• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
18 18

2,250 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, devald said:
5 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Auction ended at midnight, but was still oddly low.

Another sold for $5k a couple weeks earlier.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-608-CGC-9-8-Jim-Lee-Retailer-Incentive-Edition-RRP-Variant-Hush-Joker/143117044346?hash=item215270ca7a:g:XzsAAOSwWotbsYFB

-J.

So this one was mine and it did not sell at that amount. I leveraged the best offer function through ebay's messaging system. For whatever reason watchcount did not pick up the actual sold price through that feature. I've noticed this on other smaller books sold this way as well.

I wonder if GPA and other sales aggregators mischaracterize realized prices when done thru ebay's best offer feature within messages.

3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

For people who don't stay up until midnight to snipe auctions, it made a difference.

But if you choose to believe that a "16-month low" following a 10 month high for the same book in a less than two week period had noting to do with an idiotic auction end time, be my guest. (thumbsu

-J.

So now what's the excuse reason?

On 3/8/2019 at 11:01 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Guys I've been putting together an extended update for this list.  But it will take quite a bit of time to put it all together and post.  

Please "react" to this post in some manner if you would like me to update it.

At least 5 reactions, and I'll go ahead and do it.  

Thanks !

-J.

:bump:

-J.

On 3/8/2019 at 1:41 PM, devald said:

So this one was mine and it did not sell at that amount. I leveraged the best offer function through ebay's messaging system. For whatever reason watchcount did not pick up the actual sold price through that feature. I've noticed this on other smaller books sold this way as well.

I wonder if GPA and other sales aggregators mischaracterize realized prices when done thru ebay's best offer feature within messages.

No, there's not a way to track that from what others have said regarding GPA.

On 3/8/2019 at 2:51 PM, manetteska said:

So now what's the excuse reason?

No response to the board memeber who said theirs did NOT sell for the $5k he mentioned. 

7 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

:bump:

-J.

Make the list or don't. You're looking real thirsty...

56 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

No response to the board memeber who said theirs did NOT sell for the $5k he mentioned. 

Make the list or don't. You're looking real thirsty...

Because it is irrelevant to my point.  

And should I count this a reaction to my post ? 

-J.

On 3/8/2019 at 9:37 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Auction ended at midnight, but was still oddly low.

Another sold for $5k a couple weeks earlier.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-608-CGC-9-8-Jim-Lee-Retailer-Incentive-Edition-RRP-Variant-Hush-Joker/143117044346?hash=item215270ca7a:g:XzsAAOSwWotbsYFB

-J.

10 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Because it is irrelevant to my point.  

And should I count this a reaction to my post ? 

-J.

:facepalm:

On 3/8/2019 at 10:48 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Ebay sellers are who are cognizant about auction end times and know what they're doing usually have them ending between 9pm-10Pm EST (which is 6pm-7pm PST). 

Not midnight.

That is not even debatable.  (Though I'm sure you will try to anyway ¬¬ )

-J.

Just a point - there's a great deal of study on this. Best time ( most views) for an auction to end is 10:30 eastern time.

On 3/13/2019 at 12:17 AM, FlyingDonut said:

Just a point - there's a great deal of study on this. Best time ( most views) for an auction to end is 10:30 eastern time.

For any ho-hum book sure. But as I said before, if it's a big book / hard to find, people will find a way to bid on it. For instance, the last Batman 608 RRP 9.8 that went to auction ended at 11:45 PM EST and commanded the same price as the BIN that the boarded just sold.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-608-CGC-9-8-Jim-Lee-Retailer-Incentive-Edition-RRP-Variant-Hush-Joker-/283339976460?hash=item41f860ef0c%3Ag%3ANe4AAOSwnKFcPTdM&LH_Auction=1&nma=true&si=pSm8RTdW%2Bz8fojfen%2BQmTf6v2FQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Doc2.jpg

26 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

For any ho-hum book sure. But as I said before, if it's a big book / hard to find, people will find a way to bid on it. For instance, the last Batman 608 RRP 9.8 that went to auction ended at 11:45 PM EST and commanded the same price as the BIN that the boarded just sold.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-608-CGC-9-8-Jim-Lee-Retailer-Incentive-Edition-RRP-Variant-Hush-Joker-/283339976460?hash=item41f860ef0c%3Ag%3ANe4AAOSwnKFcPTdM&LH_Auction=1&nma=true&si=pSm8RTdW%2Bz8fojfen%2BQmTf6v2FQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Doc2.jpg

The "last" copy was this copy, that the same seller relisted.

Maybe the lower $4k price point was established in the first place by the same dunce auction end time. hm

-J.

On 3/8/2019 at 11:01 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Guys I've been putting together an extended update for this list.  But it will take quite a bit of time to put it all together and post.  

Please "react" to this post in some manner if you would like me to update it.

At least 5 reactions, and I'll go ahead and do it.  

Thanks !

-J.

:popcorn:

Sad that I had to sell my collection before things really matured, but I'm moving into a new house because of them so, yay!  Great list, a few n00bs in there and I'll admit, I'm happy to see the Vader Down in there.  That one was the riskiest book to invest in, imo.  But now I can just collect easy to find books.

Has anyone made a Modern Key Issues list (variants not allowed)?  A place where books like the Death of Spider-Man, Cap, YTLM #1, WD's and Invincible books can be listed?

Jerome

1 hour ago, Lethal_Collector said:

Sad that I had to sell my collection before things really matured, but I'm moving into a new house because of them so, yay!  Great list, a few n00bs in there and I'll admit, I'm happy to see the Vader Down in there.  That one was the riskiest book to invest in, imo.  But now I can just collect easy to find books.

Has anyone made a Modern Key Issues list (variants not allowed)?  A place where books like the Death of Spider-Man, Cap, YTLM #1, WD's and Invincible books can be listed?

Jerome

hm

That's something I could get behind. Easier to gauge as well due to more frequent sales, presumably.

This has variants:

https://www.sellmycomicbooks.com/most-valuable-comic-books-modern-age.html