• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2019 at 2:52 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I like the way you used a pattern of question and factual answer to deflect from the fact that your answer to the final question is your opinion, rather than a fact.

You can ignore the numbers if you want. I think it's always better to make a decision taking into account as many facts as are available, even if all of the facts aren't available

Here’s why it doesn’t work:

NYC Comic Store order 100 of the regular 

mycomicshop orders 100 of the regular  

100 accounts order a total of 2500 of the regular (no one shop ordering more than 50)

How many 1:100 copies are there? By YOUR math there’d be 27. 
But in reality there’d only be 2. 

10 minutes ago, valiantman said:

This is the official item detail from Diamond for ASM #667 Dell'Otto...

image.png.a283125738598e4675b3bea091b790fd.png

It does NOT say that one case was ordered.  It says that you should expect these to be packaged one at a time.

That's not what "Case Pack" means.

image.png.d8bbc2c60095ec5c3b5c2e69be3c800b.png

Here's the item detail for ASM #667 showing that it will be 225 per case:

image.png.924ce45429ec7cab3ce0fe7daadc120c.png

I hope there's some other documentation that says there was only one case of ASM #667 Dell'Otto printed, because this ain't it.

No comment either way.

Although seeing this once again reminds me of the "why" the book is so rare.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

56 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Here’s why it doesn’t work:

NYC Comic Store order 100 of the regular 

mycomicshop orders 100 of the regular  

100 accounts order a total of 2500 of the regular (no one shop ordering more than 50)

How many 1:100 copies are there? By YOUR math there’d be 27. 
But in reality there’d only be 2. 

I never suggested that a simple equation is going to give you an exact, reliable number. Yes, the higher the ratio, the harder it would be to determine how many incentives were distributed, based on the sales estimates. It makes sense that a retailer that normally orders 20 copies of a book will push up an order to get a 1:25 incentive, but perhaps not a 1:50 or 1:100 (unless someone orders one and the additional regular versions are essentially paid for). But it's a starting point. 

39 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Only those devoid of common sense would think it’s not...

especially after seeing this.

lol Welcome to the boards.

But seriously, @valiantman I would be curious to see this same info for, let's say, the #667 Hans Fantastic Four anniversary variant, which was the only variant originally announced for that issue until after the initial FOC when the Dell'otto got added, and was an unlimited order variant, with none of those counting toward the "100" to get the Dell'otto.  hm

https://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/819?articleID=110712

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Comichron says that the UK often adds 10% by itself: https://comichron.com/faq/directmarketsalesdata.html

:gossip: Check out this article about midway down, the second left justified paragraph section re: Newsstand sales vs. Direct in 2011.  10% seems pretty high to me but I had not noticed this before.

https://blog.comichron.com/2012/02/big-picture-bookscan-comics-shops-and.html

17 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

lol Welcome to the boards.

But seriously, @valiantman I would be curious to see this same info for, let's say, the #667 Hans Fantastic Four anniversary variant, which was the only variant originally announced for that issue until after the initial FOC when the Dell'otto got added, and was an unlimited order variant, with none of those counting toward the "100" to get the Dell'otto.  hm

https://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/819?articleID=110712

-J.