• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

Using the census as an 'idea' of how many copies are out there is just as misguided as trying to figure variant print runs from Comichron numbers. CGC is a SMALL percentage of this hobby. Very, very small.

Doesn't anybody work at Midtown Comics or know someone who works there? Maybe they can find out how many copies THEY ordered. They're probably one of the biggest ordering ASM stores in the country.

50 minutes ago, valiantman said:

... says the guy who looked at a pre-order solicitation and declared it as proof for the final print run numbers of the rarest Marvel comic of all time (that Marvel somehow forgot to mention yet, eight years later).

You don't know what I've seen sport. (thumbsu

-J.

15 minutes ago, I like pie said:

I don't know why you guys entertain him. If Marvel came to this thread and made an official post that there was 600 printed, he would still argue it with some ridiculous excuse.

And "if" a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its arse when it jumped.

Still waiting to see one single constructive post out of you by the way.  Literally all you do is troll. If you don't like what's being discussed here you're free to move along.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

16 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

There's something called algebra which would allow you to very easily come up with a formula to break the big number down. But I get that that wouldn't take ordering differences into the equation.

Here's an easy question; Let's say that in a run of 10 issues of a comic, every issue had a 1:10 variant and a 1:20 variant. Barring information that these variants were distributed in an additional way, would you expect there to be more 1:10 or 1:20 variants available on the market? Why?

I'm sure I'm very late to this party, but probably about the same. There would be MANY more 1:10s than 1:100s, however because of ordering patterns. There would be roughly the equivalent number of 1:10s to the print run ratio, whereas the 1:100s would be significantly less because not every store would order 100 copies.

3 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

I'd love to see the Diamond solicits for this book, which is really really hard to find.

image.png

Wasn't there a story going around about this one - something about the delivery truck crashing and most copies getting destroyed? It might have come from Chuck?

9 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

I'd love to see the Diamond solicits for this book, which is really really hard to find.

image.png

image.png.9f60b57cca6a4178ae1f0efa3090d6ba.png

Obviously, Diamond does not update these pages AFTER the books are ordered, or there would be a correct cover image.  Case Pack 1 (or 200 or 225 or whatever) is in the database before the orders come in. It cannot be a print run indicator.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Obviously, Diamond does not update these pages AFTER the books are ordered, or there would be a correct cover image.  Case Pack 1 (or 200 or 225 or whatever) is in the database before the orders come in. It cannot be a print run indicator.

Its not a print run indicator, its how many books are packed in a case.  FACT ! It is internal to match their stk numbers 

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:26 AM, valiantman said:

Boy, is this going to ruin your day :insane:...

I put in another call to Diamond and ran through several of these ASM item codes with a few of their reps.

The first three had no idea why there would be a "1" there for case pack quantity.

Then I got a hold of one of the main Marvel guys over there again, gave him a few of the item codes, including the ones for the 667 Dell'otto, and the 648 Campbell colour.

I had to ask my questions in a general way, because no, they do not and will not give out specific info about print runs (obviously).  So, after letting him look at both the 648 colour Campbell and the 667 Hans, I asked him to look at the 667 Dell'otto and I phrased my question like this:  "Generally speaking, what did it mean when Diamond coded the case pack quantity as '1'"?

First, he was curious as to why I was even asking about a 10 year old book.  I told him he was settling a dispute (not an untruth).

While he was muttering to himself under his breath, reading through the info of the 667 Dell'otto, I told him my (Chuck's) operating theory-  That there were not enough of the Dell'otto 667 ordered to fulfill an entire case pack for that issue.

He said, "let me look at the orders received for that issue", paused a moment, and then said that there were "just about 200 orders for that book" (less than the 225 per case pack for that issue, hence only a "1").

Then he went back to the 648 colour Campbell saying "let's test your theory on that one", and said there were "about 400" of that one ordered (more than the 130 per case pack for that issue, hence why the number per case pack populated, "130").

After looking at a couple more things he stated:

1)  Marvel does not determine how many books go per case pack, the printer does

2)  Diamond used to update(s) that number once they receive the order of books from the printer, and the book shipped.

3)  Diamond does not (always) do that anymore

4)  He was happy to settle the dispute (really nice guy, actually).

So in closing, YES, there were only a couple of hundred copies of the ASM 667 Dell'otto ordered, printed, and distributed, or, LESS than one case pack.

And.. as a bonus piece of info, only about 400 of the ASM 648 colour Campbell's printed and distributed.

Essentially confirming yet again and once and for all what those in the know who have followed and investigated the book for years have speculated based on all prevailing indicators.  (thumbsu

-J.