• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Capullo selling his Batman artwork online
1 1

296 posts in this topic

I'd stab 38 hobos for the cover of issue #37.

One for each issue and the 38th just because I was on a roll.

Unless you're getting paid a grand a piece for stabbing them you're gonna still have to set up a payment plan.

Bummer, I only know the 38 hobos.

I believe that will be the iconic Joker cover of this decade.

39 is my favourite joker cover of their run...but $30K...y'ouch.

Death of the Family has some nice pieces, too.

Personally, I'm partial to this given the sheer creepiness, though obviously I'm biased!

NsZjsv1Z_2403161326561gpadd.jpg

Just read that trade over the weekend. This was the best image in the entire thing. Totally agree with you. Congrats!

I'd stab 38 hobos for the cover of issue #37.

One for each issue and the 38th just because I was on a roll.

Unless you're getting paid a grand a piece for stabbing them you're gonna still have to set up a payment plan.

Bummer, I only know the 38 hobos.

I believe that will be the iconic Joker cover of this decade.

39 is my favourite joker cover of their run...but $30K...y'ouch.

Death of the Family has some nice pieces, too.

Personally, I'm partial to this given the sheer creepiness, though obviously I'm biased!

NsZjsv1Z_2403161326561gpadd.jpg

Just read that trade over the weekend. This was the best image in the entire thing. Totally agree with you. Congrats!

Thanks. The whole book was pretty creepy, but that image in particular was piercing. Wife hates it lol.

If I was looking to get what I thought was the ultimate Joker cover, I'd have to go with Batman #451. This image by Breyfogle is the epitome of what the Joker is all about, IMO.

We were talking about this decade :gossip:

I do agree that 451 is fantastic though. That was one of my first Batman books too, so nostalgia is strong for that one.

880 is a classic joker cover. here it is with a little animation :D

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/comicsalliance.com/files/2015/07/detective-comics-880.gif

anyone know if the original was done by hand or digital?

I'm pretty sure somebody told me it's digital. Of course I may just be saying that to throw off other collectors looking for the original lol

I kind of expect it'll clear 15-20k somehow even though none of his art has ever come close at auction.

You know, i've been ragging on greg about his pricing but looking at some modern (last 4 or 5 years) era art, I see reps have (at least) doubled prices on many less popular artists new work over the last 6 months or year. I don't want to name names but Artists who have work sitting at 2500 a cover have newer no more desirable work listed at 4-5k now. If the work isn't selling at 2500 what makes people think 5k will be the trick? art that didn't sell at 5k are now listing 10k.

If this trend continues this hobby has officially jumped the shark, imo.

I kind of expect it'll clear 15-20k somehow even though none of his art has ever come close at auction.

You know, i've been ragging on greg about his pricing but looking at some modern (last 4 or 5 years) era art, I see reps have (at least) doubled prices on many less popular artists new work over the last 6 months or year. I don't want to name names but Artists who have work sitting at 2500 a cover have newer no more desirable work listed at 4-5k now. If the work isn't selling at 2500 what makes people think 5k will be the trick? art that didn't sell at 5k are now listing 10k.

If this trend continues this hobby has officially jumped the shark, imo.

Much truth to what you say, there is.

But the hobby is what you make it. You don't have to buy those artists at that level or from that era. I have turned around my habits and am consolidating, but I got a nice (tiny) Moebius and a wonderful Sergio Toppi in the last two years. So when I could no longer find satisfaction in Tony Harris, Steve McNiven or other awesome artists that I had been collecting I found myself drawn to other types of pieces to look at. I now rush to Scott Eder (who used to be my first choice when he was a superhero art salesman back in the day) to see what cool and wonderful things I can learn about and consider buying. I still hit Bechara and Albert and see what's what but I needed a shift of focus to continue on.

But I will be 50 this year. I bought a Sandman page out of CBG around 1990 so I know I have been in it since at least then.

doh!

Or maybe we have jumped the shark. That may be so, but if it means cheaper Winsor McCay then I am all for it!

That's nice. Will it reach $30k?

Will it even reach 6-8? Judging by how many years the other covers sat at these prices (until yesterday), it's unlikely. It'll be interesting to see nevertheless.

It's pass $8k. How far will it go for considering is one of the better looking Capullo Spawn out there ? Plus... Not too many come out to the open market.

Edited by Matches_Malone

That's nice. Will it reach $30k?

Will it even reach 6-8? Judging by how many years the other covers sat at these prices (until yesterday), it's unlikely. It'll be interesting to see nevertheless.

It's pass $8k. How far will it go for considering is one of the better looking Capullo Spawn out there ? Plus... Not too many come out to the open market.

I don't think it's one of the better covers, but they're all pretty good.

I'd be comfortable in this price range for a capullo/miki spawn cover I really wanted. I wonder what a nice capullo/mcfarlane cover will go for.

This is all very interesting to watch from the sidelines. My opinion doesn't stray too wildly from some of the ones already put forward. Collecting markets generally have a tolerance toward pricing tactics to squeeze and leave as little money on the table, though I have to wonder if there will ever be a tolerance to pricing OA at tomorrow's, or even ten years from now pricing, today.

Movie prop and vintage toy preproduction markets quickly come to mind as retaining similar dynamics, but lean more into a wayward direction of established examples where price resets happen when a piece reappears decades later. At times, a well-known sculptors more modern works may carry an immediate appreciation since their legacy works are locked-up in collections.

If an artist uses a dartboard method of hitting a ceiling price as a way to preserve the integrity of their work, in a similar vein to artists who won't sign at shows for eBay profiteers, perhaps donating the way Watterson did with this work that now resides at OSU might be a more noble direction, but then there's a trailing concern that the artists own self-importance and confidence in their work may not align with that of the desired collection curator.

FYI: I believe this just went up for $9500 and was almost immediately put On Hold. http://www.romitaman.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=20029&ArtistId=1447

Correct. Comic Art Fan's dealer search still shows the $9500 price when you search for and click on it in the results.

http://www.comicartfans.com/ForSaleDetails.asp?ArtId=523433

You all probably already know this, but just because it was priced at 9,500 and is marked on hold, it does not mean that was the price it changed hands at (assuming it wasn't a trade)

Malvin

FYI: I believe this just went up for $9500 and was almost immediately put On Hold. http://www.romitaman.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=20029&ArtistId=1447

Somebody jumped on it quick.

It was available for a couple of days; and its been available before as has the Jim Lee piece. I cant remember where, if it was with Mike or elsewhere.

I think the 148 is actually a really good cover - yes - I'm the under bidder at the moment. Given the flurry of deals that just happened in the last 12 hours I may need to drop the chase, but to my mind its a good cover.

It was not available for a couple days. I checked Mike's site and then checked it again after my puppy class( I am trying to get my new Frenchie pup to stop ting on the floor) and it was posted and gone before I had a chance. =)

102-the-usual-suspects-quotes.gif

It was not available for a couple days. I checked Mike's site and then checked it again after my puppy class( I am trying to get my new Frenchie pup to stop ting on the floor) and it was posted and gone before I had a chance. =)

You had the 17th and part of the 18th to get it. But seriously the biggest Whatever ever...

Too bad, bad dog.

Again it was around for a long time somewhere before ? Artists choice? Moy ? unsold but now they seem to be hotcakes.

You had the 17th and part of the 18th to get it. But seriously the biggest Whatever ever...

Too bad, bad dog.

Again it was around for a long time somewhere before ? Artists choice? Moy ? unsold but now they seem to be hotcakes.

The internet is a visual medium....please choose from the following to properly emote...

c0ee729874c47e9215513ee39d1a6996.jpg

VW6Em.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Nope that is incorrect. It sold on the 17th. Just splitting hairs here. I actually I owned the cover. Who do you think got the overlay made for it. Got it from Danny Miki and Jeff or Tony did the logo for me years ago. I wish I kept this one AGH