• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Capullo selling his Batman artwork online
1 1

296 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Anything is possible, sure, but looking to any of a handful of one to one sales, perhaps to a small pool, is far less helpful in determining broader market value and acceptance of those values the way that public secondary or tertiary movement in a sale or auction setting will.

FWIW a panel page sold at auction for $4.2k in March 2017, discussed here:

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/03/17/market-report-march-2017-comiclink-featured-auction/

55 minutes ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

and Kelley Jones

Yeah, he's great. I was thinking of guys doing current/recent work but Miller and Jones qualify as standouts of course. 

17 hours ago, comix4fun said:
17 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure I get that. Why would McFarlane INKS on Capullo garner that much of a premium? Even on Spawn?

I don't get it either, beyond the fact that in the vacuum of "All-McFarlane" Spawn artwork people will pay a premium for Spawn artwork that he inked. The prices and valuations on such pieces have been out-sized (over and above Capullo-alone pieces) for well over a decade. I guess the heart wants what the heart wants and if it wants Spawn done in the hand of its creator it will take inks if that's all they can get. 

I'm not too familiar with Capullo's Spawn work (I know he had a very long run, but I don't collect the title)...but, when McFarlane inks another artist, from what I've seen, he tends to dominate the piece and it looks very McFarlane-y (NM87 for example).  Couple that with the lack of true 100% McFarlane Spawn pieces and there's your premium. 

18 hours ago, Bronty said:

very reminiscent of Gene Colan

It's always interesting to see the differences in interpretation. I can see Colan, but honestly I'm getting a Paul Pope vibe, personally.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

It's always interesting to see the differences in interpretation. I can see Colan, but honestly I'm getting a Paul Pope vibe, personally.

In reality, I think Stegman is importing his interpretation of Wolverine to Batman, which actually works!

3 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

I'm not too familiar with Capullo's Spawn work (I know he had a very long run, but I don't collect the title)...but, when McFarlane inks another artist, from what I've seen, he tends to dominate the piece and it looks very McFarlane-y (NM87 for example).  Couple that with the lack of true 100% McFarlane Spawn pieces and there's your premium. 

There are three McFarlane Spawn pages in the current C- Link auction that should tell us something. Two of them are Splashes.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

28 minutes ago, Lobstrosity said:

Capullo pages (with McFarlane inks) that is

Yeah, the auction listings are a bit misleading....in the search, no Capullo listings.   Click on Todd and it takes you to the Spawn pages.  

Primary Artist:  Todd McFarlane

Secondary: Greg Capullo

Only when you read the actual listing does it tell you that Capullo is the penciller and Todd the inker:

This is rarely available art from a Todd McFarlane Spawn story. McFarlane was the finisher on this story with pencils by the equally talented Greg Capullo. 

I don't follow Spawn or Capullo much but I think Todd's already lofty status and Capullo's rising star due to Batman is combining to make the Spawn page more attractive. I am curious - are there any images of what Capullo's pencils under the McF Spawn inks look like? Were they tight or more loose so Todd could run wild?

14 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

I don't follow Spawn or Capullo much but I think Todd's already lofty status and Capullo's rising star due to Batman is combining to make the Spawn page more attractive. I am curious - are there any images of what Capullo's pencils under the McF Spawn inks look like? Were they tight or more loose so Todd could run wild?

No idea.  But the pages in the auction certainly look like Todd ran wild. 

21 hours ago, Bill C said:

I very much doubt this (if you're talking say the next decade or less). Make no mistake, I pray you are right. I'll be back in the game buying silver age art left and right. But even if massive collections get released on a regular basis, I think you may be surprised at how the stuff gets absorbed.

"B" level silver age Infantino Flash prices dropping say maybe 50%? I'm grabbing a large shopping cart and going to town.

Have you seen this?