, pinball machines, Cragslist is a way of life. With comics, however, I am usually more careful and transact in a public place.

To some extent, things have always been this way, there's just simply more communication and more transactions. Back in the late 1990's, I placed a Pennysaver ad to buy books. I walked into the apartment in Dundalk, MD and the guy pulls a gun on me, demanding my money. I lied, stayed calm,, and sneered "Do you think I'm stupid enough to bring it in with me?", like a insufficiently_thoughtful_person. He couldn't believe it, almost as if I betrayed him. "Are you serious? Sheet!." I responded "I'm outta here."

Incredibly, he answered, "Wait, don't you wanna see the books?" as I walked out the door.

I still haven't told me wife about this.

Jesus Christ, this part should have been your first clue.

lol

I've bought and sold a lot of stuff on Craigslist, and I've never once had a problem. That being said, before every deal I have that weird feeling in my gut, and hope that nothing goes south. I always meet in a well trafficked public location in broad daylight, and always make sure my wife knows where I'm headed, and when to expect me back. Seems like a lot of worry for not a lot of reward. May have to rethink it.

I've bought and sold a lot of stuff on Craigslist, and I've never once had a problem. That being said, before every deal I have that weird feeling in my gut, and hope that nothing goes south. I always meet in a well trafficked public location in broad daylight, and always make sure my wife knows where I'm headed, and when to expect me back. Seems like a lot of worry for not a lot of reward. May have to rethink it.

The bolded text above is exactly why I felt I had to post the original message. I came to the same conclusion when, while nothing bad happened to me personally, it hit pretty close to home, and I finally asked...what is the risk/reward of playing this game? There's no way it's worth it. I'd rather have others come to that conclusion by reading things like this than via personal experience or that of someone close to them. And honestly, in the most tragic cases here, you don't get to make two mistakes.

I've never used Craigslist before but it seems like there are always horror stories relating to that site. I don't know why either. It can't just be economic conditions either, it probably says something about the site that police are establishing trading areas now for these sort of deals. It's probably best just to deal on eBay and make sure your rules are all noted in the auctions. I've had a few attempts to make a purchase in person. But I've always said no and it's usually a red flag anyway when a buyer on eBay attempts to go around the rules you have set. eBay also requires delivery confirmation for sellers, so in person deals break that rule.

I remember when I was young going to the homes of people I didn't know to buy vintage toys, comics, games, and that sort of stuff. I never thought there would be a problem. Of course, I was given the names by stores and other dealers. But still this was in my mid teens to early twenties and by myself. And I'm not the biggest guy either. Some might say that was foolish but when you don't trust your fellow citizen, society starts to break down.

I normally meet in a strip mall when I do CL transactions and it's worked out. Usually I'll chat with them prior to get a feel for it also. I'll look into the police station thing, that sounds like it's a good idea.

Very sorry about your relative. That really sucks.

The only time I was involved in a CL transaction was with my wife. She deals in very early (pre-1910) German Teddy Bears and Animals.

A young girl had her grandma's bear up for offers. My wife offered $3,500 and the girl accepted. We met at a shopping outlet in broad daylight. My wife gave me the cash to hold. The girl showed up, pulled it out of a paper bag and I made my wife check it out well. When she was happy, I gave the girl (in her early '20's) $3,500 in cash.

She stuffed it in her pocket and started to leave. I asked her if she didn't think she should count it and put it in her purse. Which she did. We then walked her to her car so she was safe. I don't think she had ever seen that much cash and she was thrilled as was my wife who made a very quick and large profit a couple weeks later.

I stay away from Craigslist...

I once bought something on ebay from the same town I live in and I asked if I could just pick it up somewhere. there was free shipping on the item so the seller was potentially losing more money than they needed to. Specifically it was a MTG related item and I said why not meet at the local game store where I actually saw them at frequently and were part of the same FB group for the store.

They wouldn't do it though.

I realize they were playing it safe and it was alright, I just wanted them to save some money.

So sorry about your relative.

I've never used CL but would advise to never meet someone at your home. Public place full of people and bring a buddy.

I have made a few big cash purchases (non comic related) in my life and always traveled with a buddy or two. Play it safe.

Is Craigslist any different than placing classified ads in the newspaper?

I understand the caution people have because of the few transactions that occur on Craigslist that something occurs. But to avoid Craigslist completely because of a few publicized cases is extreme. If you are selling an appliance or furniture, make sure you have several friends around (to help with moving the item. (thumbs u ) Meet in a busy, public location for smaller items. I bought one of my Philippine Star Wars #1 and 2's on eBay and met the guy in a grocery store parking lot to complete the transaction. It was one of the best deals I ever made.

I have kids, but when they were younger, I refused to be one of those parents that did not allow them to go and have fun with their friends unsupervised. I talked to them about the dangers and what to do and how to avoid them. It was hard at first, we are bombarded by the media anytime a child is kidnapped or worse. But now that they are older, I am very glad I gave them that freedom. I will have no worries as they leave the house to go to college and move on with life because they are independent. I look at some of their friends and wonder how they are going to cope with life because they are so sheltered by their parents.

It sucks what happened to the OP's relative. I can see being wary and cautious. But Craigslist is not the issue. If it wasn't through Craigslist, that attacker would have found another way to assault someone.

I'll look into the police station thing, that sounds like it's a good idea.

That's a really excellent idea. You'd be surprised at how many visitation/custody transfers in bad divorces are ordered by Judges to take place in the parking lots of your local PD. It keeps everyone calm. Friday evenings and Sunday evenings always seemed to have 2 or 3 of them going on.

That's a really excellent idea. You'd be surprised at how many visitation/custody transfers in bad divorces are ordered by Judges to take place in the parking lots of your local PD. It keeps everyone calm. Friday evenings and Sunday evenings always seemed to have 2 or 3 of them going on.

The police station parking lot is a great idea.

Another suggestion is the courthouse. There's plenty of sheriffs around and metal detectors. This assumes you're not selling anything too big or anything illicit or involving a brief case full of cash. They scan your bag, but they don't care at all whats inside as long as its not drugs or weapons.

Just meet on a bench outside of whatever court room, and do the deal

Another suggestion is the courthouse. There's plenty of sheriffs around and metal detectors. This assumes you're not selling anything too big or anything illicit or involving a brief case full of cash. They scan your bag, but they don't care at all whats inside as long as its not drugs or weapons.

Like when Jimmy and Henry met outside the parole office with a bag of money? Except with comics and geeks instead of mobsters.

Is Craigslist any different than placing classified ads in the newspaper?

I understand the caution people have because of the few transactions that occur on Craigslist that something occurs. But to avoid Craigslist completely because of a few publicized cases is extreme. If you are selling an appliance or furniture, make sure you have several friends around (to help with moving the item. (thumbs u ) Meet in a busy, public location for smaller items. I bought one of my Philippine Star Wars #1 and 2's on eBay and met the guy in a grocery store parking lot to complete the transaction. It was one of the best deals I ever made.

I have kids, but when they were younger, I refused to be one of those parents that did not allow them to go and have fun with their friends unsupervised. I talked to them about the dangers and what to do and how to avoid them. It was hard at first, we are bombarded by the media anytime a child is kidnapped or worse. But now that they are older, I am very glad I gave them that freedom. I will have no worries as they leave the house to go to college and move on with life because they are independent. I look at some of their friends and wonder how they are going to cope with life because they are so sheltered by their parents.

It sucks what happened to the OP's relative. I can see being wary and cautious. But Craigslist is not the issue. If it wasn't through Craigslist, that attacker would have found another way to assault someone.

Craigslist is anonymous so you can be a serial killer or whatever. Classified ads are paid by check or credit card so they're not anonymous.

Therefore all the criminals flock to the free, anonymous site

Like when Jimmy and Henry met outside the parole office with a bag of money? Except with comics and geeks instead of mobsters.

similar.

Although I guess there is the potential for some embarrassment if the sheriffs check out your comics, depending on what you're selling, then they ask you about them...golden age pulps or GFT, etc. But that's better than becoming a skin suit for some psycho.