• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
18 18

2,250 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

hm

That's something I could get behind. Easier to gauge as well due to more frequent sales, presumably.

This has variants:

https://www.sellmycomicbooks.com/most-valuable-comic-books-modern-age.html

Yea, thats a good start, some of those books would apply with their non-variant counterpart like Wolvie #145, he still gets his adamantiam back in the 1st print too lol   

And like you said easier access to sales, but the thread would also be about big events, not just the high dollar issues hm  Is Watchmen #1 still considered (thee) first MA book and the Death of Supes the end of Copper?

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

On 10/11/2019 at 5:47 PM, Lethal_Collector said:

Yea, thats a good start, some of those books would apply with their non-variant counterpart like Wolvie #145, he still gets his adamantiam back in the 1st print too lol   

And like you said easier access to sales, but the thread would also be about big events, not just the high dollar issues hm  Is Watchmen #1 still considered (thee) first MA book and the Death of Supes the end of Copper?

Jerome

I like those also. The link listed is an outdated list. they have a more recent one.

Just out of curiosity, what are the rarity ratios on the top 20, where it applies?  I know the Supergirl/Legion was a 1:10 ratio, I'm wondering if any of the others are also relatively common variants.  The Supergirl/Legion is the only book on the list I've got, and I think the only one I've even seen in person.

19 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Just out of curiosity, what are the rarity ratios on the top 20, where it applies?  I know the Supergirl/Legion was a 1:10 ratio, I'm wondering if any of the others are also relatively common variants.  The Supergirl/Legion is the only book on the list I've got, and I think the only one I've even seen in person.

LOSH 23- 1:10

Spawn 222- 1:50

ASM Present Black Cat- 1:25

ASM 688- 1:50

MK 1- 1:50

Rick and Morty- 1:50

X-23 1- 1:25

ASM 700- 1:200

UF 4- 1:25

ESOV 2- 1:25

Siege 3- N/A

Spawn 185- N/A

CM 14- 1:30

BP 1 Sketch - Convention

Vader Down- 1:5000 (!)

Bats 608RRP- DC Retailer Roundtable

Wolvie 1- N/A

ASM 678- 1:50

UXM 510 Sketch- Convention

ASM 667- 1:100

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Siege 3- N/A

Spawn 185- N/A

BP 1 Sketch - Convention

Wolvie 1- N/A

-J.

Thank you so much for this.  I think knowing the ratio gives a clue to just how much actual demand there is for the book.  Given how wildly the number of copies of each varies, I think some of the books lower on the list are actually a lot more in demand, there are just more copies to satisfy the demand.

10 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Siege 3- N/A

Spawn 185- N/A

BP 1 Sketch - Convention

Wolvie 1- N/A

-J.

Spawn 222 was not an incentive cover. It as a randomly distributed cover limited to 400 copies.

On 10/13/2019 at 2:19 PM, OtherEric said:

Those ratios are for ordering, not rarity.

40 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Understood.  It still gives a starting point for relative rarity, but of course only goes so far.  I tend to assume that most (not all) stores will order 10 books to get the 1:10, 1:25 really depends, 1:50 needs genuine popularity, and anything higher is probably a lot less than the ration would suggest. 

12 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Understood.  It still gives a starting point for relative rarity, but of course only goes so far.  I tend to assume that most (not all) stores will order 10 books to get the 1:10, 1:25 really depends, 1:50 needs genuine popularity, and anything higher is probably a lot less than the ration would suggest. 

High number variants pay for themselves if you know what you're doing. If - for example - you wanted to get the 1:5000 Batman book with the Jim Lee sketch cover, you had to order 5,000 copies of the Batman book. Assume you're getting a 50% discount, so you're looking at (roughly) $8K

The Jim Lee sketch cover sells for $4K.

You also now have five 1:1000 variants, ten 1:500 variants, 20 1:250 variants, 50 1:100 variants, etc etc etc. All of these move. I don't understand why a store wouldn't order the 5,000 copies. You're printing money - and anything you do with the actual book is gravy.

48 minutes ago, OtherEric said:
1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yes, but...the publishers print what they want, and don't tell anyone but the printer how many. That's why there are 1:100s that seem common, and 1:10s that seem rare. How many stores ordered is only one part of the equation, and can't be used to determine the actual number of copies that were made.

5 hours ago, Lobstrosity said:

Spawn 222 was not an incentive cover. It as a randomly distributed cover limited to 400 copies.

I don't see verification of that anywhere.  

The 1:50 ratio number is also reported by mycomicshop:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=Spawn+222&pubid=&PubRng=

(although I do understand that they are not necessarily always 100% right either, their database when it comes to this kind of info is usually spot on.)

-J.

3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I don't see verification of that anywhere.  

The 1:50 ratio number is also reported by mycomicshop:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=Spawn+222&pubid=&PubRng=

(although I do understand that they are not necessarily always 100% right either, their database when it comes to this kind of info is usually spot on.)

-J.

it was printed in the letter pages of Spawn 221 or 222 (dont have the issue or screenshot but hopefully someone here can provide) and the editor (or whoever managed that page) wrote as an announcement that there were 400 copies of this variant printed and distributed, presumably, randomly.

56 minutes ago, maraxusofkeld said:

I always have wondered why Sandman #8 Karen Burger is not on the list? I haven't been following all 54 pages of the thread, but the book has sold at nearly 6K in 9.8. Are you going by average raw price, CGC graded in X grade?

Having been released in 1989 that book is not considered a "modern" by the powers that govern the CGC boards.

It also is not a unique cover to the regular version so I would also argue that it is not a "modern variant" like the others on this list in that regard either, even if it were not Copper.

-J.

1 hour ago, devald said:

it was printed in the letter pages of Spawn 221 or 222 (dont have the issue or screenshot but hopefully someone here can provide) and the editor (or whoever managed that page) wrote as an announcement that there were 400 copies of this variant printed and distributed, presumably, randomly.

I would like to see a picture or a screen shot of that as well. 

But given Spawn's low print numbers at the time (~16,000) it would actually be rarer at the 1:50 ratio. 

-J.

6 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I would like to see a picture or a screen shot of that as well. 

But given Spawn's low print numbers at the time (~16,000) it would actually be rarer at the 1:50 ratio. 

-J.

So it's not a clear picture (apologies but best I can do as I don't own a copy) but it was pulled from here (presumably scans of the issue) https://comicpunch.net/reader/Spawn/Spawn-Issue-222/25

But this variant and its details were discussed on this thread where I originally saw the letter page picture indicating 400 copies (or less). https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/405472-spawn-variants/page/5/#comments

xpqx025.jpg.76b5dbd4aa0dc63f38fa406617f11519.jpg

But anyone with a copy of 222 can flip to letters page to verify but this was a surprise "chase" cover that wasn't announced and sent out at random.
Similar I think to the Boom Studios "Jackpot" incentives a few years back.

53 minutes ago, devald said:

So it's not a clear picture (apologies but best I can do as I don't own a copy) but it was pulled from here (presumably scans of the issue) https://comicpunch.net/reader/Spawn/Spawn-Issue-222/25

But this variant and its details were discussed on this thread where I originally saw the letter page picture indicating 400 copies (or less). https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/405472-spawn-variants/page/5/#comments

xpqx025.jpg.76b5dbd4aa0dc63f38fa406617f11519.jpg

But anyone with a copy of 222 can flip to letters page to verify but this was a surprise "chase" cover that wasn't announced and sent out at random.
Similar I think to the Boom Studios "Jackpot" incentives a few years back.

Very cool, thank you for posting.

Now I'm wondering where MCS got the 1:50 ratio from (though like I mentioned above, I don't think the distinction really affects the numbers extant for the book in either scenario).

-J.