• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:
1 hour ago, valiantman said:

I literally search the first number "1001" and got a match to "Case Pack: 1" for a 1:25 variant.

image.thumb.png.0e1b1b766465093803be686b9859943b.png

You really think that this book, randomly found because I put in "1001" with "Case Pack: 1" is basically as rare as ASM #667 Dell'Otto?  Because it's pretty obvious that they use "Case Pack: 1" when they aren't sending the books in cases.  It has NOTHING to do with how many are ordered.  This is entered BEFORE there are any orders.

I don't know ANYTHING about this obscure book. It may be extremely rare too, I DON'T KNOW.

Well I didn't know anything about this book either, except it fits the same "ordering screen" criteria as ASM 667 Dell'Otto (i.e 1 case pack with single comic dimensions). So I looked it up.

Looks like MCS has at least 2 copies available, for $3.20 and $2.40.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=kirby+genesis+3&pubid=&PubRng=

And there are 2 more for sale currently on eBay.

Again, no one is saying 667 DO isn't rare; we are saying -- just like Comichron -- one cannot determine number of copies based on this data alone.

Again, if you have further proof -- hard, physical proof -- supply it. Or tell someone else how to get it; if your "friend" can dig up this info, why can't others?

Otherwise this is just a multi-year troll exercise.

6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Batman 608RRP was valuable immediately and people on this very board said there were 300 copies or less.  There are more than 300 copies on the CGC census.  That book was not even from Diamond distribution. What exactly do you want me to compare?

It doesn't matter what the book's distribution method was once it is released into the secondary market. :gossip: And FYI the 667 Dell'otto was also valuable when it first dropped. Just because you never heard of it or knew anything about it before 2015 (because it is so rare, ya think?) when I first brought it to the attention of these boards, doesn't mean other people weren't hunting the book and paying $ for it.

"And didn't you post a graph comparing the Bats 608RRP submissions to the ASM 667?  Let's have a closer look at that comparison now.  The 667 Dell'otto is now about 8 years old.  In 8 full years, a measly 45 copies show on the census (we will just pretend that some of those aren't resubs and sigs to make you feel better).

How many of the Bats 608RRP were on the census after 8 years ? 

That's right, it took a book, that's also super rare and also has sold for a lot of money pretty much right out the gate, that also features a top tier character in a long running flagship top selling title, 8 years to get to that 229 number. 

The Dell'otto, over the same period of time, delivered less than 20% of that.  

Go figure."

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

2 hours ago, the blob said:

Except Marvel and DC used to allow employees at all levels to take home lots of comics. My local shop had several Marvel and DC employees who would bring in their monthly hauls for store credit or just sell them outright. In high school my friend's brother worked there in college and he would bring home tons of stuff. Granted, this was before there were so many variants floating around. You had Spider-Man 1 platinum and not a whole lot else. And pre-bankruptcy. Indeed, the Marvel offices used to have free comics sitting around in their reception area in the 80s. I just have no idea if this is still the culture there.

I certainly believe that as it was the culture but this is not “corporate culture” any longer. 

I do not work for either company so my thoughts and or opinions are just that. Not facts.

11 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:
19 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Batman 608RRP was valuable immediately and people on this very board said there were 300 copies or less.  There are more than 300 copies on the CGC census.  That book was not even from Diamond distribution. What exactly do you want me to compare?

It doesn't matter what the book's distribution method was once it is released into the secondary market. :gossip: And FYI the 667 Dell'otto was also valuable when it first dropped. Just because you never heard of it or knew anything about it before 2015 (because it is so rare, ya think?) when I first brought it to the attention of these boards, doesn't mean other people weren't hunting the book and paying $ for it.

"And didn't you post a graph comparing the Bats 608RRP submissions to the ASM 667?  Let's have a closer look at that comparison now.  The 667 Dell'otto is now about 8 years old.  In 8 full years, a measly 45 copies show on the census (we will just pretend that some of those aren't resubs and sigs to make you feel better).

How many of the Bats 608RRP were on the census after 8 years ? 

That's right, it took a book, that's also super rare and also has sold for a lot of money pretty much right out the gate, that also features a top tier character in a long running flagship top selling title, 8 years to get to that 229 number. 

The Dell'otto, over the same period of time, delivered less than 20% of that.  

Go figure."

-J.

Yes, I did. 

image.png.0dcd30cf2f22fd8d69ed8b8b8c5c6c

Because that giant spike in the ASM #667 Dell'Otto line in the 9th year screams "that shouldn't be there!"  Something has happened this year, specific to TOO MANY additional copies of ASM #667 Dell'Otto suddenly being sent to CGC without something happening, like Walking Dead getting a popular show.  That would cause a spike in the 9th year.  Nothing has happened this year... but somehow the CGC Census went from 36 to 46 in the 9th year.  As I said before, a conspiracy theorist would say someone has a stack and they're slowly sending them to CGC to keep the market from collapsing.

Edited by valiantman

7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Yes, I did. 

Because that giant spike in the ASM #667 Dell'Otto line in the 9th year screams "that shouldn't be there!"  Something has happened this year, specific to TOO MANY additional copies of ASM #667 Dell'Otto suddenly being sent to CGC without something happening, like Walking Dead getting a popular show.  That would cause a spike in the 9th year.  Nothing has happened this year... but somehow the CGC Census went from 36 to 46 in the 9th year.  As I said before, a conspiracy theorist would say someone has a stack and they're slowly sending them to CGC to keep the market from collapsing.

Again, nooooooo...

It went from 36 to 45.

And so what?

There were only 3 copies submitted a couple of years ago, and the book was selling for multiple thousands then too.

That's still about TWO HUNDRED COPIES LESS than the Bats 608RRP over the same 8 year period of time.  Did nobody think to "slowly release" those over time, or is just the 667 Dell'otto only special for some reason lol.

-J.

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

Again, nooooooo...

It went from 36 to 45.

And so what?

There were only 3 copies submitted a couple of years ago, and the book was selling for multiple thousands then too.

That's still about TWO HUNDRED COPIES LESS than the Bats 608RRP over the same 8 year period of time.  Did nobody think to "slowly release" those over time, or is just the 667 Dell'otto only special for some reason lol.

-J.

I don't have a horse in the race, but getting all conspiracy theory over 9 copies getting submitted seems silly. 90 and I'd be totally on board.

8 minutes ago, the blob said:

I don't have a horse in the race, but getting all conspiracy theory over 9 copies getting submitted seems silly. 90 and I'd be totally on board.

lol I was going to say the same thing but lost interest at the end of my last post. 

Thanks for pointing out the obvious though.  

It's been fun. :grin:

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Apologies if I didn't link this right ... but the guy who traded Kwan Chang 3 copies for some OA apparently didn't have a tough time sourcing these.
Which is what probably led to the spike in gradings, along with some grade/crack/press/repeat.

I suspect there are more copies like this. Buried in ASM collections by folks who get every ASM related book that their LCS gets in.
We anecdotally know of a store that got a copy and did not order the required 100 copies of cover A (UK shop).

Why can't any of those exist in the US. Also, if they did order a 100 maybe the store gives variants to their loyal subscribers (an ASM run collector fits that bill) at cover price.
It's possible we'll never see them in the census since they're the type of collector that doesn't grade books and it's buried in their long boxes.

Bat608 is not entirely comparable due to the fact that it went immediately into the hands of retailers who wanted to capitalize on it. (most of them at least).

ASM667 DO is not easy to find. But bottom line we can't glean any production numbers from the Diamond ordering system.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

10 copies in 2019. Another one this month.  If anyone had 90, they'd be a complete maroon to submit them all at once.

Conspiracy theories don't suggest people are secretly buffoons. That's not hard to spot. They suggest people are duplicitous... like having a stack and sending them 12 a year (it's still October) in the 9th year of CGC grading after previous years had only 2 or 3.

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

10 copies in 2019. Another one this month.  If anyone had 90, they'd be a complete maroon to submit them all at once.

Conspiracy theories don't suggest people are secretly buffoons. That's not hard to spot. They suggest people are duplicitous... like having a stack and sending them 12 a year (it's still October) in the 9th year of CGC grading after previous years had only 2 or 3.

:gossip: It was nine.  And the last copy added was Sept. 24, not this month. 

Given that you run cgcdata.com, I would expect for you to at least get this kind of info right.  

Oh and also.. :gossip: Prior to this year the book averaged about 5.1 copies added per year.  That means it has only been a grand total of just four "more copies" added this year (not accounting for resubs of course). Your conspiracy theory amounts to four copies. Lol. You're really reaching now dude.  Now try to convince people up is down and black is white. 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

6 hours ago, valiantman said:

If this "Case Pack: 1" documentation is all there is, then I'm even more confident in the actual calculations that put 400 to 600 copies of these in the estimated print run (distributed).

I think the  deductions on case packs  are totally wrong ! case packs SIZE are the amount of books shipped in SINGLE case from the printer. case pack 1 means one case is x amount of books and can be ordered by the case under that stk number.  case pack 1 has a different stock number because its a qualifying order and needs to be approved in the system and cannot be ordered by the case. . A case pack from the printer , a case of the variant would still be 225 books (ams 667) in a case. how it is solicited and sold is another story. case pack 1 also lets them qualify the order. the Hans variant had a case pack of 225 because once you reached the percentage you could order a case. the Genesis 3 said case pack one because they had to count and qualify you to order . books still come from the printer in cases. The solicits are diamonds internal system to the retail end, not anything to do with received items, except lot or assigned codes.

Edited by paul747

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

Yes, I did. 

Price happened and keeps happening, higher.  still anywhere from 175 to 400 possible copies out there theoretically. 10 copies in one year is very very small .

Edited by paul747

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

:gossip: It was nine.  And the last copy added was Sept. 24, not this month. 

Given that you run cgcdata.com, I would expect for you to at least get this kind of info right.  

Given that I run CGCdata.com, I always check the official CGC census and it's 10. Another new one in October.

I have unknowingly been sitting on the hughes supergirl 23 for 8-10 years. I pulled a nyx 3 out of a bag with 6 other comics in it not long ago. Not everyone is paying attention to their collection.

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

You're really reaching now dude.  

... says the guy who looked at a pre-order solicitation and declared it as proof for the final print run numbers of the rarest Marvel comic of all time (that Marvel somehow forgot to mention yet, eight years later).

Edited by valiantman