• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

rma... Why do you go to these events? Do you work with a retailer? Are there non-retailers in the business who have fenagled their way on these lists? I am just curious. My wife is a master at getting herself on invite lists. The amount of swag she used to bring home was nuts.

I have been to many retailer summits and on this topic, he who should not be named 2nd print (RMA) is correct about these. Some of the case pack arguments are not making any sense tho and really all of this arguing is really becoming a moot point. why he choose to go to this topic as an example of the main subject is just another example of spinning the web.

"look kids, Comics!" 

5 hours ago, the blob said:

rma... Why do you go to these events? Do you work with a retailer? Are there non-retailers in the business who have fenagled their way on these lists? I am just curious. My wife is a master at getting herself on invite lists. The amount of swag she used to bring home was nuts.

I am an "employee" on a Diamond account. We go to as many retailer summits as we can. They're actually really good; some of them, like the VERY infamous 2017 (18?) Marvel meeting that went WAY south, are spectacular. I was there! :D 

And why not? Free food, free variants, learning what's coming out, seeing things from the retailer side...it's quite informative.

20 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I think I can arrange that. That works out to one Darker Image #1 Gold per hour....give me an estimate on the amount of work you think it will take, and send me an invoice...I'll have the books shipped out ASAP. 

I think you are trying to trick me! The interweb says they are worth about $12 a pop! Maybe I can scrape the gold off them and sell it as scrap?

1 minute ago, the blob said:

Where were they held? All over I take it? My guy in NYC never talked about them, but he would have never travelled outside the city for anything. He did not know how to drive!

Yup, all over. I didn't become involved until the '10s, but there's literature about them. The Batman #608 RRP was a retailer summit giveaway, though I'm not sure if it was at a Diamond summit, or if DC was still doing their retailer roundtable program (like Superman: The Wedding Album Gold or All Star Comics #1.)

On 10/25/2019 at 9:45 AM, ygogolak said:

October 17, 2017 there were 75 9.8s on the census. There are 128 9.8s on the census as of October 8, 2019.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/comicid/64551

Market price is subject to supply and demand numbers.

I have provided factual data to my assumption, please do the same for yours.

On 10/25/2019 at 6:47 PM, darkstar said:

I didn't post an assumption.

As for the trash that poisons this hobby and manipulates prices I've mentioned them to you countless times before and either because of stupidity, willful ignorance, or the fact that you are "friends" with some of them you have chosen to ignore the reality of the situation. I have no interest in engaging you further in this matter, you are not worth my time.

So I provided facts, you did not and yet you are "choosing" to end the conversation. Convenient.

:roflmao:

20 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

This info is at best, anecdotal.

If I'm walking down the street and see a car accident, it happened. It is a factual occurrence. You can choose not to believe me - that doesn't make it 'anecdotal'.

It just makes YOU part of a generation that chooses to pick and believe whatever information you need to appease your own ego/vanity.

Reality is still reality, regardless of the mind of whoever decides to accept it.

And I am also familiar with these events.

Name one you've been to. You aren't - because if you had - you'd know. 

No, not every retailer receives courtesy copies of books.

Yes. Every retailer that signs up for this event has packets set aside for their store. We all LINE up to get our packets at the end of various retailer presentations and you actually SEE the amount of these things given out. HUNDREDS. You have no idea what you're talking about.

No, not every retailer receives courtesy copies of the same books.

Again, you have no idea what you're talking about. One year at SDCC, we all got Superman Unchained #1 Jim Lee 1:300 variants (along with other 'sketch variants from DC after their presentation).

These things immediately went up on eBay after the show for over $100 (I put mine up via my phone as I was sitting in the hall.)

The show where Diamond gives a book like that to HALF their retailers and not the other HALF? Their'll be a RIOT. Retailers at these Summits are like hungry dogs to get these variants and resell them to pay for their cost going to the show. 

Diamond HAS to give everyone the same books at these things, or they'd just get even more grief and person_without_enough_empathying than they already do.

Again, you have no idea what you're talking about.

No, most of the courtesy books retailers receive are not retailer incentive variants.

It's a mix. But when you get a 1:300, a couple of 1:100's, and a couple of 1;25's, it blows your whole premise completely out of the water.

NO ONE is claiming everything retailers get it a retailer incentive variant. We don't have to. Just the fact we get some, destroys your math.

No, what ones are, are not handed out in mass quantities of several hundreds.

Yes they are. You have no idea what you're talking about. 

No, you do not know whether or not the books that are handed out, were already designated set asides for the event. 

Doesn't make a difference. They weren't given out as a part of the 'print run' you believe is in place. Thus, your math is false.

No, this does not mean that publishers regularly over print books that no one has ordered, just for sake of doing so (they may however do so to hand out as special thank yous at giveaways such as these however, see above).

Over printing has gone on since before you were born.

No, none of this prevents anyone from reasonably estimating print runs based on comichron sales figures. 

Yes. Yes it does. 

If you think it does, that is your opinion, and you already stated it ad infinitum.  

Try to enjoy your Sunday.   (thumbsu

-J.

You can continue to be delusional about it. That's your choice. Facts mean something. You have NO facts to back anything you say up. I've SEEN it. RMA has seen it. Others have seen it. All you have to do is look at eBay after SDCC or a retailer summit and see all of the copies that suddenly go up for sale of whatever books are given out and you can see the impact it has.

Free incentive variants given out a retailer summits....

Multiple Marvel retailer incentive variant sales over the years....

Your math doesn't make sense.

But please, continue to double down on your misguidedness, it's what we expect. 

On 10/24/2019 at 2:22 PM, Jaydogrules said:
On 10/24/2019 at 1:43 PM, ygogolak said:

Why can't you just get the info? I would think if it was readily available somebody else would have gotten it by now.

I'm not a diamond account holder.  But there are other people on here who are, other than this guy (or at least they claim to be).  The individual who provided me the info saw the original ASM 667 thread, saw some of the things that were being said and decided to investigate for himself.  My own investigations were limited to public record.   He reached out to some contacts at diamond and got the info.  Since this info is not supposed to be public (as we are constantly being told by certain boardies through their multiple sock puppet accounts), I was asked not to publicize it, lest it be traced back to either him, or his source. I gave my word, and I will keep it until/unless he says I can post it myself or he posts it himself.  

-J.

Not to volunteer anyone, but maybe @Chuck Gower can get this same info? @Jaydogrules - Are you able to provide him with the special password and handshakes to get to what you're alluding to?

59 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

If I'm walking down the street and see a car accident, it happened. It is a factual occurrence. You can choose not to believe me - that doesn't make it 'anecdotal'.

It just makes YOU part of a generation that chooses to pick and believe whatever information you need to appease your own ego/vanity.

Reality is still reality, regardless of the mind of whoever decides to accept it.

Name one you've been to. You aren't - because if you had - you'd know. 

Yes. Every retailer that signs up for this event has packets set aside for their store. We all LINE up to get our packets at the end of various retailer presentations and you actually SEE the amount of these things given out. HUNDREDS. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Again, you have no idea what you're talking about. One year at SDCC, we all got Superman Unchained #1 Jim Lee 1:300 variants (along with other 'sketch variants from DC after their presentation).

These things immediately went up on eBay after the show for over $100 (I put mine up via my phone as I was sitting in the hall.)

The show where Diamond gives a book like that to HALF their retailers and not the other HALF? Their'll be a RIOT. Retailers at these Summits are like hungry dogs to get these variants and resell them to pay for their cost going to the show. 

Diamond HAS to give everyone the same books at these things, or they'd just get even more grief and person_without_enough_empathying than they already do.

Again, you have no idea what you're talking about.

It's a mix. But when you get a 1:300, a couple of 1:100's, and a couple of 1;25's, it blows your whole premise completely out of the water.

NO ONE is claiming everything retailers get it a retailer incentive variant. We don't have to. Just the fact we get some, destroys your math.

Yes they are. You have no idea what you're talking about. 

Doesn't make a difference. They weren't given out as a part of the 'print run' you believe is in place. Thus, your math is false.

Over printing has gone on since before you were born.

Yes. Yes it does. 

You can continue to be delusional about it. That's your choice. Facts mean something. You have NO facts to back anything you say up. I've SEEN it. RMA has seen it. Others have seen it. All you have to do is look at eBay after SDCC or a retailer summit and see all of the copies that suddenly go up for sale of whatever books are given out and you can see the impact it has.

Free incentive variants given out a retailer summits....

Multiple Marvel retailer incentive variant sales over the years....

Your math doesn't make sense.

But please, continue to double down on your misguidedness, it's what we expect. 

:eyeroll:

"That one time I got that 1:300 Jim Lee variant years ago".

Anecdote.  

You don't know what I know.  But I know more than you think Gower.  You'll just have to trust me on that. ;)

How about "all retailers getting the same books"?

That's false Gower. 

Are you claiming that ALL retailers get invited to ALL presentations?  If you are, provide documentation.  Are you claiming "hundreds" of retailers go to each presentation ?  If you are, i want documentation. If you are not (and if you are, you're lying), then you proved my point about not all retailers all getting the same books, or in quantity, despite the the fact that you pretended to disprove it.  How about that one time a select few retailers were invited to a brunch and only they got a handful of a couple of special variants?  Also, quit conflating/trying to blur the lines between RRP and/or Diamond summit variants with ratio variants.  We all know those (special summit variants) are given out at those events, that's not what's being discussed here.

Hey Gower, how about that time you personally agreed and confirmed that diamond orders are rounded up to the nearest case packs ?  Will you continue to deny your own past statements or should I link that for everybody to see again ?  

Hey Gower, I also want some documentation that publishers continue to deliberately mass produce books far over actual orders received.  I want to see a formal public announcement where one has stated this as official practice and policy.  Thousands of variants are produced a year, so several dozen showing up once every two or three years in a diamond over stock burn off isn't "proof" of that.  That is, in fact consistent with the ~3%-5% over print for damages plus courtesy copies, rounded up to the nearest case pack.  Sometimes there are no or few damage returns.  Sometimes courtesy copies go unclaimed.  Sometimes you only have a few books taken out of an entire case pack.  THESE are the rational, honest and reasonable explanations for why there are sometimes extra copies to be circulated.  Not your cockamamie, variant hating conspiracy theories ("OMG publishers love to flush money down the drain by deliberately over printing all their books by the HUNDREDS and THOUSANDS!") that have been worn out and debunked since at least 2015. It's almost like Don Quixote and Chicken Little had a kid that liked to beat dead horses lol.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

34 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

:eyeroll:

"That one time I got that 1:300 Jim Lee variant years ago".

Anecdote.  

You don't know what I know.  But I know more than you think Gower.  You'll just have to trust me on that. ;)

How about "all retailers getting the same books"?

That's false Gower. 

Are you claiming that ALL retailers get invited to ALL presentations?  If you are, provide documentation.  Are you claiming "hundreds" of retailers go to each presentation ?  If you are, i want documentation. If you are not (and if you are, you're lying), then you proved my point about not all retailers all getting the same books, or in quantity, despite the the fact that you pretended to disprove it.  How about that one time a select few retailers were invited to a brunch and only they got a handful of a couple of special variants?  Also, quit conflating/trying to blur the lines between RRP and/or Diamond summit variants with ratio variants.  We all know those (special summit variants) are given out at those events, that's not what's being discussed here.

Hey Gower, how about that time you personally agreed and confirmed that diamond orders are rounded up to the nearest case packs ?  Will you continue to deny your own past statements or should I link that for everybody to see again ?  

Hey Gower, I also want some documentation that publishers continue to deliberately mass produce books far over actual orders received.  I want to see a formal public announcement where one has stated this as official practice and policy.  Thousands of variants are produced a year, so several dozen showing up once every two or three years in a diamond over stock burn off isn't "proof" of that.  That is, in fact consistent with the ~3%-5% over print for damages plus courtesy copies, rounded up to the nearest case pack.  Sometimes there are no or few damage returns.  Sometimes courtesy copies go unclaimed.  Sometimes you only have a few books taken out of an entire case pack.  THESE are the rational, honest and reasonable explanations for why there are sometimes extra copies to be circulated.  Not your cockamamie, variant hating conspiracy theories ("OMG publishers love to flush money down the drain by deliberately over printing all their books by the HUNDREDS and THOUSANDS!") that have been worn out and debunked since at least 2015. It's almost like Don Quixote and Chicken Little had a kid that liked to beat dead horses lol.

-J.

Do you even realise how ridiculous you sound?

You're claiming that other peoples' statements are not valid until they provide documentation to support them, while at the same time refusing to back up your own claim with the same (that you claim to have but won't provide because of a B.S. ethical dilemma) :eyeroll:

33 minutes ago, Foley said:

Do you even realise how ridiculous you sound?

You're claiming that other peoples' statements are not valid until they provide documentation to support them, while at the same time refusing to back up your own claim with the same (that you claim to have but won't provide because of a B.S. ethical dilemma) :eyeroll:

It's ironic that the irony of that point is lost on you.

(:gossip: They're the ones that started running around demanding "proof" and "documentation" from people.) 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

It seems pretty likely only a fraction of diamond account holders can go to these things as many cannot afford the flight, the hotels, etc. Selling some variants does not seem enough to pay for that. Which explains why 3000 aren't given out. Most shops are too broke to afford the trip. That is anecdotal though.

21 minutes ago, Serpentor said:

I'm not sure how many were given out, but the pair of Diamond Valiant Unity TPB's from back in the 90's was one of the toughest things I ever tracked down when completing my old school Valiant run.

1,000 is the high estimate, but it could have been 600-800.  There may be a letter from Valiant that states the number, possibly as high as 1,000.

unitylim1.jpg     unitylim2.jpg

They are too thick for CGC cases, so there are none on the CGC Census.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

It's ironic that the irony of that point is lost on you.

(:gossip: They're the ones that started running around demanding "proof" and "documentation" from people.) 

-J.

Yes, because you're claiming specific numbers. We're saying a) those numbers aren't available and b) you have no way of knowing what they are.