• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KRYPTON on SYFY Channel
2 2

164 posts in this topic

'Krypton' Showrunner Explains Why the Show Matters to the DC Universe

When FOX announced Gotham, it seemed obvious where the show could go; like Smallville, it would follow the lives of heroes and villains familiar to comic book readers and fans of the character in movies and TV, ultimately building to an inspirational ending where Bruce first dons the cape and cowl as the Dark Knight.

For Krypton? Well... the ending everyone expects -- that moment when Superman's father sends his baby into space with a world dying around him -- is kind of a downer ending. What do you do with a story where the end is "Explosion -- everybody dies?" Well, according to show-runner Cameron Welsh, that is not the problem some fans are assuming it is.

"We haven't really seen much of this world before and it's just this open book and allows us to tell a story that hasn't been told," Welsh told reporters during a recent set visit. "There's still plenty more Superman stories to tell, but there's already been a ton of those and there will continue to be. Here's a fresh opportunity to tell this -- to explore a part of the DC universe which is super important, and it's relatively unexplored. It's less about not having Superman but more about it being a prequel is something that we've discussed as being a challenge that we face."

Even with a general interest in Krypton -- and the fan demand for more content set on the world following the release of Man of Steel, in which the Krypton material was some of the movie's best stuff -- Welsh is aware that some people will still be confused by the high concept.

"I don't know if it's necessarily the same with Gotham, but there's probably this notion that part of the audience goes, 'Krypton, I guess that's the show about the planet that Superman came from and that planet blows up so I kind of know how that story ends. Do I really need to watch this? I've lots of other things to do,'" Welsh joked. "So the way we've sought to address that challenge is that in story and this is where, when we talk about DC's involvement, not only in giving us access to everything we've got but Geoff Johns himself has been a part of the show and he's a brilliant mind and has some brilliant ideas and very early on we talked about exactly that problem, about the prequel concern. The way we've addressed it in story, we have Adam Strange comes from present day Earth, arrives on Krypton to deliver this warning to Seg to let him know that history as we know it is under threat and somebody is coming to try and change the course of history, change the timeline, and prevent Superman's birth. The show very quickly goes from being about this look into the past into a show that has stakes in the present day."

Blake Ritson is somewhat unique among the actors on Krypton: fans already have a lot of baggage for his character, and a specific expectation for what they might see.

Ritson plays Brainiac, an alien intelligence that moves throughout the universe collecting worlds. Inspired largely by Geoff Johns's take on the character (which was adapted directly into the animated movie Superman Unbound, Brainiac is a character who is always "the next villain" that any given version of the movies was going to use, and has appeared in live action on Smallville. So which of the various takes from the comics is he working with most closely -- and what makes his Brainiac different than the various live-action and animated versions already seen before?

"There are many, many iterations of Braniac out there, so certain things I can probably tell you, and certain things I have to be a little coy about," Ritson told reporters during a recent set visit. "I suppose the first thing I should say, is this is a Braniac you have never seen on screen before. This is a very different. I think the only time he's ever been in live action is Smallville, where he was effectively self-aware AI, and in that version, he appeared as a 20th Century human professor. This one will not be like that. He will be infinitely more terrifying."

"This one is the full-fledged collector of worlds, so this version of Braniac is a hyper-intelligent alien android who is busy traversing the universe in his gigantic metal skull ship," Ritson teased. "He is effectively in the process of cataloging and absorbing all of creation. He views each world as a form of a receptacle of intelligence, and he's got to have it all. He rips a whole city from each planet before destroying it, or not, and then moves on. And the idea is, he then miniaturizes [the city], puts it into a tiny bottle on his ship, and sucks the information out of it -- So he is basically in the process of becoming creation."

COLLIDER Review: A Compelling Exploration of Superman’s Home Planet

krypton-series-image-slice-600x200.jpg

When the news first hit in late 2014 that Syfy would have a series focusing on the life of Superman’s grandfather Seg-El on his home planet Krypton, it was met with yawns. While the Krypton-based sequences of Man of Steel were among the best parts of the movie, it was questionable if a series about power struggles on a planet that we all know would explode is a concept that would work.

Fortunately, thanks to a likable cast, some beautiful imagery, a slightly retooled concept and a high-quality production, Krypton exceeds those initial impressions and comes out firmly on the side of being something good.

As a long-time Superman fan, particularly with an interest in Superman on television, I am ultimately very pleased with Krypton. There are references to aspects of several eras of Superman comics past that die-hard fans will get, but they’re integrated in a way that even those who aren’t familiar with the canon will be able to follow. The musical score by Pinar Toprak is majestic, and there are a few musical cues that may inspire viewers to hit rewind and listen again.

I will warn, though, as much as I enjoyed the show’s pilot and subsequent two episodes, your mileage may vary once you get to Episodes 4 and 5, which is what keeps me from giving this show a perfect rating. Those two episodes aren’t as Seg-focused and seem to put more of a priority on setting up the second half of the season. They also feel awfully claustrophobic, a down side to the series always taking place either indoors or in snow. They also seem to be more dour than the first few episodes that include a bit more humor. Hopefully, the producers of Krypton will find a way to take Seg & company to less closed-in environments with time, which might also allow them a chance to take a deeper dive into DC Comics lore as the series progresses.

Does Krypton fly? Absolutely. Syfy, Warner Bros., and DC took a big swing with this project, but it seems like the time and money were good investments. This Superman fan is happy with how it’s starting, at the very least, and there’s a lot of potential here.

Rating: ★★★★ — Very Good

THE MARY SUE Review: Syfy’s Krypton Is the Take on Superman/Supergirl Lore We Need Right Now

NUP_180823_2779.jpg

I’ll admit it. I was skeptical. When I first heard that Syfy was making a Superman prequel series, my first thought was, “Why?” Now that I’ve had a chance to screen the pilot, I need to eat a whole bunch of crow. Not only is Krypton a good show, but it’s a take on Superman/Supergirl that we need right now.

Krypton tells the story of Superman’s grandfather, Seg-El (Cameron Cuffe), as a young man at a critical point in Krypton’s history. Seg-El was born into a revolutionary, Kryptonian Science Guild family, in Kandor City, and when he was a young boy, the city was taken over by a masked ruler known as The Voice of Rao. Meanwhile, his grandfather, Val-El, had some bonkers ideas. Like that Krypton “isn’t alone in the universe.” Ideas that would surely challenge any kind of faith-based tyrannical stronghold, which is why Val is put to death…

There’s another element to the story that’s really cool that I don’t want to get into because, again, spoilers. Let’s just say it involves Seg in the back alleys of Kandor City…talking to a dude in a baseball cap and a hoodie? Yup. That dude gets Seg involved in a mission that will ultimately (hopefully) not only save Krypton, but save his family name and future. He might not be the last of his line after all! (I mean, Superman fans know he’s not, but just go with it).

I would highly recommend giving it a whirl. If you’re even slightly familiar with or interested in Superman or Supergirl, Krypton has a lot to offer: great performances, a unique social relevance, and a freedom in its storytelling that is the product of it being on a cable network. And if you’re a big fan of our favorite Kryptonian Super-family, then it’s just hella fun.

DEADLINE Review: Syfy Superhero Drama Swings For The Fences With New Take On Superman Narrative

At first glance, Syfy’s forthcoming Krypton gives the impression that it is a prequel to one of the most iconic superheroes in the history of comic books: Superman. You can approach the drama as a prequel but it seems better to come at it as standalone series. Bringing its own personality into the DCEU, Krypton provides some deep cuts into the Superman narrative to give us a different kind of origin story.

With its look, tone, and approach, the series itself blatantly works hard to set itself apart from its DCEU peers by taking a familiar story and looking at it from a different angle with a deliberate, slow-burning pace. And from the pilot and through the first five episodes, it seems like it’s saying, “We’re not going to crossover with the other shows.” The approach isn’t totally fresh and new, but it has legs that will catch the attention of fans because of the new take on the iconic hero. Whether or not it can sustain interest beyond the first five episodes is a different story.

Admittingly, Superman isn’t necessarily at the top of my list when it comes to superhero franchises — but that doesn’t mean I won’t discount stories about him. He is an icon and an all-American institution that is an integral staple when it comes to the tale hero’s journey. Even so, how many times can Kal-El’s story be rebooted, retold and reimagined before it becomes excessive? Krypton attempts something different to sidestep regurgitated superhero TV fare and although it doesn’t fail, it hasn’t proven itself enough to succeed. Five episodes in and it’s still difficult to invest in the characters and their stories that lack a solid direction. It feels like its trying to find a balance to please Superman purists while trying to appeal to fans that lean more towards The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow. Hardcore fans are looking for ownership while the masses are looking for something entertaining and worth their time. Krypton is struggling to find that balance.

The Star Trek-meets-Game of Thrones-meets-King Arthur narrative pushing Seg-El’s journey can very well lead to a compelling drama that eventually leads us to the birth of Superman — but we’ll be waiting a long time for that. The prequel/spinoff/reimagining is an ambitious approach but it’s off to a one-note start. If you have that kind of patience and a loyalty to the Man of Steel, Krypton will make you want to build your own Fortress of Solitude. If not, this superhero series might be your Kryptonite.

CNN Review: 'Krypton' takes off as Superman-themed Syfy prequel

At a glance "Krypton" looks like this year's version of "Gotham," inasmuch as each of these comic-book prequels has as big donut hole in its plot, structured around a marquee character (there, Batman; here, Superman) who doesn't appear as we've come to know him.

In a pleasant surprise, "Krypton" creator David S. Goyer (as a screenwriter, a veteran of "Man of Steel" and the "Dark Knight" trilogy) has infused the show not only with a dense, time-bending mythology but upped the ante -- with Superman's eventual birth at stake -- while weaving in an irreverent streak that in ways resembles his under-appreciated Starz series, "Da Vinci's Demons."

"Krypton" clearly won't be for everybody, and like "Gotham," it's difficult to foresee how long the producers can keep the premise airborne (although they've shrewdly set the show far enough in the past to alleviate concerns about its built-in expiration date). But a bit like the reboot of "Battlestar Galactica" -- which worked out pretty well for Syfy -- they've essentially taken little more than a title and built a credible sci-fi concept out of nothing.

To be clear, "Krypton" is good - not super. Yet based on first impressions, that "S"-like symbol could just as easily stand for "surprising" and "satisfying."

A good opening episode, with just enough Krypton history and lore to demonstrate why these people were so disconnected from life. Everything was about serving the council.

Brainiac makes a brief appearance. I am looking forward to the next few episodes.

Watched it last night, it was decent for a pilot. Though I thought the cape bit was a little cheesy but I guess they want something to tie back to Supes. Brainiac was the highlight for me, also liked Seg and Adam Strange. Show has some potential, kind of reminds me of a poor man's Game of Thrones.

13 hours ago, FutureFlash said:

it was decent for a pilot. Brainiac was the highlight for me, also liked Seg and Adam Strange. Show has some potential, kind of reminds me of a poor man's Game of Thrones.

Kandor reminded me of a rich man's :bigsmile: Attilan on the dark side of the Moon from tv's Inhumans. Interesting use of Adam Strange circa 1970s to give viewers of 'Krypton' an Earthly point of reference.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎22 at 3:54 AM, Bosco685 said:

Brainiac makes a brief appearance. I am looking forward to the next few episodes.

+1. Seems like Syfy and Netflix is supported by cigarette companies since they zoomed in on Adam Strange's crinkled Marlboro pack of smokes or Syfy wanted to use Marlboro to establish Adam's 1970s era time frame.