• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When Tie-In's hurt

10 posts in this topic

Just looking through my collection online and remembered how cool tie-ins were back in the day. None felt like mandatory purchases, just nice to have books for completists. Top right corner would say tie-in and that was that.

Then I looked at the last marvel event and I think there was north of 120+ tie in books. Have they lost their effing mind????

For example. Acts of Vengeance for example had 50+ tie-in books. But that's because every book in the line had at least 2 tie-in issues. I don't remember being annoyed picking up an issue of alpha flight because there tie in was contained to the main alpha title. Now you have a Spider-Man title someone might collect and then they add a separate Spidey tie-in title.

These companies have lost their mind. Vent over.

When I was a wee lad in the 70's I used to hate crossovers, even if they were rare. They "forced" me to buy a Daredevil issue because I collect Ghost Rider, I think it was around issue 19 of GR. Then the lone DD comic I had messed with my OCD numbering being stuck in the middle of Ghost Rider.

The only one I recall really liking was the Avengers/Defenders crossover, turned me on to the Defenders.

I don't buy new comics and haven't since the 90's so I can imagine the pain.

When I was a wee lad in the 70's I used to hate crossovers, even if they were rare. They "forced" me to buy a Daredevil issue because I collect Ghost Rider, I think it was around issue 19 of GR. Then the lone DD comic I had messed with my OCD numbering being stuck in the middle of Ghost Rider.

The only one I recall really liking was the Avengers/Defenders crossover, turned me on to the Defenders.

the Avengers vs. the Defenders for the Evil Eye! Great crossover story.

I'm a Byrne guy. Loved GR 20 & DD 138 :cloud9:

Just looking through my collection online and remembered how cool tie-ins were back in the day. None felt like mandatory purchases, just nice to have books for completists. Top right corner would say tie-in and that was that.

Then I looked at the last marvel event and I think there was north of 120+ tie in books. Have they lost their effing mind????

For example. Acts of Vengeance for example had 50+ tie-in books. But that's because every book in the line had at least 2 tie-in issues. I don't remember being annoyed picking up an issue of alpha flight because there tie in was contained to the main alpha title. Now you have a Spider-Man title someone might collect and then they add a separate Spidey tie-in title.

These companies have lost their mind. Vent over.

I stopped buying moderns from everyone except Image and bongo and my collection has never felt more organized :cloud9: I'm a pretty young collector so for me to stop reading whats current and what I like reveals to myself that it really isn't worth it to revolve around one story that goes in 100 different directions. I'll choose my sanity over "marvel now" any day. Now I have more room for collecting SA-CA.

There was a day where I would buy every tie in because I was worried about missing the storyline. Now, I just don't care. I will collect the main titles that I already collect, and figure out what happened later. It's not even a matter of money, it's just a flat out refusal on my part to buy them anymore.