• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KRYPTON on SYFY Channel
2 2

164 posts in this topic

Before Krypton began filming, executive producer David S. Goyer reportedly discussed a long-term plan with series star Blake Ritson, which would see an epic story play out over five or more seasons. Ritson, who plays Brainiac in the series, told ComicBook.com that he is excited to see where the show goes from here, and hopes that SYFY will keep them on the air long enough to successfully play the plot out.

"When I, when I was, the way this all started for me, so two or three years ago I was, I worked with David Goyer for a number of years ago [on Da Vinci's Demons], and he told me about Krypton and this amazing, ambitious show he was developing and I always thought, 'fantastic, can't wait to see it.' He phoned me, we had a chat, he said, 'how would you like to be the big bad and the voice of Rao?' and he spelt out very, very loosely how he imagined every season for the next five, six seasons would play out. Whether or not we get there, I don't know, but he has shown me an architecture of many seasons to come which, if we get there, is properly insane and will be one of the most ambitious shows of this type that has ever existed. So, I will be hugely excited if we keep on that track."

What if Superman never existed? Set two generations before the destruction of Superman’s home planet, Krypton follows Seg-El (Cameron Cuffe), the legendary Man of Steel’s grandfather, as a young man who fights to save his home planet from destruction.

29 minutes ago, Antpark said:

Seeing as how this is on SyFy, that's an extremely optimistic, yet highly unlikely, plan.

It will be interesting to see how far the network allows this to proceed forward. Even with decent ratings.

The episode followed Seg (Cameron Cuffe) and Adam Strange (Shaun Sipos) still being stuck on Colu, which is complicated by the arrival of Lobo (Emmett J. Scanlan). As Lobo goes on to reveal, he made his way to the planet in an attempt to kill Brainiac (Blake Ritson), as revenge for him bottling up Lobo's home planet. The problem, of course, was that Seg killed Brainiac midway through last week's episode, and the villain's consciousness had essentially been uploaded into him.

This led to a tussle between Seg and Lobo, in which Seg did a very specific fighting move before throwing the first punch. Seg essentially "reloaded" his arms before the fight, which Cuffe confirmed to be an homage to Henry Cavill in Mission: Impossible - Fallout.

While Cavill is best known for playing the DC Extended Universe's Superman, he got quite a lot of attention for his scene-stealing role in Fallout! -- including his improvised fighting moves.

I was not a fan of that Lobo design first advertised. But man, did they nail the character as part of Krypton.

That dedicated series could be quite interesting. Especially if the creative team is open to using the more powerful DC characters.

This season has been incredible so far.

5 REASONS WHY KRYPTON IS THE MOST SURPRISING COMIC BOOK PREQUEL ON TV

1. THE CHARACTERS

2. THE VILLAINS

3. IT REINVENTS ITSELF

4. DEEP PULLS FROM DC COMICS MYTHOLOGY

5. IT STEPPED OUT OF SUPERMAN’S SHADOW

Perhaps the most surprising element of the series is the way it escaped Superman’s shadow. Sure, the series used his cape as a countdown timer and the primary icon of the first season, but in altering the timeline to favor Zod, it also allowed the series to become its own thing. Instead of a tale of Superman’s grandpappy growing up on the mean streets of Kandor, it is a complex epic of competing philosophies for the soul of a planet. It is also the story of two buds trying to get home. We’re also going to assume from developments in Nyssa’s story that it is also about how Jor-El’s mother influenced her iconoclastic son — yeah, we think Kor-Vex is really Jor-El. And now that we’re talking about families, it is also the most deeply realized depiction of the House of Zod to ever grace the screen with three generations facing off and trying to define what they really stand for.

All of it adds up to a series that is far more interesting than a mere Superman prequel. In order to get there, it had to let Superman go (at least a little bit) and, to be honest, the show is better for focusing on the characters and stories it can put on the screen. Now, we are invested in the characters and their immediate plights. Re-establishing the original timeline is nowhere near as interesting as watching Seg and Adam get one over on Lobo or Jayna’s journey back to Kandor.

5 definitely comes across for me, in that the show is not forced to deliver set stories in order to honor Superman's lore and history. It just comes naturally.

Season 2 has really been a fun adventure.

• Brainiac as a mind-twisting cyborg
  • Lobo as an insane intergalactic bounty hunter seeking revenge
  • Zod as a manipulative megalomaniac