• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,135 posts in this topic

We will see the 40th Anniversary of the Rock and Unknown Soldier getting their own "official" titles in 2017. Hard to believe its been 40 years! These were the war titles that started me off.

1977 was the year DC Comics finally gave it's two most popular war characters their very own books.

Happy 40th Anniversary to Sgt. Rock and the Unknown Soldier!

Best,

John

New titles in 2017?!? Has that been announced yet? I'd love to see it. I'm also curious what Frank Miller meant when we said he was going to do a WWII project for DC.

if they do launch a new Rock title, I'm betting they will time it with his appearance on Legends of Tomorrow, which they have been teasing for over a year now.

New titles in 2017?!? Has that been announced yet? I'd love to see it. I'm also curious what Frank Miller meant when we said he was going to do a WWII project for DC.

if they do launch a new Rock title, I'm betting they will time it with his appearance on Legends of Tomorrow, which they have been teasing for over a year now.

I haven't heard anything about new titles but would love to see it. There's so much that DC can do with Rock...

While this post is about OAAW 83 being overvalued, it's as much about idea that collectors will eventually stop collecting war comics, including books from the war genre's last great decade - the Bronze Age. Here's a link to the post:

https://www.comicbookdaily.com/collecting-community/overvalued-overstreet/army-war-83/

I disagree with the notion that war comics will no longer be collectable or as the writer says "fading." Comic book collectors have been and will continue to collect war comics. The Bronze Age gave us the last great era of war books and they will continue to be more accessible in desirable condition to future collectors as SA books become more difficult to find in affordable prices. The Bronze Age war genre also gave us the last great era of fantastic art by Joe Kubert, Jerry Grandenetti, Sam Glanzman, and Russ Heath (to mention a few). Future comic book collectors will seek out the spectacular artwork these legends produced in the war comics. Sadly, the untold stories generated during wars experienced by future generations will be told - some of those stories will appear in the comic book medium. With that said, it is important to understand that the war comic has evolved over time - from the first U.S.S. Stevens story in the beginning of the Bronze Age to the most recent Unknown Soldier Vertigo run - the war genre that has honored the heroes who have served our nation in the most challenging times in American History has also become a concurring tale of anti-war sentiment. The horrors of war as told through these stories have demonstrated how necessary it was to avoid wars. The "spirit" of the Rock's comic books, throughout the Silver and Bronze Ages best represents the experiences of the "greatest generation" - a generation and era that will remain accessible through films, books - including those books that use drawings with words to tell the war stories. Future collectors will seek out these stories as told and drawn from, in some cases, the war veterans themselves.

Best,

John

That's an interesting read, thanks for posting! (thumbs u I also think there will always be people that will collect war comics, and DC war in particular. There won't be a whole lot, but those that do will be devoted to the search and collecting.

In the meantime, here's a PRICELESS (to me) issue of OAAW 83. I was lucky to snag it years ago. ;)

:acclaim:

:fear:

<a  href=002-18.jpg' alt='002-18.jpg'>

While this post is about OAAW 83 being overvalued, it's as much about idea that collectors will eventually stop collecting war comics, including books from the war genre's last great decade - the Bronze Age. Here's a link to the post:

https://www.comicbookdaily.com/collecting-community/overvalued-overstreet/army-war-83/

I disagree with the notion that war comics will no longer be collectable or as the writer says "fading." Comic book collectors have been and will continue to collect war comics. The Bronze Age gave us the last great era of war books and they will continue to be more accessible in desirable condition to future collectors as SA books become more difficult to find in affordable prices. The Bronze Age war genre also gave us the last great era of fantastic art by Joe Kubert, Jerry Grandenetti, Sam Glanzman, and Russ Heath (to mention a few). Future comic book collectors will seek out the spectacular artwork these legends produced in the war comics. Sadly, the untold stories generated during wars experienced by future generations will be told - some of those stories will appear in the comic book medium. With that said, it is important to understand that the war comic has evolved over time - from the first U.S.S. Stevens story in the beginning of the Bronze Age to the most recent Unknown Soldier Vertigo run - the war genre that has honored the heroes who have served our nation in the most challenging times in American History has also become a concurring tale of anti-war sentiment. The horrors of war as told through these stories have demonstrated how necessary it was to avoid wars. The "spirit" of the Rock's comic books, throughout the Silver and Bronze Ages best represents the experiences of the "greatest generation" - a generation and era that will remain accessible through films, books - including those books that use drawings with words to tell the war stories. Future collectors will seek out these stories as told and drawn from, in some cases, the war veterans themselves.

Best,

John

War comics will always be relevant, I think the Author missed the mark.

Westerns are another story though.

Best,

John

War comics will always be relevant, I think the Author missed the mark.

Westerns are another story though.

It's interesting how some have reacted to OAAW 83's place in Overstreet's top 20 SA keys. Must boggle the mind for some who can't see beyond "superhero books are the only keys." I agree with you about the author missing the point and it's just another example of those refusing to accept the fact that the war comic is here to stay.

Grabbed this one off Ebay and didn't realize until I got it that it came from a boardie (Thirdgreenham - I recognized his name when I saw it on his Forest City Coins business card).

Besides being an Oakland (I hope), and the fact that I love the pre-Kirby Losers covers where Kubert works the logo into the art, I was sold on this book by the CGC mis-labelling of the issue. I don't think I'll get the label changed, I love the novelty of having it incorrect!

Thanks Mr. Greenham, I loved reading the family history on your webpage, and thanks for the stamps!

x3x3f8.jpg

On 3/1/2017 at 8:45 PM, Black_Adam said:

Grabbed this one off Ebay and didn't realize until I got it that it came from a boardie (Thirdgreenham - I recognized his name when I saw it on his Forest City Coins business card).

Besides being an Oakland (I hope), and the fact that I love the pre-Kirby Losers covers where Kubert works the logo into the art, I was sold on this book by the CGC mis-labelling of the issue. I don't think I'll get the label changed, I love the novelty of having it incorrect!

Thanks Mr. Greenham, I loved reading the family history on your webpage, and thanks for the stamps!

x3x3f8.jpg

Great copy! It's an "Andy-Pedigree" copy! 

8 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

Weird War was one of my favorites growing up in the 70s. The series always had the best covers - War and Horror, how could you go wrong? - great pickup! (thumbsu

Thanks Adam(thumbsu 

Interestingly, before drawing all the great war stuff with DC Kubert did horror stuff back in the early 50s so this series was right up his alley. 

On 2017-03-01 at 8:45 PM, Black_Adam said:

x3x3f8.jpg

Hey, thanks for the purchase!! Glad you're happy. (thumbsu