• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Wow, that didn't take long. The shill bidder was removed and thus the bids that were pushed up remain.

This was also the same bidder that had "won" the recent raw.

I will say this was a direct or indirect result of Jay pointing out the bidding activity.

Now it looks like maybe the shill bidder has returned with a new account ???

It's the freakin' wild west . . . no Marshal in town! :roflmao:

Seriously :gossip: no one pays attention to what jaydog says, but they might listen to the 16,000 other people who reported it.

4 hours ago, Max Carnage said:

Now it looks like maybe the shill bidder has returned with a new account ???

YUP!!

4 hours ago, divad said:

It's the freakin' wild west . . . no Marshal in town! :roflmao:

Seriously :gossip: no one pays attention to what jaydog says, but they might listen to the 16,000 other people who reported it.

Yea, it's only Modern variants that this happens.:gossip:

Shill bidders can only really operate whet there's real bidders actually willing to bid at these levels.. So someone really wants this book and knows how hard it is to get

31 minutes ago, MGH said:

Shill bidders can only really operate whet there's real bidders actually willing to bid at these levels.. So someone really wants this book and knows how hard it is to get

There are three unique shills bidding in both auctions.  

-J.

6 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

The shilling on these big modern variant books makes one wonder if any of these high prices are legit.  Maybe only if offered at the big auction houses will the value truly be determined, and not many of these books ever seem to end up in those.  hm

There is shilling not just in modern books though. hm

Nice sale on that spawn though. I could’ve sworn I saw a boardie selling one here a few months ago. 

Edited by jreezy

Like it or loathe it, (I'm in the latter) shilling is a fact of auctions anywhere and everywhere.. It can be out ruled or even made  illegal but people will still try it on if gives the chance of greater returns.    its been going on for as long as auctions and it likely always will. 

Sometimes its underhanded other times its blazen. in  housing auctions in my part of the world the auctioneer places owners bids if the price isn't where the the owner wants it and its legal. 

However at the end of the day, no buyer has to meet a shills bid, so as long as you only bid what you were willing to pay, you never pay more than you budget (though may pay more than was necessary)  So if something ever does sell at these prices there was at least one keen, legitimate, wiling buyer 

Truth be told, if I was made of money I'd pay whatever I had for these and would drop a huge bid for spawn sketch covers, but alas I'm not so my budget is usually $100 and  I've got no chance. ;)

6 hours ago, MGH said:

Like it or loathe it, (I'm in the latter) shilling is a fact of auctions anywhere and everywhere.. It can be out ruled or even made  illegal but people will still try it on if gives the chance of greater returns.    its been going on for as long as auctions and it likely always will. 

Sometimes its underhanded other times its blazen. in  housing auctions in my part of the world the auctioneer places owners bids if the price isn't where the the owner wants it and its legal.  ;)

this. which is why i never participate. :sumo:

On 7/14/2018 at 9:47 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Prove it.

I don't need to prove anything to you.

The flurry of bid cancellations by the sellers of both auctions speak for themselves.  Only the seller of the 9.2 is being more aggressive, he has cancelled the bids of all three of the shills that I observed so far. The seller of the signed 9.6 has yet to cancel the bids from the same shills in his auction.  Oh, and the raw copy that was overrun by those same shills last week has been completely stricken by ebay.

Good day sir.

-J.

4 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

The flurry of bid cancellations by the sellers of both auctions speak for themselves.  Only the seller of the 9.2 is being more aggressive, he has cancelled the bids of all three of the shills that I observed so far. The seller of the signed 9.6 has yet to cancel the bids from the same shills in his auction.  Oh, and the raw copy that was overrun by those same shills last week has been completely stricken by ebay.

Good day sir.

-J.

Yep, I also think the raw has reappeared in a new auction.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Good day sir.

-J.

eBay has proven at least on was a shill and closed the account. Unfortunately it looks like all the bidder did was open another one.

8 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Is it the same copy?  The other one had a small tear on the cover and I don't see that on this one....

-J.

I think it might be. Not entirely sure. I think what happened is the person that one the auction didn't pay, so the seller relisted it.

Edited by Spawn1709