• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,135 posts in this topic

Hey fellas,

Been a while since I've posted. I'm making some room, and running a number of sales in the coming weeks. There'll be a large collection of higher grade Charlton 1960s/70s war books coming up in the next while, plus a signiicant run of late silver and bronze war books in high grades. Starting off, though, I'm selling off a collection of Men's Adventure magazines (colloquially known as 'sweats') from the late 1950s into the 60s. Seriously weird in some cases, but great art by Norm Saunders, Earl Norem, Mort Kunstler, etc. Take a look and hope that all are well! - Shep

Men's Adventure Mags

Finally got around to reading the War Report in the 49th Edition of the OSPG. A great piece that I always enjoy and this year's tribute to Russ Heath was excellent. Perhaps a focus on the greatest war comic artist, Joe Kubert, can be considered next year? Looking at the top 50 War books, there was no surprise that Army 83 comes out on top- the Action Comics 1 of the War genre. SSWS 84 moved up a place while SSWS 90 stayed put. Both books should place ahead of the Rock prototype issues. I was surprised to see Sgt. Rock 302 on the list but no G.I. Combat 138 and Our Fighting Forces 123. These Bronze Age keys having the 1st appearance and beginning of the Losers run belong on the list and would definitely place higher than Sgt. Rock 302. Maybe these two books will be considered for next year? That said, kudos to the guys for the great work on this year's War Report. 

Question for you guys:

Have a customer who is a disabled vet (Iraq, 2005) who just told me a story about his dad throwing away his comics in the 80s. The one he's looking to get is a back up story in an issue of Sgt. Rock where the crux of the story is "I do know that it had one of those other stories of an Afrika Korp Soldier smoking a cigarette near a burnt out tank and the fuel had leaked and dried up and when he flicked it to the ground, it ignited the fuel and killed him."

Any ideas, guys? I had a full run of this in April but more than half the Rocks have sold. Regardless, I'll be digging into them soon to see if I can help the guy.

•  

On 10/12/2019 at 6:52 PM, HouseofComics.Com said:

Question for you guys:

Have a customer who is a disabled vet (Iraq, 2005) who just told me a story about his dad throwing away his comics in the 80s. The one he's looking to get is a back up story in an issue of Sgt. Rock where the crux of the story is "I do know that it had one of those other stories of an Afrika Korp Soldier smoking a cigarette near a burnt out tank and the fuel had leaked and dried up and when he flicked it to the ground, it ignited the fuel and killed him."

Any ideas, guys? I had a full run of this in April but more than half the Rocks have sold. Regardless, I'll be digging into them soon to see if I can help the guy.

•  

@HouseofComics.Com Is it "Detour" from Sgt. Rock #346?

RCO023_1485996057.thumb.jpg.d78e573bc67651a7729c9b08582edee4.jpgRCO024_1485996057.thumb.jpg.ae93497e2e3be59a720e45e238cbc94d.jpgRCO025_1485996057.thumb.jpg.a8655c81351ab9fe7babd232c7c23bd2.jpgRCO026_1485996057.thumb.jpg.05e97d9e05fef3ae38b2ed3217ff4660.jpgRCO027_1485996057.thumb.jpg.64da6152789c4337904fd7a57f93837d.jpg

Edited by creaturefan95
war is hell

I never knew DC war. My dad bought me the cheapest comics he could find to read and they were Charlton and Yang. 
I bought a NM copy of Yang 1 last year just for sentimental reasons. It will probably be one of the last copies of my 
collection I will part with. Its not worth much, but those Charlton and Yang books to me are priceless to me.

On 1/18/2020 at 9:27 PM, fastballspecial said:

I never knew DC war. My dad bought me the cheapest comics he could find to read and they were Charlton and Yang. 
I bought a NM copy of Yang 1 last year just for sentimental reasons. It will probably be one of the last copies of my 
collection I will part with. Its not worth much, but those Charlton and Yang books to me are priceless to me.

DC War was all I saw on the newstand as a kid during the late '70s. Woolworth was the only place I could find Charltons back then and for some reason, war comics were never available.