• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

May Heritage Comics & Comic Art Signature Auction

377 posts in this topic

I find it hard to tell whether they are paper flakes or tiny shards of plastic. I've seen stray bits of plastic end up in holders.

They appear to be dark beige—the color of tanned pages, in other words. If you look at the back cover, I think you'll agree that the pages appear to be darker along the top edge of the book, so maybe that's where the flakes came from.

Right you are. It's very clear on the back.

Also looks like some SCS might be going on.

Aren't those flakes or whatever outside the inner well? Seems to me they'd have to have been sealed in during encapsulation, in which case they may not be from this book.

It looks to me like they're inside the inner well, wedged between the two halves of it, below where it's sealed.

I am looking at the Wonder Woman 1. 5.0. Any guesses what it may go for?

Does this book seem like quite a tight fit in its slab? A number of other GA books in this auction also seem like tight fits to me. hm

Does this book seem like quite a tight fit in its slab? A number of other GA books in this auction also seem like tight fits to me. hm

It's too sexy for that slab (shrug) GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It's too sexy for that slab (shrug) GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Well, that too! :D

Does this book seem like quite a tight fit in its slab?

So many jokes...so little time.

Apologies if I ask here, but I wished to know if there is a way to delete your account at ha.com – I am not intentioned to continue using it, and I have looked but it seems there is no effective way to delete it from the site, and from your Profile pages.

Even if you can't delete your account, you can get them to stop sending you e-mails -- if that's what's bothering you. There is a link at the bottom of their e-mails "Unsubscribe from these e-mails"

Thanks everyone – no, I wanted to delete the account (I already disabled the email notifications) – what do you mean, Bill, by "trudge on"? That I should give up or email them? hm

– what do you mean, Bill, by "trudge on"?

Wow. I'm surprised they allowed that through the profanity filter. :o

Most definitely not Magik's take on the grading situation.

I have spoken to him quite a few times, both before and after the auction, and he states emphatically that the grading with the other company is much tougher and much more consistent.

If so, he may literally be the only person who thinks this. lol

Certainly not at higher grades. The market has shown that it won`t pay the same kind of premium for a 9.6 CBCS book as for a 9.6 CGC.

The CBCS 9.6 JIM 83 in a recent Heritage auction is a good example. If that had been a CGC 9.6, it would`ve been high 6 figures.

I may be in the minority's here but I think they are looser across all grades. Enough in my opinion that I now don't even look at CBCS graded stuff any more.

That's been my experience in resubmitting their books to CGC.

This company has gone downhill with its poor grading .. Trying to take business away with a higher grade... I have lost respect for them and their current business plan, they had a chance at merging with cgc down the road... What a shame... Cgc has nothing to worry about they are in it for the short run and if I ended any of Stevens graded books I would submit them to cgc for regrade before the situation gets worse ...what a joke... They could of been a contender

That's an interesting take that most of you guys have on what's happening with the grading situation at the 2 companies. My own personal take for what it's worth and which I clearly stated about a year ago was that in the light of increasing competition, it appeared that CGC was on the verge of starting a grading war in an attempt to win back market share.

In this type of market, one way to gain market share is to ensure that your product receives a higher price in "equivalent" grade. As a result, I am not at all surprised that CGC graded books would in most cases be getting higher prices as compared to so-called "equivalent" from the other company. Although Mitch clearly believes this is due to overgrading by the other company, the opposite might possibly be true and it might actually be intentional undergrading by CGC with nothing changing at the other company, as per the following comment:

It's basically the same as when Steve and West were at CGC.

Is it possible that this is part of CGC's game plan for the past year in order to gain market share? Have you guys considered the possibility that CGC might have tightened their grades to such an extreme that they are now in most cases, undergrading their books? Yes, it would appear that the other company is looser as evident by books that have been resubmitted to CGC.

But it would also appear that many previously slabbed books graded by CGC themselves, are also being significantly downgraded id they are being resubmitted to CGC for slabbing during this extreme tightening period. Are the grades on your previously CGC slabbed books now invalid, considering the apparent much tougher grading that is now taking place at CGC? If you do decide to resubmit your books for their new and improved grading, it might be a good idea to send in your old labels in order to help guide them along the way in terms of regrading your books. lol

Although most of the GA collectors don't play the CPR game, it would appear that the BA collectors are not very happy with the grading that is currently being done by CGC, as evidenced by some of the following posts:

So heres the updated information.

CGC called me and senior graders agreed that the grading was "too strict"

the 9.2 that was graded 8.0 has been adjusted to 9.0

The 8.0 then went to a 7.0 has been turned back to 8.0

Thanks to the folks at CGC for correcting this issue.

:facepalm:

Someone want to tell me again how CGC isn't being overly harsh right now? Those are huge swings in grade. Huge. That needs to be rectified quickly. I mean really even if Voldemort slabs are getting 10-15% less in price, if CGC is hammering books to this level for no good reason maybe its time to make a switch.

Actually, there is a reason for CGC to hammer books as they probably believe that undergraded books will result in higher prices which in turn will result in increased market share. But it's also possible that this could be short-term gain for long-term pain if enough customers can see what is happening. hm

Actually, the grades might not have been readjusted back up, but the original submittor was smart enough to have kept the original labels and resubmit them along with his request for a review of the grades. (thumbs u

CGC is in one of their PMS grading moods right now. I recently CPR'd several slabs, all improved in appearance, and all but one came back with the same or lower grades. In fact one of them was just a straight crack and resub -- what I thought was an undergraded book in a cracked holder -- it went from 9.6 to 9.2.

Bottom line... CGC is being extra picky right now and not consistent with previous standards.

Although it is normal to expect reasonable swings in grades since grading is not an exact science, I personally believe that professional grades that are moving from 9.6 down to 9.2 or from 9.2 down to 8.0 for books that have had nothing done to them in the interim is well beyond reasonable. :flamed:

I usually submit around 50-100 books every year. I've done this for the past 5 years. I've had about a 75-80% success rate on guessing grades. My last submission I got 13 out of 56 right. All 43 of those I missed were lower than my guess but 2. Those 2 were one grade above. Quite a few were 9.0s and 9.2s that were imo easy 9.4-9.6s. I know its a small sample but the difference in a 9.0 and 9.6 is pretty substantial. I also didnt receive one graders note on the entire submission. Thats a first. Im all for having tight grading but being tight to the point of changing the standards of grading is not a good thing.

Bottom-line: Although overgrading is definitely not good for the marketplace, intentional undergrading is equally not good for the marketplace. Instead of trying to constantly adjust your grading standards to adapt to shifting market conditions, I personally believe that it is critical that a grading company grades their books as accurately and as consistently as possible. That's the best way to ensure that you win market share.

I usually submit around 50-100 books every year. I've done this for the past 5 years. I've had about a 75-80% success rate on guessing grades. My last submission I got 13 out of 56 right. All 43 of those I missed were lower than my guess but 2. Those 2 were one grade above. Quite a few were 9.0s and 9.2s that were imo easy 9.4-9.6s. I know its a small sample but the difference in a 9.0 and 9.6 is pretty substantial. I also didnt receive one graders note on the entire submission. Thats a first. Im all for having tight grading but being tight to the point of changing the standards of grading is not a good thing.

Bottom-line: Although overgrading is definitely not good for the marketplace, intentional undergrading is equally not good for the marketplace. Instead of trying to constantly adjust your grading standards to adapt to shifting market conditions, I personally believe that it is critical that a grading company grades their books as accurately and as consistently as possible. That's the best way to ensure that you win market share.

My experience has been the same as bighaley21's. I am finding CGC to be extremely tight on higher grade stuff over the last two years, with the odd slight let up from time to time.

I too used to be 75-80% accurate at in my guesses of the CGC grade (after examining books first hand). I'm down to 50% or below lately.

I too used to be 75-80% accurate at in my guesses of the CGC grade (after examining books first hand). I'm down to 50% or below lately.

The 75-80 was when you were a collector, the 50 and below is now that you're a dealer :devil::baiting:

I've gotten most all my grades right over last 3 submissions. (shrug)

Sure, but didn't you always used to undergrade by one grade point a few years ago?

I've gotten most all my grades right over last 3 submissions. (shrug)

Sure, but didn't you always used to undergrade by one grade point a few years ago?

I still am personally tighter than cgc...got 18 of last 20 right. Im just anticipating cgc grade