• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Capullo selling his Batman artwork online
1 1

296 posts in this topic

I think part of the reason people's jaws are dropping is that many fans from the 90s know him as the guy who took over drawing Spawn when McFarlane left. Fair or not, he gets lumped in with Klaus Janson (DD), Erik Larsen (ASM), Art Thibert, Whilce Portico (X-Men), Sal Buscema (Thor) as 'replacement artists' fans got stuck with after the fan-favorite left a historic run (Miller, McFarlane, Lee, Simonson)

Regarding pricing, it is fair to say many of the published pieces we all own are a result of the current owner spending an amount that no one else was willing to spend. There are exceptions obviously, but if you buy something from a dealer at the price marked (not immediately after listing...you know what I mean), then everyone else has passed...if you win an auction you beat the rest of us...etc. I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten PMs or emails telling me what a great piece I just bought or how lucky I was to get something when I thank my correspondent but remind them that no one else bought the piece and it was available to all for a while.

So in a sense we all overpay, often. Mr. Capullo seems smart to capture a few sales at a time and optimize his return. And the money mends the ouchie of letting a moment of your life go. :eyeroll:

I'm a great fan of Capullo, but yes, I do find it quite unrealistic that most pieces on his website would reach such prices in auction.

I've got a Galactus page drawn by Capullo in the early 1990's, I can't help but wondering how he would price that piece if it was available on his website hm:insane:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1213758

Still, 2.5k for this old cover does not seem expensive, if you're into such pieces - I like the cover, also details like the stars etc on the inside of the cape:

Preggo-Cover29.jpg

The Spawn splash pages are truly awesome and look like cover quality (full page splash). If I was the owner, I'd probably not price them much differently, ok, maybe the 90k piece :grin:

A good friend of mine bought a full Batman splash page from Sale's DV (might have been LH) for around $5,000 in the last 6-8 months. That's 1/3 the asking price of the splashes I saw on Capullo's site.

An A level splash? If so I think that would be a pretty great price to get one at. I think $5k is about the going rate nowadays for a B level DV/LH.

At any rate I think we are all anxious too see a piece from the run hit auction to see what Mr. Market thinks.

A good friend of mine bought a full Batman splash page from Sale's DV (might have been LH) for around $5,000 in the last 6-8 months. That's 1/3 the asking price of the splashes I saw on Capullo's site.

An A level splash? If so I think that would be a pretty great price to get one at. I think $5k is about the going rate nowadays for a B level DV/LH.

At any rate I think we are all anxious too see a piece from the run hit auction to see what Mr. Market thinks.

Yeah it was pretty great, giant Batman image, full page. It was from Dark Victory. Spectacular really. Probably about 6 months ago.

DV values are comparable to TLH? I LOVE DV, but I thought THL was *far* better received?

As with everything, depends on content and characters.

If you are offered a full page splash with a giant Batman image from DV, it's going to sell rather quickly and for a premium.

TLH use to have a premium of DV, but I haven't seen that with recent sales. The older Halloween special works (e.g. Ghosts) use to have a big discount over TLH/DV but I have seen that discount gap really close up.

Malvin

I think part of the reason people's jaws are dropping is that many fans from the 90s know him as the guy who took over drawing Spawn when McFarlane left. Fair or not, he gets lumped in with Klaus Janson (DD), Erik Larsen (ASM), Art Thibert, Whilce Portico (X-Men), Sal Buscema (Thor) as 'replacement artists' fans got stuck with after the fan-favorite left a historic run (Miller, McFarlane, Lee, Simonson)

This is true, but as a huge Spawn fan, I will say that Capullo eventually established himself as THE artist of the title. His level of ability took off like a rocketship during his run.

You have to remember that McFarlane, with the exception of inking and penciling a few covers here and there, pretty much gave up after issue 15. Then it was Capullo's ship.

I don't see how anyone could knock his work. Anyone who says that Jim Lee or David Finch or Marc Silverstri blow him away...I just don't see that at all. They are all excellent artists with a ton of talent, skill, and ability.

Yeah it was pretty great, giant Batman image, full page. It was from Dark Victory. Spectacular really. Probably about 6 months ago.

Good for him. A nice panel or splash for LH/DV is in the top 3 on my list of acquisitions at this point.

Edited by NinjaSealed

I think LH and DV at this point are neck and neck for sure and as Malvin said even the earlier Halloween stuff is closing the gaps. For me personally I value LH/DV equal and see the earlier stuff as slightly less desirable but still great.

Yes, yes it would. $5k plus easily. Is it yours? I was actually just admiring it on CAF. :cloud9:

yes sir....framed and on my wall.... :cloud9:

the very next page (which i have been trying to find for some time) is now on heritage. :censored:

Yes, yes it would. $5k plus easily. Is it yours? I was actually just admiring it on CAF. :cloud9:

yes sir....framed and on my wall.... :cloud9:

the very next page (which i have been trying to find for some time) is now on heritage. :censored:

You should go for it! :baiting:

Has there ever been a Tim Sale appreciation thread on the board? If I could choose a previous Artist/writer combo to produce another story Sale/Loeb would be in the top 3.

They are currently working on Captain America: White...

Malvin

Has there ever been a Tim Sale appreciation thread on the board? If I could choose a previous Artist/writer combo to produce another story Sale/Loeb would be in the top 3.

Malvin

That's complete. The collected hardcover is sitting on my floor.

Malvin

That's complete. The collected hardcover is sitting on my floor.

Heh heh, thats shows how out of touch I am with current comics!