• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

No, what I'm asking you is "why" do you think Diamond would send out "singles" of the 667 Dell'otto, and not the 648 Campbell, both of which were 1:100's, from the same time frame, with what one would expect to be comparable order numbers (under normal circumstances, which this is clearly not, but let's say so for the sake of argument)?

-J.

Because the Del’otto was solicited late, meaning it would have, most likely, less copies printed of it. 

This probably explains, somewhat why their seems to be much fewer of these in the market. A late solicitation of a 1:100 book, that very few retailers qualify for in the first place. 

Remember - they may qualify for it - but unless they specifically order it - which they’d have to have done on Final Order Cutoff (that not all stores pay attention to) - they wouldn’t just automatically get it. (Or at least that’s the way it is now). 

Marvel probably knew ahead of time they’d have to ship this out in less than a standard case size and Diamond adjusted accordingly. 

This is all just speculation based upon what I can see here. 

28 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:
31 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Because they sent the Dell'Otto books as singles. 

Why do you think Diamond would say "Case Pack: 1" on a book with a May 2011 item number when a book didn't have a final order cutoff until mid-July 2011, if that's supposed to be the actual number of cases printed (which Diamond would never tell anyone, much less make it searchable to everyone with access to their full item history database)?

No, what I'm asking you is "why" do you think Diamond would send out "singles" of the 667 Dell'otto, and not the 648 Campbell, both of which were 1:100's, from the same time frame, with what one would expect to be comparable order numbers (under normal circumstances, which this is clearly not, but let's say so for the sake of argument)?

-J.

Are you suggesting someone knew ahead of time only 1 "case pack" would be created of the 667?

Or someone went in after the fact, and updated that page to say how many were actually sent out after all orders were placed?

I may be getting my variants confused, but wasn't the 667 Dell'Otto added to the site late in the game?

52 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

I think the variant case pack is usually just taken from the regular case pack size.  The 648 variant says 130, but it also says height is 0.15, which is a single copy of a 56 page book.  In other words, I think both limited variants were distributed as singles.  That height would normally be Case Pack: 2, but ASM 648 was a double-issue single.

4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I think the variant case pack is usually just taken from the regular case pack size.  The 648 variant says 130, but it also says height is 0.15, which is a single copy of a 56 page book.  In other words, I think both limited variants were distributed as singles.  That height would normally be Case Pack: 2, but ASM 648 was a double-issue single.

And this seems to make the most sense.

29 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Are you suggesting someone knew ahead of time only 1 "case pack" would be created of the 667?

Or someone went in after the fact, and updated that page to say how many were actually sent out after all orders were placed?

I may be getting my variants confused, but wasn't the 667 Dell'Otto added to the site late in the game?

It was both. It was announced late, but the Dell'Otto 667 also has the earliest 667 item number (May) from Diamond when the regular 667 are June item numbers. Seems like a truly late June item would get a June or July item number.

Edited by valiantman

40 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Because the Del’otto was solicited late, meaning it would have, most likely, less copies printed of it. 

This probably explains, somewhat why their seems to be much fewer of these in the market. A late solicitation of a 1:100 book, that very few retailers qualify for in the first place. 

Remember - they may qualify for it - but unless they specifically order it - which they’d have to have done on Final Order Cutoff (that not all stores pay attention to) - they wouldn’t just automatically get it. (Or at least that’s the way it is now). 

Marvel probably knew ahead of time they’d have to ship this out in less than a standard case size and Diamond adjusted accordingly. 

This is all just speculation based upon what I can see here. 

This, I actually agree with.  

From what I otherwise have seen and heard about this one particular book (the 667). I also think it says "1", because, as valiantman said, they were distributed as singles, and they were done this way because there were not enough orders to fill a standard sized case pack of 225 for that particular cover.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

33 minutes ago, manetteska said:

All of these Diamond solicits state when the books were shipped, so these are updated and final info on these books.

The Dell'otto 667 wasn't added until the close of the FOC for that issue for the month, and retailers were given one week to up the orders on the regular cover only (none of the the already heavily ordered Hans variant for the issue counted) to be able to order a Dell'otto 667.

https://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/819?articleID=110712

Obviously few retailers took them up on their offer.

-J.

18 minutes ago, valiantman said:

If this "Case Pack: 1" documentation is all there is, then I'm even more confident in the actual calculations that put 400 to 600 copies of these in the estimated print run (distributed).

Based on what ?

Not based on the census numbers. 

Not based on amount of copies for sale at any given time.

Not based on the amount of public sales since 2011.

Not based on the solicit for the similarly (though not quite as) rare 648 Campbell colour variant (which by the way, even that does not likely have  400 copies printed, let alone 600).

*Edit- You think Diamond sent out 400-600 INDIVIDUAL copies of a book, when the case pack size for the other covers of the same issue were 225?  Come on man.

I would imagine that if you look up other (not as) rare ASM variants, like the 678 VenoMJ, and the 688 Campbell lizard, that they ALL reflect full case packs being sent out in same quantities as the regular issue.  

This data only reinforces the absolute rarity of the book even further.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

2 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:

It’s pretty safe to say that anyone who works in the corporate world of for a corporation in general.

Theres no freebies or giveaways or preferential treatment especial at a lower to mid level.

Its bad business because there is no gain from it.

Corporate does not care about “hooking up employees” lol

Except Marvel and DC used to allow employees at all levels to take home lots of comics. My local shop had several Marvel and DC employees who would bring in their monthly hauls for store credit or just sell them outright. In high school my friend's brother worked there in college and he would bring home tons of stuff. Granted, this was before there were so many variants floating around. You had Spider-Man 1 platinum and not a whole lot else. And pre-bankruptcy. Indeed, the Marvel offices used to have free comics sitting around in their reception area in the 80s. I just have no idea if this is still the culture there.

I think it's fairly clear that valiantman found where you got your "one case pack was printed" story from, that you are misinterpreting that information, and that your invoice story is a complete fabrication. 

-F.

P.S. Saying "lol" makes you sound like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person 

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:
1 hour ago, valiantman said:

If this "Case Pack: 1" documentation is all there is, then I'm even more confident in the actual calculations that put 400 to 600 copies of these in the estimated print run (distributed).

Based on what ?

Not based on the census numbers. 

image.png.8451572ad8e68a016131521c56b013

3 minutes ago, Foley said:

I think it's fairly clear that valiantman found where you got your "one case pack was printed" story from, that you are misinterpreting that information, and that your invoice story is a complete fabrication. 

-F.

P.S. Saying "lol" makes you sound like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person 

You're right. There was less than one case pack. 

Why don't you try adding something constructive to a conversation for once and answer the question that valiantman hasn't.

If there were 225 copies per case pack of the regular issue and the Hans variant, why would Diamond send out INDIVIDUAL (1) copy(ies) of the Dell'otto if there were "400-600" printed, rather than 2 or 3 case packs ? 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

image.png.ad45c6cfe4332241ca28325d58cc91c5.png

You're still not answering this question: 

If there were 225 copies per case pack of the regular issue and the Hans variant, why would Diamond send out INDIVIDUAL (1) copy(ies) of the Dell'otto if there were "400-600" printed, rather than 2 or 3 full case packs ?

-J.

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Another "Case Pack: 1" from Diamond in May 2011.  I guess there is less than one case (around 225) of the Captain America comic that came with this neon sign, too.

Quick, someone pay $10,000 for it! lol

image.thumb.png.afa4d43af2925a4e42fad1bdcee23865.png

I haven't researched the circumstances surrounding that book. It may also be rare. Let's stay on point. (Although I do find it telling that you would post this, rather than the more comparable ASM 678 VenoMJ or 688 Lizard Campbell.)

If there were 225 copies per case pack of the regular issue and the Hans variant, why would Diamond send out INDIVIDUAL (1) copy(ies) of the Dell'otto if there were "400-600" printed, rather than 2 or 3 case packs ?

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

You're still not answering this question: 

If there were 225 copies per case pack of the regular issue and the Hans variant, why would Diamond send out INDIVIDUAL (1) copy(ies) of the Dell'otto if there were "400-600" printed, rather than 2 or 3 full case packs ?

-J.

Because your argument can be used for this, too.

Is there less than 1 case of Kirby Genesis #3 Ross sketch variant?

image.thumb.png.ddcc58e1cb41214b71f858a1cd57e5ba.png